Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Could this virus cure cancer?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

www.brisbanetimes.com.au said:

Australian scientists are leading a global charge to combat one of the world's worst killers with a surprising secret weapon - the common cold.
It's a tempting idea and one on the cutting edge of a new medical research field called oncolytic virotherapy.Could the common cold cure cancer?


Read more: http://www.brisbanet...20120421-1xdtf.
Alternate source-- if the above does not work:
http://www.brisbanet...0421-1xdtf.html

Posted Image Read more...
Another step forward in cancer treatment.

Edited by Karlis, 25 April 2012 - 05:34 AM.
Added another source

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#2    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 13,939 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostDKO, on 23 April 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

Another step forward in cancer treatment.

You DO realize this is the exact plot line for the end of the world in the movie I AM LEGEND?

Virologists were mucking about with cancer cures and used the cold virus as a weapon.  It worked in 100% of the cases.  Then a few months later it mutated and Will Smith was left with his German Shepherd and a lot of bad dreams.... :ph34r:

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postand then, on 23 April 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

You DO realize this is the exact plot line for the end of the world in the movie I AM LEGEND?

Virologists were mucking about with cancer cures and used the cold virus as a weapon.  It worked in 100% of the cases.  Then a few months later it mutated and Will Smith was left with his German Shepherd and a lot of bad dreams.... :ph34r:

Oh yeah thats right haha. Hopefully this wont turn out the same way. :lol:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#4    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

    Stinky Cheese

  • Member
  • 6,874 posts
  • Joined:27 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Oops.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

View Postand then, on 23 April 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

You DO realize this is the exact plot line for the end of the world in the movie I AM LEGEND?

Virologists were mucking about with cancer cures and used the cold virus as a weapon.  It worked in 100% of the cases.  Then a few months later it mutated and Will Smith was left with his German Shepherd and a lot of bad dreams.... :ph34r:
...

I saw another movie where they turned people into zombies!OMG!


  :unsure:
:rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Postand then, on 23 April 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

You DO realize this is the exact plot line for the end of the world in the movie I AM LEGEND?

Virologists were mucking about with cancer cures and used the cold virus as a   apon.  It worked in 100% of the cases.  Then a few months later it mutated and Will Smith was left with his German Shepherd and a lot of bad dreams.... :ph34r:
:rofl:
:rofl:
:rofl:

Miss me?

#6    seller2006

seller2006

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario, Canada

  • Student of the Quran

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Cancer has reversibility in the early stages with the use of cannabis oil , hemp seeds oil , probably many other natural methods. Not onlyt hat since 1940 we have had a 2000% increase in cancers, rare ones arent rare any longer. I wonder what has changed from 3000 yrs when all cancers were benign to today -.- ... seems as if there s more profit where there is more cancer, so why not invest money where there is NO cure, when the real cure is literally free -.-


#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,165 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

View Postseller2006, on 24 April 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Cancer has reversibility in the early stages with the use of cannabis oil , hemp seeds oil , probably many other natural methods. Not onlyt hat since 1940 we have had a 2000% increase in cancers, rare ones arent rare any longer. I wonder what has changed from 3000 yrs when all cancers were benign to today -.- ... seems as if there s more profit where there is more cancer, so why not invest money where there is NO cure, when the real cure is literally free -.-
Why not get your facts straight first? The earliest description of cancer was written in ~3000BC. http://onlinelibrary....25553/abstract

BTW benign cancer is an oxymoron.

Edited by Rlyeh, 24 April 2012 - 07:38 PM.


#8    George Ford

George Ford

    smile

  • Member
  • 2,828 posts
  • Joined:02 May 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sunderland UK

  • "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Probably just coincidence. Some cancer patients go itto remission sometimes. Due to low immune system lots of them have various stages of a cold at any one time. You could probably also say tap water or some random snack bar can help cure cancer too. Anyway, deaths not that bigger deal anyway, just ask god.


#9    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,380 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postseller2006, on 24 April 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Cancer has reversibility in the early stages with the use of cannabis oil , hemp seeds oil , probably many other natural methods. Not onlyt hat since 1940 we have had a 2000% increase in cancers, rare ones arent rare any longer. I wonder what has changed from 3000 yrs when all cancers were benign to today -.- ... seems as if there s more profit where there is more cancer, so why not invest money where there is NO cure, when the real cure is literally free -.-


People live longer and there has not been a 2000% increase from the 40s. Rare cancers are rare by convention.  Lung cancer was the most common cancer at the turn of the 20th century and it is still the most common cancer.  What early stages are you talking about?  Cancer is basically reversible by your own immune system when it is just a couple of cells.  Also, cancer is never benign.


#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Prostate cancer is more common than lung cancer,and there are many cures for cancer .
People who are smart enough to not listen to the big pharm stock owning MDs ,all teaching medical school ,live lives lot longer than the people who go to the people who were lectured by those same big pharm stock owning MDs,who can't do,but "teach".
*titters*

The instance of cancer has increased exponentially over the last 70 years,but the lovely medical community LIES about it,and claims the numbers are going down,so the sheeple are all lulled into a false sense of adoration for their doctors,who are lining their pockets with your misery.

http://www.preventca...manipulates.htm
They need funding,to do research to find a cure they will never make available to the public !
Rah rah rah !


There are many cures for cancer.It depends upon what kind you have,and how advanced it is,that will determined your mortality.

But if say you tell people how to cure themselves,without being cut up ,tortured and maimed,while the oncologist and all his cronies get 1000$s in insurance dollars, they put you in jail.

