Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

San Jose

D1rtyDan

Hello friends, I stumbled upon this site and felt that I should register and make a post containing and addressing all urban legends surrounding San Jose. Over the course of the next few months I will attempt to discuss and investigate some of these myths and legends.

1. Hicks road

2. The "albino community"

3. "Cinnabar Hills Asylum"

4. Quicksilver mines / "devils door"

5. Old abandoned air force base

6. San Felipe Road

7. UTC

8. Old abandoned school?

9. Marsh Road

10. Alum Rock Park

11. Hellyer Park?

I will start by listing off what knowledge I have of each place and its lore, history, or past experiences.

1. Hicks Road - ???

Supposedly haunted, but I can't really find any stories detailing specific incidents, just that its a scary ass road. See "Devils Door"

2. The "albino community" - ???

From what I've gathered, along with close friends detailed reports, I am fairly certain this is a confirmed thing. I am under the impression that they have a small encampment located somewhere Around Hicks road / Alamitos Road. One of my coworkers told me a story about how he went up there one day about 15 (year 2000) years ago with his friends to see if the rumors of the albino people were true. Anyways, he came to a fork in the road and went left. He said it dead ended shortly after and got outside with his friends and saw a little foot bridge that crossed a small creek, so they crossed the bridge. They all had high powered flash lights and were shining it around the forest looking for what was around them. Then one of the friends looked upward towards the trees and saw bits of bed sheets strung together among the trees to form what looked like beds. They then noticed headlights from a truck coming from the fork that went right, they got scared and all hopped back in their car and hauled ass out of there, luckily they beat the oncoming truck to the fork and were able to escape.

Now, I think his story is pretty far off from what actually happened, considering it was 15 years ago but I think he has the main idea down. Now it was interesting because when I was researching the albinos, I only encountered one story that lines up with the beds in the trees. It told of a couple stopping along this road to makeout when suddenly someone dropped a rock on their car and broke their windshield, and then they looked up and saw a whole bunch of albinos surrounding them and armed with rocks and branches in the trees. It was odd that I found that because of the story my coworker told of them living in the trees. I plan to visit this place soon and will check out the foot bridge as well as the camp itself which is supposedly when you go right at the fork. Supposedly its a PUBLIC road where they have hung signs saying private property and several stories detail them wielding shotguns if your drive down this road which dead ends to a gate at the end.

There is too many other stories and variations to cover but I would suggest reading this thread about this place and some of the mentioned places I have discussed here. Supposedly the coordinates for this camp are 37°09′40.22″N 121°50′30.29″W

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57739&st=0

3. Cinnabar Hills Asylum - ???

There really seems to be a lack of information on this place. Posts online say that it is an actual place but that the exact location of it is not known. People seem to imply that this place is also incredibly dangerous, home to drug addicts, and even a possible meth lab. Someone online noted that this asylum is not on a national register so that this place may just be called an insane asylum even though it was something else, or it could have been a private facility. I am also unaware if you must hike to this building or if it is off of a main road. There was one picture I managed to find off of the internet as to its whereabouts.

https://www.tumblr.c...ar hills asylum

tumblr_m8m455pDCI1qj29mto1_500.jpg

4. Quicksilver Mines Trail / "Devils Door" - ???

Now, this is really a few things wrapped up in one. According the UM post linked earlier, on one of those pages, a member describes an approximate 8-10 hour hike beginning somewhere near a more residential area of San Jose and ending right around the albino camp, near Hicks / Alamitos Rd. He also mentions there is a shorter version of the hike that lasts about 4 hours but still shows most of the attractions along the way. Supposedly along this trail, you can find access to some of the Quick silver mine shafts, old abandoned buildings / structures, the basement to an old house?, "The Rock", and possibly whats known as the "Devils Door".

Now I really dont have much information on this but supposedly the old quicksilver mines in these hills have intricate tunnels that go on for miles. He also mentions that along this trail he saw many old abandoned building / structures that he stopped off at and explored.

The alleged "Devils Door" is supposedly a landmark along Hicks road, possibly along the hiking trail mentioned earlier. Im guessing this door is a barred off entrance to one of the mine shafts from the quicksilver mine, probably heavily spray painted, possibly creepy, and no one really seems to know its actual location.

