Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Internet Explorers 8, 9 &10 die next week

Merc14

If you are using Internet Explorers 8, 9 or 10 then you need to move to Firefox, Chrome or update to IE11 as MS will no longer patch as of next Tuesday the 20th. This means any new flaws will not be fixed and you will become progressively more open to attacks.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

I converted to fire-fox years ago....never looked back on IE :tu:

• Like 4

I'm using Chrome - but thanks for the heads up.

switched to chrome after i switched to firefox from ie, firefox is the biggest piece of trash browser i have ever used in my life.

• Like 1

^ LOL, well I'm using Firefox and have been for a long time after dropping IE. I have all my preferences dialed in and I like it a lot.

I've tried Chrome too, I don't care for it.

• Like 4

I always pull the cable out and put duct tape over the phone socket when im not online, thats my security!

• Like 2

^ LOL, well I'm using Firefox and have been for a long time after dropping IE. I have all my preferences dialed in and I like it a lot.

you can transfer settings from chrome to firefox im pretty sure. my problem with firefox is the absolutely awful flash set up which causes hang ups and freezes, ungodly horrible memory leaks where firefox is running up to 2 gigs and up of memory constantly which of course cause massive slow downs. updates every week or every other week that do.... "something" among a bunch of other things really turned me off firefox.

• Like 2

Will my bookmarks disappear next week? Even though I'm using CG nowadays I still use IE for some things. :c

Yeah - I think it boils down to personal preference.

I hated IE - then changed to FF - which I just didn't take to....if memory serves right - it ended up being really slow and seized up a lot.

I find using Chrome more reliable and user friendly.

• Like 1

I always pull the cable out and put duct tape over the phone socket when im not online, thats my security!

:w00t:

• Like 1

you can transfer settings from chrome to firefox im pretty sure. my problem with firefox is the absolutely awful flash set up which causes hang ups and freezes, ungodly horrible memory leaks where firefox is running up to 2 gigs and up of memory constantly which of course cause massive slow downs. updates every week or every other week that do.... "something" among a bunch of other things really turned me off firefox.

Yeah - I think it boils down to personal preference.

I hated IE - then changed to FF - which I just didn't take to....if memory serves right - it ended up being really slow and seized up a lot.

I find using Chrome more reliable and user friendly.

I know what you mean about freezes. On my old PC running Vista (:rolleyes:) it happened a lot and I got to the point I wanted to throw it out the window, especially while streaming a movie!

But since I got my new lap top and upgrading to Win 10, I think it has seized maybe twice in the last year, (never during a movie)

• Like 4

For anyone using Chrome, I like to go in to Advanced settings and uncheck "continue running apps in background". Chrome keeps all your tabs and browser windows open even after you close. Check Task Manager to see how many Chrome processes are running. On most computers it's not an issue, (power wise,) but I like to run a tight ship :)

• Like 3

I know what you mean about freezes. On my old PC running Vista ( :rolleyes:) it happened a lot and I got to the point I wanted to throw it out the window, especially while streaming a movie!

But since I got my new lap top and upgrading to Win 10, I think it has seized maybe twice in the last year, (never during a movie)

gag.gif

• Like 2

I know what you mean about freezes. On my old PC running Vista ( :rolleyes:) it happened a lot and I got to the point I wanted to throw it out the window, especially while streaming a movie!

Yep - there is nothing more frustrating when PC's play up - many a time I was tempted to throw mine into the pool.

I was hesitant at first about up-grading to Win 10 - but I don't mind it at all - and glad that I did.

Anyway - it's good that it's all worked out for you - especially since your movie streaming doesn't freeze anymore - gosh...how frustrating that must have been :rolleyes:

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

Will my bookmarks disappear next week? Even though I'm using CG nowadays I still use IE for some things. :c

No, nothing will change, the browser will just not receive any further security updates

• Like 2

In FireFox I just set Flash to "Ask to Activate" after my browser would freeze at times. Happened with IceDragon and SeaMonkey too.

Sadly some of the sites I go to still use flash but for most it asks to activate flash.

To be honest I am not even sure how to use IE since the last time I used it was nearly ten years ago. :)

Just so everyone knows, I am not endorsing any browser, just wanted to let folks know that support ends for those older versions of IE and there are some security concerns. Vista support ends next year if you are still using that OS.

You should be running Internet Explorer 11 if you are on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 and keep your system up-to-date. So no problem.

• Like 1

I use Firefox under XP and Firefox under Suse Enterprise leap. Can't complain. Now, I mostly use XP to play and Suse to work. And I never used Explorer, always too cumbersome, slow and bug prone (though Mozilla is catching up on the bad stuff both with Firefox and Thunderbird).

Edited by questionmark

Sorry to state the obvious but does anyone actually use IE any more?

That is sort of like saying "I am very sorry sir but I have to inform you the warranty on your model T Ford has expired" lol :su

Useful bit of info for anyone who does use it though! :tu:

• Like 1

Sorry to state the obvious but does anyone actually use IE any more?

That is sort of like saying "I am very sorry sir but I have to inform you the warranty on your model T Ford has expired" lol :su

Useful bit of info for anyone who does use it though! :tu:

You'd be surprised how many never change browsers and then you have businesses which require you to be on IE. I work with people that don't know what a browser is! They know that this e is the internet and that they can't use the internet because it has so many pop-ups (adware). Try and explain I to them and sow them Firefox and their eyes glaze over. I know people still paying AOL for fear that they may lose their old emails if they stop!

No, nothing will change, the browser will just not receive any further security updates

Ah okay. That's good. ^^ Thank you, Merc14.

EEHC: Ok. I do get it updated when it needs to be. The computer lets me know when I need update.

Edited by Princess Serenity

You'd be surprised how many never change browsers and then you have businesses which require you to be on IE. I work with people that don't know what a browser is! They know that this e is the internet and that they can't use the internet because it has so many pop-ups (adware). Try and explain I to them and sow them Firefox and their eyes glaze over. I know people still paying AOL for fear that they may lose their old emails if they stop!

This is true, in our office our Director only uses IE actually lol, amazingly he thinks it is because the "little yellow paddlock" as he calls it wont work on other browsers, and his details are not safe, despite repeated attempts to assure him other browsers have security features too :yes:

Firefox + Adblock Plus and NoScript has been doing a fine job for many years now :tu:

• Like 1