*titters again*

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 25 April 2012 - 12:39 AM.

Miss me?

#11    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 April 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Prostate cancer is more common than lung cancer, ...
Simbi Laveau, when one makes such a sweeping statement, one should quote source/s to support their opinion. Your above statement may be mistaken, going by the following:

Question: What Is the Most Common Cancer in the U.S.?
Answer:

... The most common cause of cancer deaths in both men and women, in the United States and worldwide, is lung cancer.
It was estimated that in 2010 there would be 220,000 new cases of lung cancer diagnosed in the United States.  This is followed by prostate cancer (217,730 cases), ...

... In men, prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer diagnosed, but roughly 3 times as many men die from lung cancer as do from prostate cancer.
Source


That said, most of the posts in this thread are derailing the topic. If anyone cares to comment on the OP, please do so. This is *not* the Humour and Jokes forum board.

Thanks,
Karlis -- mod team member



#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

View PostKarlis, on 25 April 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

Simbi Laveau, when one makes such a sweeping statement, one should quote source/s to support their opinion. Your above statement may be mistaken, going by the following:

Question: What Is the Most Common Cancer in the U.S.?
Answer:

... The most common cause of cancer deaths in both men and women, in the United States and worldwide, is lung cancer.
It was estimated that in 2010 there would be 220,000 new cases of lung cancer diagnosed in the United States.  This is followed by prostate cancer (217,730 cases), ...

... In men, prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer diagnosed, but roughly 3 times as many men die from lung cancer as do from prostate cancer.
Source


That said, most of the posts in this thread are derailing the topic. If anyone cares to comment on the OP, please do so. This is *not* the Humour and Jokes forum board.

Thanks,
Karlis -- mod team member


It depends upon who's data you look at,so putting proof,is redundant,as for every link I post saying it's prostate cancer,there will be a link saying it's lung cancer.

As some say prostate is first,and some say lung,but the data I looked at,from few sources, prostate surpassed lung by 1000s,irregardless of sex,color or creed.As it all changes depending upon which demographic or sex,you choose to look at.
Black cancer instances,are completely reversed from whites,depending upon where you look.
I tend to not believe anything from a website that has .gov at the end of it.

These sheets also ,in a lot of cases,completely leave breast cancer off the list,and I find it hard to believe there is more lung cancer,than breast cancer.
All you have to do is talk to your friends.
How many have or know women with breast cancer,and then how many people you know with lung cancer ?

I've known one person with lung cancer ,4 with prostate,and over 10,male and female,with breast cancer.
I've known more people with colon cancer and brain tumors ,than lung cancer.
So it just makes more sense to me,that it's more than likely prostate cancer .

Miss me?

#13    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 April 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

It depends upon who's data you look at,so putting proof,is redundant,as for every link I post saying it's prostate cancer,there will be a link saying it's lung cancer.

As some say prostate is first,and some say lung,but the data I looked at,from few sources, prostate surpassed lung by 1000s,irregardless of sex,color or creed.As it all changes depending upon which demographic or sex,you choose to look at.
Black cancer instances,are completely reversed from whites,depending upon where you look.
I tend to not believe anything from a website that has .gov at the end of it.

These sheets also ,in a lot of cases,completely leave breast cancer off the list,and I find it hard to believe there is more lung cancer,than breast cancer.
All you have to do is talk to your friends.
How many have or know women with breast cancer,and then how many people you know with lung cancer ?

I've known one person with lung cancer ,4 with prostate,and over 10,male and female,with breast cancer.
I've known more people with colon cancer and brain tumors ,than lung cancer.
So it just makes more sense to me,that it's more than likely prostate cancer .
That said -- the topic of the OP is "oncolytic virotherapy." -- "Could the common cold cure cancer?"

Edited by Karlis, 25 April 2012 - 05:38 AM.


#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,165 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 April 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

There are many cures for cancer.It depends upon what kind you have,and how advanced it is,that will determined your mortality.

But if say you tell people how to cure themselves,without being cut up ,tortured and maimed,while the oncologist and all his cronies get 1000$s in insurance dollars, they put you in jail.

*titters again*
Ofcourse scammers should be jailed. I can understand why you're concerned.


#15    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,380 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 April 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Prostate cancer is more common than lung cancer,and there are many cures for cancer .
People who are smart enough to not listen to the big pharm stock owning MDs ,all teaching medical school ,live lives lot longer than the people who go to the people who were lectured by those same big pharm stock owning MDs,who can't do,but "teach".
*titters*

The instance of cancer has increased exponentially over the last 70 years,but the lovely medical community LIES about it,and claims the numbers are going down,so the sheeple are all lulled into a false sense of adoration for their doctors,who are lining their pockets with your misery.

http://www.preventca...manipulates.htm
They need funding,to do research to find a cure they will never make available to the public !
Rah rah rah !


There are many cures for cancer.It depends upon what kind you have,and how advanced it is,that will determined your mortality.

But if say you tell people how to cure themselves,without being cut up ,tortured and maimed,while the oncologist and all his cronies get 1000$s in insurance dollars, they put you in jail.

*titters again*
Wow!  I am always so surprised by how little you know about medical issues.  I never said it was not increasing.  It will keep increasing as long as people keep living longer until we find a dependable treatment or prevention, cure is not really the right word.  I am sure that your disdain for anyone smarter or more educated than you will serve you well in your lifetime.  :rolleyes:

Edited by FurthurBB, 25 April 2012 - 01:25 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users