Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oh Spirit of America, wherefore art thou?

Philangeli

When I was growing up in England in the early 60's, it was a great event in our house when one of my elder brothers or sisters brought home a 45 rpm record by someone like Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis or Hank Williams. When I first heard Bob Dylan around 1962 I got a guitar and learnt to finger pick like him. Then, later in the 60's, there was the peace movement and the spirit of Woodstock – Hendrix, Santana, Richie Havens, Buffy St Marie, etc. Where has all that spirit gone? All we seem to get nowadays is Pop Idol and one hit wonders. Can anyone recommend me any new music in the true American tradition – following the lineage of the likes of Woody Guthrie, Dylan, Buffy St Marie, Joni Mitchell, etc.? I recently heard some stuff by Steve Earle, and thought it was brilliant, especially, 'The Galway Girl', which has a strong Irish influence. Where has that spirit gone – the songs about the hobos on the railroads, the miners, etc? I miss it so much. I really believe music unites people across countries, boundaries, race and religion. If it doesn't happen in America, where is it going to happen?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Philangeli

• joc

• GoddessWhispers

• dlv

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

America went through a unique time during the viet nam war era. I was a young boy at the time, but the older folks all seem to say that there was a feeling of darkness then. Our troops were dying everyday and it was the first war that really got televised so it was right in every home with a TV. That temperature is what I believe sparked the "hippie" generation and produced some great music too. Music with meaning. Perhaps we are in those times again. Today our culture musically is a bit over the edge sexually. It seems that way. I was watching the Country music channell and the gal singing was every bit as talented as a stripper at the "bada-bing" club. I think we need to find our soul again. I think being a bit of a rebel is good for us, but what is happening today feels like it is all a sell out.

music must progress, although i agree with both of you on your musical opnions, there are some great bands out there giving us great music but the teenybobbers in short skirts seel more so get more tv time, leaving the real bands out there to be found, more so than ramed down your throat.

I think being a bit of a rebel is good for us, but what is happening today feels like it is all a sell out.

God bless you for saying that! Americans are strong - you left the Old World when you you were being persecuted and starving. You survived the journey across the Atlantic - many died along the way. I could not have done that. I would have been too weak. You survived the journeys across a totally alien territory. Where are the songs now? You youngsters, why don't you learn about your roots? You have a lot to be proud of. Your forefathers gave their lives for you!! Why don't you wake up and stop playing computer games! Why don't you sing about your heritage? We are counting on you, back here in the Old World! Why don't you sing songs about your history - the struggles, the loneliness, poverty and discrimination? If you are already , please let us know who you are!!

When I was growing up in England in the early 60's, it was a great event in our house when one of my elder brothers or sisters brought home a 45 rpm record by someone like Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis or Hank Williams. When I first heard Bob Dylan around 1962 I got a guitar and learnt to finger pick like him. Then, later in the 60's, there was the peace movement and the spirit of Woodstock – Hendrix, Santana, Richie Havens, Buffy St Marie, etc. Where has all that spirit gone? All we seem to get nowadays is Pop Idol and one hit wonders. Can anyone recommend me any new music in the true American tradition – following the lineage of the likes of Woody Guthrie, Dylan, Buffy St Marie, Joni Mitchell, etc.? I recently heard some stuff by Steve Earle, and thought it was brilliant, especially, 'The Galway Girl', which has a strong Irish influence. Where has that spirit gone – the songs about the hobos on the railroads, the miners, etc? I miss it so much. I really believe music unites people across countries, boundaries, race and religion. If it doesn't happen in America, where is it going to happen?

come and see a good old kitchan party up here in cape breton and you will see that harmonie and spirit through the music that we play.

come and see a good old kitchan party up here in cape breton and you will see that harmonie and spirit through the music that we play.

Brilliant!! I've got a guitar and a 5 string banjo. The accordion is a bit a too bit to heavy to carry across the Atlantic!!

(Please br warned - my singing is absolutle rubbish!!) ...but I know lots of Irish songs!!

God Bless!

Brilliant!! I've got a guitar and a 5 string banjo. The accordion is a bit a too bit to heavy to carry across the Atlantic!!

(Please br warned - my singing is absolutle rubbish!!) ...but I know lots of Irish songs!!

God Bless!

I have a Bodhr'an and I play in drumming circles, though my playing is like your singing. lol

We are still here, last Earth Day 200 drummers showed up at the state park, drumming for peace and Mother Earth. People have been protesting the war, but you don't see it on the news. On Naples beach in Florida people put up crosses for soldiers who have died in Iraq as a protest of the war. It is becoming more difficult to protest the actions of our government. Things are not what they used to be. I think if they started a draft things would be different, but if it doesn't affect you directly then people just ignore the problems. Most of the hippies turned into yuppies, who only care about whether or not they can retire early. There are still some of us who beat our drums for peace and hope.

But they don't write them like this anymore.

