Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Too much resistance against Monsanto in Europ

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Monsanto doesn't plan to apply for the approval of new genetically modified seeds in Europe due to low demand from farmers and stiff opposition from the general public, the U.S. agricultural company's German spokeswoman said Sunday.
"As long as there's not enough demand from farmers for these products and the public at large doesn't accept the technology, it makes no sense to fight against windmills," Ursula Luettmer-Ouazane said Sunday, confirming a report in Berlin-based German daily TAZ newspaper.
Ms. Luettmer-Ouazane said, however, this is nothing new, as Monsanto hasn't applied for growing modified plant varieties in Europe for the past two or three years.
"It's obvious that Europe needs more time, while other regions have embraced our concepts more readily", she said.

http://www.marketwat...rope-2013-06-03

#2    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Fantastic.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#3    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,051 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

:clap: :tu: :clap:

#4    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

:tu: WAY TO GO!

Proof that no voice is too small! This is a huge wake-up call for Monsanto!

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#5    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,097 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Good thing there wasn't internet with all scare mongering back few ages ago, cause potatoes/tomatoes/eggplants/etc would have been banned in Europe (sceawy, vewy sceawy solanine plus potato tubers "causing leprosy"), and all ungodly plant breeding fields would have been demolished by mob of "concerned" about long term impacts on both sides of Atlantic..

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#6    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 04 June 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Good thing there wasn't internet with all scare mongering back few ages ago, cause potatoes/tomatoes/eggplants/etc would have been banned in Europe (sceawy, vewy sceawy solanine plus potato tubers "causing leprosy"), and all ungodly plant breeding fields would have been demolished by mob of "concerned" about long term impacts on both sides of Atlantic..
There you go again confusing selective breeding with genetic engineering, will you never learn the difference ?

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#7    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,097 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 June 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

There you go again confusing selective breeding with genetic engineering, will you never learn the difference ?

Br Cornelius
Sorry, to disappoint you, but I know difference.
Thing is, selective breeding was seen by some individuals as ungodly and evil act. Nowadays, such individuals would be (and actually are on various subjects) very, very vocal about "dangers" it poses, based solely on fiction, lies, misinterpretations, cherry-picking, etc (e.g. nowadays anti-vaccination furor, "genetically modified vitamin C", "small amount of GMO will make you sick" etc, etc, Heh, I wonder, if I extract water from GMO, will it be "genetically modified H2O"?).

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#8    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I'm not opposed to the idea of GM crops, like any technology I think it has potentially good and bad applications. However Monsanto has shown it cares not for the good applications of the technology, and it concerned primarily with profit. It could be a non-issue, or it could be catastrophic. In either case the Monsanto stockholders are going to laugh all the way to the bank.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 04 June 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Thing is, selective breeding was seen by some individuals as ungodly and evil act. Nowadays, such individuals would be (and actually are on various subjects) very, very vocal about "dangers" it poses, based solely on fiction, lies, misinterpretations, cherry-picking, etc (e.g. nowadays anti-vaccination furor, "genetically modified vitamin C", "small amount of GMO will make you sick" etc, etc, Heh, I wonder, if I extract water from GMO, will it be "genetically modified H2O"?).

If you know you don't seem to understands why the difference matters fundamentally.

Hardly hysteria, there are well respected geneticist who are sounding the alarm bells for exactly the reasons I have outlined previously;

http://occupymonsant...ngineered-food/

“Genetic engineering is 40 years old. It is based on the naive understanding of the genome based on the One Gene – one protein hypothesis of 70 years ago, that each gene codes for a single protein. The Human Genome project completed in 2002 showed that this hypothesis is wrong.

The whole paradigm of the genetic engineering technology is based on a misunderstanding. Every scientist now learns that any gene can give more than one protein and that inserting a gene anywhere in a plant eventually creates rogue proteins. Some of these proteins are obviously allergenic or toxic.”

Thierry Vrain

Ex advocate for GMO's declares he was very wrong.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 04 June 2013 - 10:45 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

"Europe needs more time" haha. Europe needs no Monsanto. The entire company should be wiped off the face of the planet.

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,775 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Anyone else think that Monsanto will follow SOP and just buy some politicians?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#12    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,041 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

I don't have any problem with GMO tec in itself. I do have a problem with how some GMO seems to be rushed, without proper studies, with a lot of sketchy studies and biased information.. A ton of general public mis-information made easier by the fact that a majority of people now don't have a clue about growing things or where their food comes from.

I have a problem with Monsanto specifically. They have a long history of, erm, not wise products and a habit of pushing products anyway. They have bad practices. Every time someone tells them no, I cheer. Hooray that they are so poorly received that they decide not to try lobbying. I hope every nation on the non-Monsanto bandwagon for crops.. If they also currently purchase wheat from the U.S., stop.

There are other GMO plant companies out there. They have had their fingers rapped too. But Monsanto is the one that time and again is the one that stands out for doing bad and being frowned upon. I'm not thrilled with the other companies, but I rabidly loathe Monsanto.

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,614 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 04 June 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

If yoiu do you go through great lengths to hide it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,614 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

I maybe would be a little more open to GMO plants if they would bring an actual benefit, the reality of the story is that so far we are risking our health, and certainly the health of most soils where GMO is planted, for the benefit of one less task for the farmer (the weeding)... sorry, but that is way too little for running all the risks we run.

Edited by questionmark, 05 June 2013 - 09:15 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Bullying farmers into using their seeds to grow crops that won't produce any useable seeds. The farmer is then forced to go back to get more seeds and thus is caught in the vicious web. If the crops really were producing huge yields of nutritious crops, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. But that's far from the truth...

Why doesn't Monsanto concentrate on "designing" tomatoes loaded with vitamins? Or corn loaded with nutrients? C'mon Monsanto if you're so proud of your products why won't you put your name on it?

That whole company should be labeled one giant human rights violation.

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users