There is also supposedly something called "The Rock" along this trail. It described as a big rock that ties into the cannibal albinos on Alamitos Road. Legend has it, the albinos used to sacrifice animals and possibly humans on the rock, but I doubt that and think its probably just a landmark along the trail.

5. Almaden Air Force Station - ???

Apparently this was an active base that was closed in the 60's and is not under video surveillance or patrolled by armed guards. It is located at the top of Mount Umanhum road, which is off of Hicks road, but the road is blocked by a fence apparently half way up. The station is believed to be a block house, as mentioned on this blog post http://crescentstar....oad-part-2.html

6. San Felipe Road - ???

I have heard from another coworker that this road is haunted and you will SOMETIMES be chased by a ghost/ phantom white truck. I also read a similar post from the previously posted 18 page UM thread.

7. UTC - ???

United Technologies Corporation. People say that back in the day they test launched a missile here, but now it seems to be pretty well rundown and taken over by the surrounding wildlife. This blogpost says that there is as many as 6 different gate entrances to this place, so it seems like its pretty masssive. Even though its run down, there are new flags waving outside the building and it would appear they are actively doing construction.

http://crescentstar....oad-part-3.html

8. Old abandoned school - ???

A friend told that there is an old abandoned school at the end of San Felipe road, but I think that he is mistaken, but there potentially could still exist such a school. He said it is past a gate. Does anyone have any information on this?

9. Marsh Road - ???

I have heard two distinct things about this road. The first is that there is another albino community located off this road but I havent seen enough information to confirm this. It was also the famous dumping spot of a murder victims body back in the day. The body was dumped under a bridge off this road somewhere and I have heard rumors that if you write someone name on the bridge the albino people will seek them out and kill them for you.

10. Alum Rock Park - ???

I have seen a few people saying that there are albino people in the hills of Alum Rock Park, but it doesnt seem like there is enough stories to think that this is true, it just seems like everyone knows a friend who says they saw them in the hills.

11. Hellyer Park - ???

This is probably nothing but atleast it is an interesting story. One coworker swears that around Hellyer park, where the velodrome is, that her friends were hiking around this area one day and stumbled upon what seemed to be a satanic ritual. They said that they encountered a circle of people in black robes who chased her friends away. Not sure if theres anything to this but it could be something to look into. The area itself seems rather small so i doubt that any satanic group lives there, they may just go there every once in a while to perform rituals or something.

Edited by D1rtyDan

Hi D1rtyDan, welcome to UM :st . I'm sure your long post will be of interest to plenty of people here :tsu:

UPDATE 10/14: Almaden Air Force Station

I found two interesting links on this place. The first is that it appears old vets that were stationed here are actively trying to clean it up and maybe even restore it a little? Anyways, seems like theres nothing spooky about this place, just kind of a cool urban exploration spot.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_19541475

Another link i found says that one person actually went inside and it has about four or five stories. I think this would be really cool to go into but he also mentions that the outside of the building has peeling lead paint and the inside has asbestos lining the ceiling. Can anyone advise me if it would be safe to explore the inside, and if so should i bring one of those medical masks or a respirator, or what.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=160851

• Like 1

As a member of the tech sector, and former employee of several Silicon Valley companies, I'd like to highlight a widely-believed myth surrounding Silicon Valley:

- Some people believe that tech startups in the Valley are fans of work/life balance. :clap:

Can you believe that folks are as dense as believing such nonsense! It's less believable than a sasquatch programming in C#.

Edited by Podo

So what do you want to know. I have moved out of the area but that is my blog you are mentioning.

My friend has gone inside. He hocked up with a ranger and was able tot go in and all the way up. Its dangerous but not the pain so much as the rat crap. It is very thick and he said it made for some slippery stairs. I had a couple of things he took for me. They were little labs from the control board that had lost there stick. I will check and see if he has the photos he too still. He lives a couple of miles from where I live now.

Edited by travelnjones

Hicks road/albino community........There is at least one topic here on that, a long one, with pics....Pretty much confirmed hoax.