What's Going On

Mother, mother, there's too many of you crying

Brother, brother, brother, there's far too many of you dying

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today, hey

Father, father, we don't need to escalate

You see, war is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today, oh

Picket lines - sister - and picket signs - sister

Don't punish me - sister - with brutality - sister

Talk to me - sister - so you can see - sister

Oh, what's goin' on - what's goin' on, what's goin' on - what's goin' on

Heah, what's goin' on - what's goin' on, oh, what's goin' on - what's goin' on

Ah ah - ay-ay-ay-ay-ay - right on - right on - ay-ay-ay-ay-ay

Mother, mother, everybody thinks we're wrong

Oh, but who are they to judge us

Simply 'cause our hair is long

Oh, you know we've got to find a way

To bring some understanding here today, oh oh oh

Picket lines - brother - and picket signs - brother

Don't punish me - brother - with brutality - brother

Come on, talk to me - brother - so you can see - brother

Now what's goin' on - what's goin' on, yeah, what's goin' on - what's goin' on

Tell me what's goin' on - what's goin' on,

I'll tell you now what's goin' on - what's goin' on

Ooooh - right on - right on - ay-ay-ay-ay-ay

(M. Gaye/A. Cleveland/R. Benson) 1971

http://codehot.co.uk/lyrics/mnop/marvingaye/whatsgoingon.htm

Oh Spirit of America, wherefore art thou?, Where have all the flowers gone?
They were declared unfit for human consumption by the FDA. Subsequently special interest lobbyists for the chemical industry procured every flower in the United States and synthesized the chemical proteins. After which were created cloned flowers, patent pending. These flowers were distributed into the common market, and manufacturing was outsourced to countries like India and China. A mass investment of marketing capital ensued, in which it was declared there was only one brand of right and true flowers to be had in America, if one was truly a patriotic American. This evoked a gigantic consumer response that catapulted the supply side of the economic profile, so that the demand kept the price relatively affordable for everyone, if only they were fond of genetically modified flowers. Soon venture capital invested in a green program that insinuated the flowers into every lawn within the 3 branches of power. Becoming almost a national landmark, the flowers were declared federally protected and as such for anyone to obtain flowers henceforth they would have to obtain a permit and subject themselves and their properties, wherein the flowers were planted, to inspection. So as to insure the permit holder was in compliance with the rules and regulations of flower gardening.

Eventually the gardening became so wide spread and flourished in such abundance that the borders of this country could not contain it all. What with Bee's dying the pollination factor was at an all time low in a natural course of events, so that seeding and populating cloned patent pending flowers, became a matter of foreign aid budget packages. Ensuring other countries could procure these flowers, at a price, given tariffs, excise tax,etc... and thereby proliferate the gardens throughout the world. Eventually, because the patent pending was exclusive, these flowers became the only one's able to be dispersed to such a broad and dynamic market. And finally, with flowers from the U.S. blooming in most every country in the world, the American way of gardening reigned supreme, because blooming capitalism and marketing western garden culture, are the future. linked-imagelinked-image

:rolleyes::lol:

In answer to the original question...go to KZPS.com. For EVER they were a 'classic rock' station...but for some reason they changed their entire format...they play alot of the stuff you would like. Check 'em out. I think everyone just became so weary of hearing AC/DC and Van Halen over and over again....you will really enjoy their music...I promise!

They play alot of Steve Earle's stuff. Right now Seven Bridges Road by the Eagles is playing.

Edited by joc

It's an analogy. Vewy, vewy deeeeep stuff. linked-image

:lol:

It's an analogy. Vewy, vewy deeeeep stuff. linked-image

:lol:

:yes:;)

kzps.com

Where has all that spirit gone? A

It just went "underground." By the time you see it on t.v., or hear it on the radio, the scene is watered down. There is always something cool, but I agree, there is nothing fresh at the moment. Electroklash is too generic, copycat, and absolutely no substance (and that's been done too many times). Basically, the music world needs new technology to move forward. Everyone is using the same tired instruments, machines, etc. And the same tired vapid attitude.

"I'm all dressed up and nowhere to go" -- Visage

Edited by dlv

Good lyrics are rare these days, and I think that says a lot about today's culture. The best lyrics I've heard in recent years is by Epik High. The only problem for you lot is that they're Korean :P . You can still go to their site, www.epikhigh.com for some of their music though.

I blame it on the 80s. John Lennon and Bob Marley died, Bob Dylan became a born again christian and the only good music came from Metallica and Iron Maiden, but it wasn't the same. I think there might have been a decline in drug use, at least LSD and Cannibis which in turn created less interesting lyrics. Every time I hear of a new 'post-hardcore pop punk' band made up of vegans, it hurts a bit because if they added some psychadelic drugs they might come out with a masterpiece. Thats not to say there aren't good musicians coming out nowadays. I say pick up the few good things that come out and explore the older stuff more.