Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Living for ever good or bad?


  • Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostHDesiato, on 20 January 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Memory is a funny thing, the way one can color things to accommodate the ego. Imagine how distorted events would become when filtered through the years of our life's recollections.

Yeah

You'd ever end up thinking you were some kind of God or descend into insanity lol


#62    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined:27 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:lost in space without a paddle. ( or any PU-238)

  • let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

immortality, ? Under what rules?   As a diabetic with a bunch of other problems as well  if i live long enough i would / will loose my legs, my arms my sight my hearing.  granted eventually at some point in the futuredue to medical advances  these will not be a problem,  but i have no desire to live like that for  a century or two before medical  sciences catch up with my medical requirements much less a year.  Without a constant adventure new worlds to explore and  continious new things to experience Life would become boring very quickly,
and as my life presently stands .......
  NO i would not want to  live forever
  edited to add
and i cannot even imagine having to work for a living for two or three hundred thousand years for the same idiot ( be that idiot myself or anyone else who fits the word's meaning.)

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 20 January 2013 - 08:16 PM.


#63    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,394 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 January 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I understand it, but can`t see it ever working, peoples cultures, morals, religions, fashion, political opinion, all make up part of their views.
People want their views to be heard, but we live in a world were not everyone will agree with them....there is a difference between forcing ones views on others and expressing ones views to others....... the difference is, it is only seen as being forced when someone disagrees and completely objects when trying to be convinced by those "expressing" their view.

You are quite correct that there is a difference between expressing ones views and imposing them on others. However the difference is not born out if someone disagrees with said opinion.. For instance, this discussion is not an argument, nor am I imposing my point of view. If an individual's point of view is so self rightious that he or she feels they must force it upon others then we cross the broundary between expression & force.. Having a goldren rule of "Do not force your view on others" does however hinder freedom of expression, because it would make one think very carefully before expressing their points of view to ensure what is said is expression & not force..

Anyhow, have gone slightly off topic.. & I'm not sure if I've explained this correctly.. It's the kind of weirdness one can better understand if one is vacumming in a world where one will live for 30,000 years.. lol.. Another piece of the weidness I guess, is that even thoughts seem to slow down and take their time..


#64    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 20 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

immortality, ? Under what rules?   As a diabetic with a bunch of other problems as well  if i live long enough i would / will loose my legs, my arms my sight my hearing.  granted eventually at some point in the futuredue to medical advances  these will not be a problem,  but i have no desire to live like that for  a century or two before medical  sciences catch up with my medical requirements much less a year.  Without a constant adventure new worlds to explore and  continious new things to experience Life would become boring very quickly,
and as my life presently stands .......
  NO i would not want to  live forever
  edited to add
and i cannot even imagine having to work for a living for two or three hundred thousand years for the same idiot ( be that idiot myself or anyone else who fits the word's meaning.)

You do realise they've found a cure for diabetes.

Calroie restriction - http://blog.livingth...-–-confirmed/ - for a few weeks!


#65    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,448 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 20 January 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

You are quite correct that there is a difference between expressing ones views and imposing them on others. However the difference is not born out if someone disagrees with said opinion.. For instance, this discussion is not an argument, nor am I imposing my point of view. If an individual's point of view is so self rightious that he or she feels they must force it upon others then we cross the broundary between expression & force.. Having a goldren rule of "Do not force your view on others" does however hinder freedom of expression, because it would make one think very carefully before expressing their points of view to ensure what is said is expression & not force..

Anyhow, have gone slightly off topic.. & I'm not sure if I've explained this correctly.. It's the kind of weirdness one can better understand if one is vacumming in a world where one will live for 30,000 years.. lol.. Another piece of the weidness I guess, is that even thoughts seem to slow down and take their time..
if you do get to live for 30,000 years, can I recommend you get yourself a robot to do the vacumming for you, someone should have made one by then if there isn`t one already.. lol

Edited by freetoroam, 20 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#66    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 January 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

if you do get to live for 30,000 years, can I recommend you get yourself a robot to do the vacumming for you, someone should have made one by then if there isn`t one already.. lol

I already have a wife for that hahaha.

Historical records indicate this king reigned for 43,200 years - http://en.wikipedia....i/En-men-lu-ana

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 20 January 2013 - 10:48 PM.


#67    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined:27 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:lost in space without a paddle. ( or any PU-238)

  • let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

With Diabetes control and cure are two different things, according to my present information there is no cure. I have bookmarked the site for further study and thank you for the info,  but  my Diabetic wieght gain didn't start until after i was diagnosed diabetic, not only am i resistant to insulin absorbsion but my pancrease has stopped making insulin, leaving only the tiny amout the liver produces,  when i have the insulin i take 4 shots a day two different types of insulin twice a day at 50 units each shot.  ( unless your medical personel or have  some contact with  diabetics you may not understand the term units, believe me when i say it is a LOT ) and that is when i am controlling what i eat.
    and as i mentioned i would not want to live like that forever.


