Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained bright flash of light

MizzWhite82

Me and my children and an adult cousin of mine were looking at a television show at about 1pm. It was a cloudy overcast day. Let me explain that my windows were closed, blinds shut, and I have room darkening curtains that cover the whole window. While we were watching television a bright flash of light like lightning flashed from the left wall up near the ceiling to the right side of the room and disappeared instantly. Along with the light we heard a noise sort of like a knock at the door. It hasn't occurred again yet although I'm on the lookout. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before, and how it could be explained. I'm ready to go on a paranormal hunt since it was during the day and there was no thunderstorm. My daughter also saw the light. She asked me before I could get the words out of my mouth about it. My cousin who was sitting right beside me, did not see it but she heard the noise we all heard. Hopefully I can find out some information on this subject and what it could be. My husband thinks it has something to do with my mother passing away in the living room on the side where the light came from almost a year ago. SCARY to think about but I am open minded and love researching the paranormal.

I don't know about the knock at the door, but there is a thing called "dry lightning" where lightning can occur seemingly with no rain or storm in view.

You can get what they call bolt out of the blue. Lightening can travel up to 5 miles. There was a guy working on a golf course near my house on a clear day and was hit by lightening from a storm 5 miles away. I don't think it would hurt to have an electrician check out the wiring, though.

• Like 1

Maybe it was ball lightning? There's a Wikipedia page that explains it and it sounds like what you experienced. I'll get a video of it when I can.

such a dry skeptical line this has become..::sigh::

it could be mom..but i would also check for other interference. 'you know who' likes to play with light and electricity...and yes, they have been been known to knock at the door(run on the roofs too)

check out the area thoroughly..and watch and see if there are more anomalies in the days to come...::thumbs::

Edited by julia52

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I too have experienced something similar only in my case it happened as a part of a long series of paranormal events that included strange noises, strange feelings of being watched and sleep disturbances. My advice would be not to pay it too much attention and wait for it to die down. If that dosen't work you may need to use prayer to get it to stop. If that dosen't work. You might want to call a Catholic Priest

I had an event happen when I was at work about 1 year ago. My desk was up against a wall(hallway on other side of wall)and I was walking toward my desk reaching for a pen when all of a sudden, what looked like a huge mass of electricity about the size of 2-3 basket balls, came shooting out of the wall in front of me. It made a loud crackling. It disappeared as fast as it appeared noise and left no smells, and I was left standing there stunned. It was tremendous. The maintenance electrician came checked all circuits, and changed out the nearest power outlet. Found nothing at all to explain the anomoly. That's my story...