Link to topic : http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57739&st=0

Edited by Sakari

10/20 UPDATES

1. Hicks Road - ???

Supposedly haunted, but I can't really find any stories detailing specific incidents, just that its a scary ass road. See "Devils Door"

BUSTED

Well I ended up driving this road last friday with some friends and nothing scary happened along the way. A lot of people say that this is a road that you do not want to break down on, this is true but I am fairly certain nothing bad will happen to you. Along the way we even saw some teens pulled over near the beginning of the road chit chatting.

2. The "albino community" - ???

From what I've gathered, along with close friends detailed reports, I am fairly certain this is a confirmed thing. I am under the impression that they have a small encampment located somewhere Around Hicks road / Alamitos Road. One of my coworkers told me a story about how he went up there one day about 15 (year 2000) years ago with his friends to see if the rumors of the albino people were true. Anyways, he came to a fork in the road and went left. He said it dead ended shortly after and got outside with his friends and saw a little foot bridge that crossed a small creek, so they crossed the bridge. They all had high powered flash lights and were shining it around the forest looking for what was around them. Then one of the friends looked upward towards the trees and saw bits of bed sheets strung together among the trees to form what looked like beds. They then noticed headlights from a truck coming from the fork that went right, they got scared and all hopped back in their car and hauled ass out of there, luckily they beat the oncoming truck to the fork and were able to escape.

Now, I think his story is pretty far off from what actually happened, considering it was 15 years ago but I think he has the main idea down. Now it was interesting because when I was researching the albinos, I only encountered one story that lines up with the beds in the trees. It told of a couple stopping along this road to makeout when suddenly someone dropped a rock on their car and broke their windshield, and then they looked up and saw a whole bunch of albinos surrounding them and armed with rocks and branches in the trees. It was odd that I found that because of the story my coworker told of them living in the trees. I plan to visit this place soon and will check out the foot bridge as well as the camp itself which is supposedly when you go right at the fork. Supposedly its a PUBLIC road where they have hung signs saying private property and several stories detail them wielding shotguns if your drive down this road which dead ends to a gate at the end.

There is too many other stories and variations to cover but I would suggest reading this thread about this place and some of the mentioned places I have discussed here. Supposedly the coordinates for this camp are 37°09′40.22″N 121°50′30.29″W

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57739&st=0

BUSTED (but still PLAUSIBLE)

I drove all along hicks road, and at the end, I made a right onto Alamitos road. The beginning of this road is pretty residential. Towards the end, you do seem some smaller run down cabins but still fairly modern (with average cars parked outside as well). Eventually the paved road ends and it turns to dirt. We traveled down this dirt road for several minutes and even crossed a few small bridges. Towards the end, you come to a fork in the road. One that has a big banner for someone's ranch, and another that goes up about 50 yards to a locked gate. The locked gate is a trail that takes you to a road on the other side of the mountain I believe. We decided not to go up to the ranch and wake the owners up. We did walk down the dirt road for about 15-20 minutes but didn't see anything.

Along the way we did not see any albinos, however there may be a few that live in the cabins, but they are 100% normal people and there is nothing worth investigating about them.

3. Cinnabar Hills Asylum - ???

There really seems to be a lack of information on this place. Posts online say that it is an actual place but that the exact location of it is not known. People seem to imply that this place is also incredibly dangerous, home to drug addicts, and even a possible meth lab. Someone online noted that this asylum is not on a national register so that this place may just be called an insane asylum even though it was something else, or it could have been a private facility. I am also unaware if you must hike to this building or if it is off of a main road. There was one picture I managed to find off of the internet as to its whereabouts.

https://www.tumblr.c...ar hills asylum

BUSTED

After experiencing hicks road and the alleged albino encampment, I have strong suspicion to believe there is no abandoned insane asylum. My first reason is that all over the internet there is only two places where it could be located. The first set of directions is so vague and incorrect that it can not possibly be true. The second location is along a road with multi MILLION dollar houses. Now, do you guys REALLY think that these rich home owners would allow such an eyesore of an abandoned building with a methlab inside? I dont think so. So unless someone can give me explicit directions to the building, or even pictures of it. I am going to call this one BUSTED.

Edited by D1rtyDan
  • Like 1