Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wear radio chip or leave, school students

students must wear radio chip

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Superintendent issues warning: 'There will be consequences' for not submitting
At the beginning of the school year students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School within the Northside Independent School District were told their old student ID badges were no longer valid. During registration they were required to obtain new badges containing a radio frequency identification tracker chip.

Students refusing the chips were reportedly threatened with suspension, fines, or being involuntary transferred. Unlike chips used by retailers to track inventory which activate when scanned by a reader, these chips contain batteries and actively broadcast a continuous signal.
Read more

#2    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,579 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

This will be an issue up until a couple years after the students are forced to have it... Then, it will become accepted just like security cameras are accepted.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Is that not a breach of Human Rights,why should anyone be able to track you,unless you're a criminal.Tell them to stuff it.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,858 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostKarlis, on 07 October 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Superintendent issues warning: 'There will be consequences' for not submitting
At the beginning of the school year students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School within the Northside Independent School District were told their old student ID badges were no longer valid. During registration they were required to obtain new badges containing a radio frequency identification tracker chip.

Students refusing the chips were reportedly threatened with suspension, fines, or being involuntary transferred. Unlike chips used by retailers to track inventory which activate when scanned by a reader, these chips contain batteries and actively broadcast a continuous signal.
Read more
This kind of technology will become ubiquitous in time.  Not enough people will complain or refuse.  It's a loss for liberty.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#5    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Oh it's only in the badge, I thought they were chipping students by the headline...swoo

'There will be consequences' for not submitting....meh, heard it all my life

What could possibly go wrong?

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,579 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Not that I'm advocating it, but what'd the difference between this and having complete surveillance through video cameras? Other than the fact that this is more efficient.

----Seraphina

#7    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,570 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Power corrupts here it seems.  There are always those who feel they should have information and control of the movements of others "for the greater good".  These types seem to feel a sense of entitlement to pry into the lives of those under their "control".  The school's reasons are ridiculous, an old fashioned role call will tell anyone anywhere how many attend the school.  Not to mention student records and grades fgs.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,858 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostStellar, on 07 October 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Not that I'm advocating it, but what'd the difference between this and having complete surveillance through video cameras? Other than the fact that this is more efficient.
I think that's the point, though.  Cams can only track locations and that, imperfectly.  These "GPS" like devices can create data to be stored and analyzed about individual habits and movements and so on...it's like making Guinea Pigs out of students.  My biggest reason not to like it though, is the slippery slope aspect.  In 5 years will it be a quick "ouch" when they insist that an RFID chip be placed under the skin?  The logic then would be - well you already have been tracked like this for years, what's the problem?  See the point?

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#9    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,570 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

View PostStellar, on 07 October 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Cameras are really only useful to document problems - they are rarely useful for tracking individuals as they go about their law abiding business - unless someone with access is a stalker with alot of time on their hands.  The ID cards can provide minute details of every individual by name every day.  How long before the data starts to be used for more nefarious levels of control? and students find themselves asked why they spent 15 minutes in the yard talking to so and so etc?  How long before substantive but definitively circumstantial evidences start playing a role in students marks? aka: being "known associates of (place "undesirables" name here)" - even while the student themselves have done nothing wrong?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

#10    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Ha ha , I would get one then chuck it onto  a long distance lorry,and then say that my Uncle brought me to school in his rig,and it must of dropped off my jacket.So they give you another, well put it on the New York subway...going round and round.

#11    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,579 posts

-Patton

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

True, but all that, if they wanted to, could also be done with cameras and people to observe and document them, could it not?

----Seraphina

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

I guess we can look at the bright side, they aren't putting it under their skin.  That will be next.

#13    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

View Postand then, on 07 October 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

~~~ ...

... My biggest reason not to like it though, is the slippery slope aspect.  In 5 years will it be a quick "ouch" when they insist that an RFID chip be placed under the skin?  The logic then would be - well you already have been tracked like this for years, what's the problem?  See the point?
If "wearing" a GPS chip is to be compulsory, why not an implant, injected just under the skin?

An example of a benefit would be, for example; a kidnapped child or adult location would be instantly available. Crime in general should diminish, if a suspect knew that they would be located immediately.

"Assuming" that the technology was not misused, would not the benefits outweigh the negatives?

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostKarlis, on 07 October 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

If "wearing" a GPS chip is to be compulsory, why not an implant, injected just under the skin?

An example of a benefit would be, for example; a kidnapped child or adult location would be instantly available. Crime in general should diminish, if a suspect knew that they would be located immediately.

"Assuming" that the technology was not misused, would not the benefits outweigh the negatives?
  Big brother is not only watching you, he's under your skin, No Way .I  wouldnt refuse but they would get sick of me misplacing it, like sticking it on the underside of a Police Car,then you're in Police custody.The next one in the girl friends handbag, for an overnight stay,the next one tied to a log floating down the river, and so on.

#15    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,570 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostKarlis, on 07 October 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

In a perfect world where strangers with power could be trusted with personal information yes, the benefits outweight the negatives.

Very few lack the imagination to see how this could be abused by levels of power that are intrinsically susceptible to corruption and special interest groups, we just are not evolved enough to justify "rose tinted glass" views on the technology imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users