Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Searching for The Krakenís Cousin:

kraken jumbo squid

  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,552 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

William Gilly has seen a Kraken. The mythical squid beast with ship-dooming tentacles surely exists, Gilly says, because he’s seen a baby one. “It was this big around,” he says, making a circle as big as a tire with his arms, a proud, boyish smile on his face. Fishermen spotted the carcass of the 8-foot-long, 400-pound baby giant squid in Monterey Bay three years ago, according to Gilly.

“If you’re an assistant professor proposing to study it, I don’t think you’d get tenure,” he says. “But one has to exist.”

http://www.wired.com...oldt-squid/all/

Posted Image

#2    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    ďWhatís wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Heres what I dont understand, Squids have a fast life meaning they only live for about 2 years from what Iv read, Now im guessing they would grow fast to if there going to be mythical Kraken size. I mean werent Krakens said to be so big they were mistaken for islands..??

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#3    Vidgange

Vidgange

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2005

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

 R4z3rsPar4d0x, on 13 October 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Heres what I dont understand, Squids have a fast life meaning they only live for about 2 years from what Iv read, Now im guessing they would grow fast to if there going to be mythical Kraken size. I mean werent Krakens said to be so big they were mistaken for islands..??

I'm guessing certain stories are exaggerations... You see something unfamiliar and terrifying, and suddenly you think it's 10x the actual size.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#4    NickKilcoyne

NickKilcoyne

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined:14 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon

  • Author of Bologna or Not? Vol. I & II

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Perhaps like other species, the bigger ones tend to live longer. Look at the tortoise, it lives, what, 200 years? Maybe they only need to mate every few years or perhaps even centuries due to their elongated existence, causing their population to be sparse.


#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,763 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I always considered a Kraken more akin to an octopus than a squid.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Ive always considered a kraken more akin to fantasy then reality.


Be cool if they did find proof, maybe study it, learn from it, etc.

Anyway, im off for a toast sandwich.

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#7    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

 Super-Fly, on 14 October 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Ive always considered a kraken more akin to fantasy then reality.

I love when people just shut themselves off completely instead of thinking: "Hm, we have giant squid. I wonder if what people used to call a "Kraken" could actually be something that really actually exists just with a different name. Gee, that's kind of a reasonable assumption, isn't it?"

Posted Image


#8    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

 Xetan, on 14 October 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I love when people just shut themselves off completely instead of thinking: "Hm, we have giant squid. I wonder if what people used to call a "Kraken" could actually be something that really actually exists just with a different name. Gee, that's kind of a reasonable assumption, isn't it?"

Just an opinion, you have yours, i have mine.

Plus, if they called a giant squid a kraken, then it doesnt mean they exist.

Just means that we in this day and age are more educated and wise in comparison to
centuries ago.


Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Super-Fly, 14 October 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#9    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined:11 Aug 2012

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Eh, the Humboldt squid is relatively small as gigantic cephalopods go. They grow to be about five feet long or so (mantle length, doesn't count tentacles) and get to 100 pounds. The giant squid Architeuthus dux can grow to 8 feet by the mantle, and 350 pounds (length including the two extended tentacles and the arms can be 40 feet or more, though). The giant squid's big brother, the colossal squid is only known from a few specimens, one weighing over 1000 pounds and being 33 feet long with the tentacles, but could in theory grow to be somewhat larger. That doesn't preclude the existence of larger species in the deep ocean, it just means we haven't found them yet.


#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    ďWhatís wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

 Vidgange, on 13 October 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

I'm guessing certain stories are exaggerations... You see something unfamiliar and terrifying, and suddenly you think it's 10x the actual size.
Yeah but I mean you gotta consider these stories have some grain of truth to them

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#11    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    ďWhatís wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

 Ravinoff, on 14 October 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Eh, the Humboldt squid is relatively small as gigantic cephalopods go. They grow to be about five feet long or so (mantle length, doesn't count tentacles) and get to 100 pounds. The giant squid Architeuthus dux can grow to 8 feet by the mantle, and 350 pounds (length including the two extended tentacles and the arms can be 40 feet or more, though). The giant squid's big brother, the colossal squid is only known from a few specimens, one weighing over 1000 pounds and being 33 feet long with the tentacles, but could in theory grow to be somewhat larger. That doesn't preclude the existence of larger species in the deep ocean, it just means we haven't found them yet.
Yeah I saw this thing on MonsterQuest where they were looking for the Kraken and they got footage of these insanely long tentacles but the creature was too deep to make out, so all they really saw were its large tentacles. interesting stuff

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#12    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

 Super-Fly, on 14 October 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Plus, if they called a giant squid a kraken, then it doesnt mean they exist.

Just means that we in this day and age are more educated and wise in comparison to
centuries ago.

What the balls does this mean? If Kraken and Squid are the same thing, then yes, Kraken existed. Sure, it wasn't an island that sank when docked upon. Nobody is saying to rigidly follow a mythology. If you go to Spain and start talking about calamar, does that mean squids don't exist anymore?

Logic, windows, flying out.

Posted Image


#13    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

 Xetan, on 14 October 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

What the balls does this mean? If Kraken and Squid are the same thing, then yes, Kraken existed. Sure, it wasn't an island that sank when docked upon. Nobody is saying to rigidly follow a mythology. If you go to Spain and start talking about calamar, does that mean squids don't exist anymore?

Logic, windows, flying out.

They might have had ther wires crossed thats all,

Mistaking one thing for another.

Still,

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#14    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Joined:02 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere that has chocolate

  • "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I actually think it's possible a large octopus might live in the ocean discovered.

An octopus the size of an island? No. An octopus bigger than the ones we know of? Sure, it could happen. It might not be true, but we don't know.

But I do believe Kraken sightings might have just been giant squid.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis


#15    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined:11 Aug 2012

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

 R4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 October 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yeah I saw this thing on MonsterQuest where they were looking for the Kraken and they got footage of these insanely long tentacles but the creature was too deep to make out, so all they really saw were its large tentacles. interesting stuff
Any idea where they were? If they were in warmer waters, I'm thinking it might be a Magnapinna squid, possibly an unidentified species. They've spotted a few extremely long-armed bigfin squid in very deep water in the Gulf Of Mexico, and in the Pacific and Indian oceans.
Posted Image





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users