#68    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 21 January 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

With Diabetes control and cure are two different things, according to my present information there is no cure. I have bookmarked the site for further study and thank you for the info,  but  my Diabetic wieght gain didn't start until after i was diagnosed diabetic, not only am i resistant to insulin absorbsion but my pancrease has stopped making insulin, leaving only the tiny amout the liver produces,  when i have the insulin i take 4 shots a day two different types of insulin twice a day at 50 units each shot.  ( unless your medical personel or have  some contact with  diabetics you may not understand the term units, believe me when i say it is a LOT ) and that is when i am controlling what i eat.
and as i mentioned i would not want to live like that forever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-13887909

Ask your doctor about it to see if it might work for you


#69    Trakkia

Trakkia

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined:21 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • "There are two steps to a journey, setting off and getting there; so just take a step and you're halfway there."
    -Me

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Well, personally I'd take the opportunity. There's always a way to die and only one chance to live. This is assuming the idea of never ageing, being constantly reborn doesn't sound quite as good.
But this is strictly speaking it was a one on one thing, not something available to everyone, quite frankly that would lead to many of the so far mentioned disasters and annual genocides planned and scheduled by governments turned dictatorships to keep population from instantly getting to the point where we live in apartments two meters square to make sure everyone has enough room. Not that it wont get to that.

Anyways, as for the cliche 'It'll get boring' and 'living forever is a curse' stuff; people will always invent a new console or video game to entertain you, heck, we're still waiting on the smellevision. You'll have plenty of time to go through phazes, try new trends and make your own, perfect skills and whatever. However, the one thing you'll never achieve is this 'perfect master of everything' people seem to think will happen, aside from new things coming around all the time you'll forget the last one as soon as you finish the next. That aside, if you wait long enough you'll forget what happened before and can relive what you already did and still find it fun. I wouldn't mind waiting to see what evolution turns out; maybe a second age of dinosaurs? There are plenty of things to unearth, by the time you've gone through a small fraction of them they'll have changed.

So I'd take the offer if some stranger or whatever gave it to me specifically, or some small and sparse group of individuals. Though I'm not sure I'd like waiting around for my name to be drawn for a genocide lottery.

"A picture is worth a thousand words, or so they say, so if it is; then here are a thousand and thirty two words to convince you of whatever I need to,"
Now, if you will, imagine a subject appropriate image here...

#70    harrygrant

harrygrant

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2013

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

I think it's bad, who would want to see their love ones passed by and be left alone. :no:


#71    coolguy

coolguy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:east islip , new york

  • Star trek rules

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

Why would any body wanna live for ever.death is a wonderful journey i know iam looking forward to death ...i know that sounds wried lol


#72    Render

Render

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 January 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Hollywood? so all the wars of the past and of today are actually just a creation of Quentin Tarantino?

What was it that i said about thinking in terms of the future and not the past?

In your logic ppl in the beginning of the middle ages must've flipped out when they said we were gonna live to be a hundred...they would've had your logic. But humanity is doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things, quality of life is only improving. Try and think outside the box and not inside hollywood - there will only be choas and destruction - terms.


#73    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,448 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 20 January 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

I already have a wife for that hahaha.

Historical records indicate this king reigned for 43,200 years - http://en.wikipedia....i/En-men-lu-ana
thats an awful lot of years!!

looking back it seems that Moses lived for 900 years, it seems many from the Bible lived for a few hundred years. maybe their years were a lot shorter than ours at the time, because as time goes on, those in the bible start living shorter and shorter lives.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#74    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,448 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostRender, on 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

What was it that i said about thinking in terms of the future and not the past?

In your logic ppl in the beginning of the middle ages must've flipped out when they said we were gonna live to be a hundred...they would've had your logic. But humanity is doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things, quality of life is only improving. Try and think outside the box and not inside hollywood - there will only be choas and destruction - terms.
You mentioned Hollywood.   What I was saying was all the wars around the world are not a creation of Hollywood directed by Quentin, the wars of the past and today are real.
In my Logic ppl in the etc etc??? where are you getting all that bit from?
Yes quality of life is getting better...no doubt about that, but the wars around the world are not!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#75    Render

Render

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

You mentioned Hollywood.   What I was saying was all the wars around the world are not a creation of Hollywood directed by Quentin, the wars of the past and today are real.
In my Logic ppl in the etc etc??? where are you getting all that bit from?
Yes quality of life is getting better...no doubt about that, but the wars around the world are not!

You seem to not know a lot about history.
There were far more wars in history, through the ages more cooperations came to existence, look at Europe for example. More unities are being formed..try and use that in your -warfare forever- logic. We're slowly moving away from those things.
Agreed there is still a lot of warfare, but not to the same degree as before, surely you must understand is.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users