Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman fails to shut down Hadron Collider

Saru

A German court has rejected the case of a woman who claims the atom smasher would destroy the world.

A German woman who feared the Earth would be sucked into oblivion in a black hole failed Tuesday in her court bid to stop the work of the world's most powerful atom smasher.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I for one welcome our new Draconic overlords, and I hope the first person fed to them is this silly woman who wanted to prevent their arrival via the Hadron Gateway.

• Like 1

That would be rather ironic; striving for knowledge and instead conjuring up our own doom, and not even with a weapon.

When I read the title my first thought was 'did she just forget to turn it off after a long hard day of science?' But now that I've read the article, I can actually offer an opinion. Scientific progress always has a chance of being destructive, but many scientists were pretty darn sure the world wasn't gonna explode by turning this thing on, especially since it's been running for a while now, and running tests!

• Like 4

When I read the title my first thought was 'did she just forget to turn it off after a long hard day of science?'

Snap :blush:

At least she followed due process. Lots of cultures try to kill people or blow things up if they disagree. This lady took it to court. I give her credit for her civilised behaviour.

We are doomed

I say never take a women opinion seriously.

chill, i was just joking a little :whistle:

I truly wonder how this made it into a court room unless she had some evidence that it was ruled should be heard - nothing about her background or what she was presenting that was considered worthy of a trial is presented in the article.

Of course, the obvious answer is that the only "black hole" this woman is going to experience is in her bank account once her lawyers and the legal system hands her the bill.

At least she followed due process. Lots of cultures try to kill people or blow things up if they disagree. This lady took it to court. I give her credit for her civilised behaviour.

Unfortunately, her 'civilized behavior' includes being batsh!t insane and seemingly lacking an education.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

To her credit, the Hadron collider might actually be creating black holes. Possibly thousands / millions by now. They are super tiny and break down in a few nanoseconds (micro black holes). I'm sure there's a model in which a micro black hole can get shot just the right way and achieve just the right amount of stability to grow when it collides with the machinery around it. Even if it's a one in a trillion chance of happening in the lifetime of the device, is it something we should be toying with? The prevalent theories of today say it can't happen or even if it does, it'll evaporate at the quantum level, but the prevalent theories of today are not perfect. I personally think there's no danger, but I'm not perfect as well :devil:

Who says we are going to die when we go in a black hole. Nobody knows exactly what a black hole is... ,

It could be quite fascinating to go in there, and we have first ticket in the row wooott ...!

Still kinda stupid of the woman to argue against tons of researchers that it's dangerous.

Who says we are going to die when we go in a black hole. Nobody knows exactly what a black hole is... ,

It could be quite fascinating to go in there, and we have first ticket in the row wooott ...!

Still kinda stupid of the woman to argue against tons of researchers that it's dangerous.

when u go inside a black hole u either magically fly into an alternate dimension and meet aliens or you get crushed by the pressure and die
  • Like 1

ehm, innit a wee too late to decide whether the earth would disappear now? I mean the experiment phase is over...

A black hole is more realistic than this guy's crackpot story.

• Like 1

Shouldn't the term be a "singularity" and not black hole. Black holes are collapsed stars. A singularity is a point of infinitesimal volume and infinite density in which space and time are infinitely distorted. :tsu:

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Its so stupid I couldn't even get all the way through the video without giggling my ass off. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

• Like 1

I wonder if she's gonna sue the Maya's for 2012 next.

Not until after Dec 21st she's not. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb

ehm, innit a wee too late to decide whether the earth would disappear now? I mean the experiment phase is over...

You're talking about the Higgs boson experiment. Those are concluded for now, pending results from the analysis (due out in December). The LHC will do thousands of other experiments requested from all over the world during it's lifetime. At the end of its life cycle, they will crank it up and push it over its limits and do some very interesting very high energy experiments. If something weird can happen, it's more likely it'll happen then.

Priceless! Thanks for the laughs :rofl: Humans landing on the moon? Preposterous! Micro black holes? Preposterous! Satan and his minions coming to Earth from a mysterious undiscovered planet through a stargate opened in the Van Alden belt by the LHC is a very serious matter though *facepalm*

• Like 1