Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's most dangerous religious affiliation

Babe Ruth

What does it matter what anyone says, Babe? The piece is obviously designed to inflame and cause argument. If it is the belief of a person that Islam is no worse than other religions for causing death and mayhem then I think they are seriously deluded. So much so that they refuse to accept the evidence of their senses. To argue that Christianity is the cause of most of the bloodshed in the world and that Islam is mild by comparison is similarly delusional. The author stacks the deck - he even equates religion and nationalism. Bottom line is people have aligned themselves along political seams in this issue - as in most these days. Ignoring Islam is a good way to be engulfed by it.

• Like 5

Maybe it's just religion in general.

Maybe the people that profess to follow a set of dogma's should, I don't know, actually follow the teachings.

• Like 5

I have to disagree that WWI and II had anything to do with religion. It happened because certain atheists wanted to rule the world and the players happened to be religious.

• Like 4

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion, too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace

You, you may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you will join us

And the world will be as one

---- John Lennon

• Like 6

Ridiculous. No further time shall be wasted on this thread.

• Like 3

I don't think the history matters much. The numbers should be from the past 20 years if we want to use the data.

• Like 1

What a load of bilge that story is. I have seen (rather desperate) people try to argue that Hitler was actually a devout Catholic, who went to mass twice a week. This always seemed something of a stretch to me.

I'd suggest to him, think about people such as Stalin, J; Tse-Tung, M; Pot, P. What do they have in common? All (claimed to be) followers of a creed that was atheist by definition, didn't they.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

I have to disagree that WWI and II had anything to do with religion. It happened because certain atheists wanted to rule the world and the players happened to be religious.

I agree - religious people killing others is somewhat different than killing BECAUSE of religion.

I'll have to reread my history books, but I don't recall any of the D-Day invaders storming the beach screaming "Go Jesus!"

• Like 4

And Hitler enjoyed the support of The Vatican

• Like 2

And Hitler enjoyed the support of The Vatican

i knew it before long! Yes, never mind the subtleties of history when we can say "Hitler enjoyed the support of The Vatican", and therefore prove one's point that Christianity is Evil and should be Ruthlessly Suppressed. Would you care to comment on the cases of Stalin, J., Tse-Tung, M., and Pot, P., mentioned above, to name but three? How do they fit into the "Christiantiy is repsonsible for 90% of the evil committed in the 20th cnetury" thesis this gentleman has put forward?

• Like 2

John 13:34-35

New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

• Like 2

Maybe it's just religion in general.

Maybe the people that profess to follow a set of dogma's should, I don't know, actually follow the teachings.

I agree supervike. I call myself Christian and believe that I am heir to the promises Christ made. I am FAR from perfect but I have faith in those tenets I've mentioned before. If being perfect in adherence to the dogma of a religion is required then NO ONE will ever make it. The great difference - and I really believe it is valid to point it out - between Islam and Christianity is that as Christians, those who fall short do so when they kill and hate their enemies while in Islam those two things are perfectly acceptable - even required by their modern teachings. It is possible to be disgusted by the hate of this religion and still have a heart for those who suffer from it, whether they are Christian, Muslim or Atheist.
  • Like 2

In my personal opinion I believe that Religion in general is meant to keep people from seeking peace, and to cause a divide, even though some/most religion's/religious people say otherwise

Every religion in some way or another has killed people, some more so than other's

• Like 1

In my personal opinion I believe that Religion in general is meant to keep people from seeking peace, and to cause a divide, even though some/most religion's/religious people say otherwise

Every religion in some way or another has killed people, some more so than other's

Do you include the pagan societies of old, or only the Religions of the Book? if that is so, has mankind been warlike and divisive because of religion, or does that have anything to do with it at all?

• Like 1

Do you include the pagan societies of old, or only the Religions of the Book? if that is so, has mankind been warlike and divisive because of religion, or does that have anything to do with it at all?

That is what gets me. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same God, albeit it different ways. Subsects of each religion have people that worship in different ways. Is the way we worship really important enough to kill eachother? I guess, judging by the evidence of centuries, the answer is yes.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input folks!

I did not intend to insult anybody, and I don't think Juan Cole intended that either. He merely offered a different perspective, and I think it's valid. I was raised Roman Catholic and served Mass for the last time at age 21. Since that time I've 'lost my religion.' I gave my 2 children a catholic education, but neither of them practice. Most of the rest of my family still practices.

By definition, faith is the opposite of reason, at least as far as dogma and theology and philosophy goes. That's my objection to it, and the silly superstitions it encourages and practices.

Cole presents historical facts, the biggest being that the King or Queen of England is the de facto and de jeure head of the Anglican Church, or at least was during the 2 big wars in the last century. So like it or not, some measure of the impetus for the wars had a religious component.

I had never realized that even the Buddhists have gone to war to punish and kill their version of 'infidel'

Loved the Mel Brooks interpretation! A sense of humor is always good.

The truth is that during the last 40 or 50 years, the only muslim country to invade another was Iraq invading Kuwait, with the urging of the US government.

So of all the deaths in the last century attributed to wars and military aggression, those attributed to muslims is wee tiny.

• Like 3

Loved the Mel Brooks interpretation! A sense of humor is always good.

Your welcome. Considering the topic I thought it was quite funny...

I was born and raised in the Catholic Church, also. I don't go to church anymore, but my faith is served better AWAY from churches and dogma. I believe in God, and Jesus, but I believe that God is love. No matter what you call him, the "Great Spirit" or Allah, it is the same God. And Jesus told us, to love one another. So I try my VERY best, to do that. Even though it is quite hard!

• Like 3

Worlds most dangerous affiliation? I'm not concerned with history. I'm concerned with today and the answer is obvious.

• Like 1

So of all the deaths in the last century attributed to wars and military aggression, those attributed to muslims is wee tiny.

That's something of a smoke screen. We're in a new century now, and there's no doubt that violence attributed to Islam has increased massively. Whilst history can teach us much, the here and now is what we have to deal with. I'm no fan of christianity and could easily go off on one as to why I consider it abhorrent in many ways - but they've got nothing on the significant number of Muslims who actively engage in, or silently condone, violence against others. There's no comparison. And whilst one could put a good argument together that most Muslims do no behave in this way, it does not cancel the fact that Islam is responsible for a disproportionate amount of religiously motivated violence.

• Like 2

I believe in a god. It's the same god all religions believe in. It's that bright object in the sky we all call the Sun. Without it there would be no life on Earth. Everything else attributed to a particular religion is circumstance through the ages commonly known as mythology. That includes the out-dated Holy Bible the weak minded wrap their tiny brains around.

• Like 2

How about this for PC... Islam isn't the world's most dangerous religious affiliation. Islam is the affiliation of the world's most dangerous.

And the affiliation of the largest conglomeration of like minded dangerous and the most centrally controlled and globally connected dangerous. I can't understand why people refuse to admit that. I was watching O'Reilly earlier and he had an official from C.A.I.R on and he refused to admit that and just wanted to say yet again what Islam means to him. All peace and doves of course. CAIR is supposed to be a voice of reason yet he denies such undeniable facts and spins off into the usual drivel. I don't trust CAIR either. They sympathize and likely have their big toe stuck in jihad which of course he tried to sell as a simple struggle. What the hell are they struggling about anymore. They rule their own lands with an iron fist and there's a billion of them. Tired of hearing the oppressed victim card.

• Like 1