Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting mineral formation on Mars

william joseph

Interesting, looked like a little alien busting out of the rock, wonder what it really is.

• Like 1

I saw the flat image a day or two ago, and thought the odd look, like something reaching up and over the surface of Mars, was an interesting optical illusion. Have just looked at the three dimensional image made with two cameras. I have to say, it looks exactly like an odd-shaped something, with a dark, tapering base extending upward from the surface, the upper part bent over, reaching out horizontally. This upper part looks like it's made up of three light-colored, rounded segments, in a row. It's hard to reconcile this with a rock formation. If you try to observe this image with red/blue 3d glasses, just remember to have the red lens over the left eye, blue over the right. 3d glasses, intended for movie viewing have the lenses reversed.

Edited by bison

Yep, well its only the size of a grain of sand, and curiosity is still being commissioned, so they will definately not be looking at this any further.

Would it be possible for the planet to create it's own form of glass or crystals, that's what it looks like to me with the light shining through it. Similar to a Smokey Quartz from what I could recognise from the largest picture of it possible. But in saying that it could be similar to what crystals we have here but with a different chemical composition allowing it to raise up out of the dirt and "grow" technically speaking.

I don't know I could be way off, that was purely brainstorming not trying to say I found some great article on what it actually is. Does anyone have an opinion on that subject whether I could or couldn't happen? This is rather interesting to say the least, exotic gems from another planet :o or translucent dirt flower :P

• Like 2

Universe Today is a respectable science news website, so this isn't some sensationalized story. The object *is* small, apparently about about 5 mm (3/16 inch) tall. This is still considerably bigger than a grain of sand. NASA was interested enough in the object to take a second picture, with a differently positioned camera. They also went to the trouble to process the images, so that they could view the enigmatic object in anaglyphic 3d. The writer at Universe Today intends to seek more information about this object from a NASA scientist in a position to comment informatively, so it doesn't look like this story will go away, at least not immediately.

Kinda looks like a metal ore.

• Like 1

looks like something that melted or a mineral deposit that bubbled up or grew.

They should have fired lasers at it!!

pew! research.

Edited by ad hoc

The word 'metallic' has been cropping up in descriptions of this thing. The color pictures *do* seem to show almost mirror-like shiny surfaces at the top of the object. These include color anomalies usually seen when sunlight is reflected very efficiently from such surfaces.

They should have fired lasers at it!!

I would hope they don't go shooting at everything unusual they see on Mars.

I hope they examine this object closely I think this may become a very important piece of evidence in the future exploration of Mars.

• Like 1

I hope they examine this object closely I think this may become a very important piece of evidence in the future exploration of Mars.

Yeah, that's a nice find worthy of detailed examination(in my opinion as well)

It looks like it is a piece of metal that fell off either this Rover or some other thing that is man-made.

It's either off the Rover, however there is no sign the Rover has been near or over there. Some natural ore of some kind (it might be common on Mars we have seen so little of the planet). Isn't the Rover in a meteor crater so could it be something that was produced or left from the impact?

Other than that it could be the smoking gun for alien life that was intelligent on Mars at some point.

For the love of GOD its a weather balloon you fools!!!!

Yes, It's definitely an alien weather balloon, good thinking. No doubt martian crackpots will have mistaken it for a UFO, just like that nonsense about a thing with wheels and a laser that landed and drove off somewhere last year. :P

We bring you the martian weather report for the rest of this week: dry, and hostile to life.

NASA my favorite king of the liars i'm.don't expect a clear honest answer people.NASA ONLY TELLS THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!AND ITS NOT THE TRUTH AND PURE HONEST TRUTH AND NASA IS NOT A CIVILIAN INDUSTRY OR ORGANIZATION NEVER WAS.ONE QUESTION THOUGH WHY DOES NASA HONESTLY AND TRUTHFULLY SEND ONLY ROBOTS AND MACHINES AND NOT REAL PEOPLE???ASK THEM THAT PEOPLE AND ASK YOURSELFS THAT AS WELL.DON'T BE FOOLED

• Like 1

NASA my favorite king of the liars i'm.don't expect a clear honest answer people.NASA ONLY TELLS THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!AND ITS NOT THE TRUTH AND PURE HONEST TRUTH AND NASA IS NOT A CIVILIAN INDUSTRY OR ORGANIZATION NEVER WAS.ONE QUESTION THOUGH WHY DOES NASA HONESTLY AND TRUTHFULLY SEND ONLY ROBOTS AND MACHINES AND NOT REAL PEOPLE???ASK THEM THAT PEOPLE AND ASK YOURSELFS THAT AS WELL.DON'T BE FOOLED

Well on balance, if I had to choose between their reasoned explanations and your vague, ominous, all-caps rambling...

Edited by ad hoc
  • Like 7

at ad hoc i could explain myself and put more details but i do that in other websites or in my blogs on my profile and there more like warnings and messages but i will put as much detail though and facts sound good.thanks for the feedback also what i am saying is do your research,form your own opinions and facts and etc and most importantly think for yourself dont take anything at face value best advice i could give you and tips.hope thats helps

Edited by King Cobra 1408

Please do go on King Cobra ~! We cant wait to hear all the C.T`s Ideas on how the Mars and NASA are really All in our Imaginations ! :tu:

Waspie I wonder what your best guess is on the image? At your convienance

Edited by DONTEATUS
  • Like 1