Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Atheist school pupils denied free bus

free bus school religion atheist children

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,970 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Children attending faith schools will have to “prove” their religion to qualify for free school buses, under a radical council plan.

In what is thought to be the first move of its kind in the country, children in Flintshire, north Wales whose parents are non-believers will be denied free transport to school.

Parents and Roman Catholic priests in the area have united to accuse the council, which is making cuts, of discrimination against people without religious faith.

http://www.telegraph...school-bus.html

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,140 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Maybe the council should have to prove their religion to get paid or be on the council.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,772 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

It is these types who bring hatred down on Christians.  If these children truly are atheist (doubtful at such an age) then all the MORE reason to have them among believers so that they can at least here other ideas about faith.  Christ ate with publicans and tax collectors - are these Welsh better?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,466 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostHilander, on 09 March 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

Maybe the council should have to prove their religion to get paid or be on the council.

They should have to prove that they are good people, which they can never do.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious
conviction." - Blaise Pascal

#5    Timmeh

Timmeh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Like I say about all governments "Anyone with enough common-sense to run a country has the common-sense not to".

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,619 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostTimmeh, on 09 March 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

Like I say about all governments "Anyone with enough common-sense to run a country has the common-sense not to".
Unfortunately that is the very reason we can never trust our "leaders"..... ( yoda voice).....  A Screwed up system it is.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

View Postand then, on 09 March 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

If these children truly are atheist (doubtful at such an age) then all the MORE reason to have them among believers so that they can at least here other ideas about faith.  

It doesn't actually say "atheist". It says the kids need a baptism certificate or some other document that will make the school think they're Catholic enough to ride their bus.

I found the article kind of funny. They have government budget cuts. They want to cut down on bus service. What do they do? Decide who gets to ride the bus on subjective measurements of faith like documents and letters from priests. Who would have thought that you would have to get baptized to ride a bus?

In the U.S. this kind of subsidy would be illegal in the first place.

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,632 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postscowl, on 11 March 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

In the U.S. this kind of subsidy would be illegal in the first place.

Use to be, but parents can get  vouchers for their children to attend religious schools in Florida. I voted against it, because it takes way money from the public schools.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 23,015 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 09 March 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Children attending faith schools will have to “prove” their religion to qualify for free school buses, under a radical council plan.

In what is thought to be the first move of its kind in the country, children in Flintshire, north Wales whose parents are non-believers will be denied free transport to school.

Parents and Roman Catholic priests in the area have united to accuse the council, which is making cuts, of discrimination against people without religious faith.

http://www.telegraph...school-bus.html

This is not new, I think because there are so many issues(pending) as of late with the Catholic church that they are most likely very concerned with membership (the for life kind) and  this is an incentive for the kids/parents that are going to their school anyways (who are sitting on the fence) to go ahead and get baptized etc.

Also tagged with free bus, school, religion, atheist, children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users