Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The initiation of life.

Hazzard

There are people that think that humans may be related to aliens,I don`t agree with their belives,but they may not be as wrong as one might think.

With the deep impact probe drawing much attention to cometry activity, there are people who think that life arrived on Earth on comets (mostly made of water ice) .

Life? well quite posssibly the building blocks (ie DNA, RNA, etc) . Nothing that would even remotely fall into the "advanced" category. But yes, It falls in the realms of possibility.

But I find it hard to believe that anything more than the building blocks could be there frozen in the water ice of a comet,after eons of exposure to hard radiation.

And how would advanced life survive the impact of crashing in to the Earth at several thousand mile per hour? unsure.gif

Edited by hazzard

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• Lilly

• Irish

• Hazzard

...With the deep impact probe drawing much attention to cometry activity, there are people who think that life arrived on Earth on comets (mostly made of water ice) .

Life? well quite posssibly the building blocks (ie DNA, RNA, etc) . Nothing that would even remotely fall into the "advanced" category. But yes, It falls in the realms of possibility.

But I find it hard to believe that anything more than the building blocks could be there frozen in the water ice of a comet,after eons of exposure to hard radiation...

Ah yes, Panspermia.

I find it difficult to think that life itself came here via this mode, the radiation angle is hard to dismiss. However, I'm not sure what protection is afforded if such compounds and perhaps even primitive life were, for example, buried deep in the core of a comet? Still questions around this one, IMO.

Some microorganisms can exist in spores forms that can withstand quite large doses of radiation.

Here is a good bacteria strain to Google

"D. radiodurans"

Enjoy

Some microorganisms can exist in spores forms that can withstand quite large doses of radiation.

Here is a good bacteria strain to Google

"D. radiodurans"

Enjoy

835147[/snapback]

But before they ended up on the astoroid they came from some place else. Such a theory only widens the gap of original creation.

Irish

Please people lets try to keep religion out of this one.

Yes I know that no one has said the R-word but we are borderline here I can tell. wink2.gif

Please people lets try to keep religion out of this one.

Yes I know that no one has said the R-word but we are borderline here I can tell. wink2.gif

835230[/snapback]

Both creation and evolution are based mainly on speculation. You can not discus the beginning of all things without touching on both. Our personal biases are a part of our thought process. So I am afraid if you consider intelligent design to be a religious view you are only limiting yourself to possibilities and become trapped in your own paradigm.

Thats what I was afraid of. no.gif

If there ever was an ATEIST I'm it.

To many bad things happening in the world for me to......

Wait a second,now I'm doing it laugh.gif...

Lets keep it real(AS IN SCIENCE).

Edited by DEBUNKER

Thats what I was afraid of. no.gif

If there ever was an ATEIST I'm it.

To many bad things happening in the world for me to......

Wait a second,now I'm doing it  laugh.gif... 

Lets keep it real(AS IN SCIENCE).

835669[/snapback]

NOT TRYING TO PREACH, BUT HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED THAT ALL THOSE BAD THINGS IN THE WORLD HAPPEN BECUASE NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES?

(SORRY FOR CAPS)

second I dont think they let you in the club if you cant spell it correctly.....Athiest. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

light humor really, just playing around. Its Friday, gosh diddilly darn.

yes, lets keep the ever UNintelligent tripe of "intelligent design" out of this.

i don't subscribe to the idea of panspermia. However, spores can survive in space and it has even been discussed in some scientific circles that humans may ultimately venture into the farther reaches of space by developing a spore that carries human DNA.

The difficulty with these discussions is it is hard for people to see outside of the history of their own species.

yes, lets keep the ever UNintelligent tripe of "intelligent design" out of this.

i

835684[/snapback]

Some more wisdom from you hyperactive?

let look at what collective wisdom you express!

dualistic thought is in the mind of idiots.

/forum/index.php?showtopic=43150&st=34

faith is the product of an incomplete mind.

/forum/index.php?showtopic=43301&st=15

it stupid to follow the bible?

forum/index.php?showtopic=43301&st=30

"gods" are not out there, but in a pea-sized part of your brain.

forum/index.php?showtopic=42748&st=30entry676434

the bible does a wonderful job of mystifying the mundane

/forum/index.php?showtopic=42748&st=60

hence why i call it "the book of lies" or "the dark book"

forum/index.php?showtopic=29616&st=285&p=676549entry676549

well of course please use more nonsense to help justify stpidity.

forum/index.php?showtopic=43020&st=15&p=676222entry676222

why not, millions agree on whacko religion!

forum/index.php?showtopic=42924&st=0&p=669333entry669333

higher powers that the weak human mind creates to comfort itself.

forum/index.php?showtopic=41993&st=135&p=665108entry665108

And lets look at all these people you concider idiots!

Famous Christian Leaders.

Political

George W. H. Bush - U.S. President

George Bush - U.S. President.

Ronald Reagan - U.S. President

Jimmy Carter - U.S. President.

Abigail Adams - first lady, wife of U.S. President John Adams

John Ashcroft - Missouri Gov. & Senator; U.S. Attorney General

Christopher Darden - Lawyer, prosecutor in O. J. Simpson case

Elizabeth Dole - director, American Red Cross.

Stonewall Jackson*

Alan Keyes - U.S. Presidential candidate.

Steve Largent - U.S. House of Representative from Oklahoma, former professional football player.

Robert E. Lee - Confederate General

Abraham Lincoln* - U.S. President

Don Nickles - U.S. Senator, Oklahoma

J.C. Watts - U.S. House of Representative, former college football player

Dan Quayle - U.S. Vice President.

Clarence Thomas - U.S. Supreme Court Judge.

George Washington - U.S. President

Science,Technology and Exploration

Robert Boyle*

George Washington Carver*

Christohper Columbus*

Kenneth H. Cooper - "Father of aerobics"

Michael Faraday*

Jim Irwin* - astronaut, Ark Hunter

James Clerk Maxwell - influential mathematician and physicist

Samuel Morse*

Isaac Newton* - inventor, scientist

Louis Pasteur*

Hugh Ross - physicist

Francis Schaeffer - theologian and thinker (1912-1984)

Carol Swain - political scientist, author of Black Faces, Black Interests and The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration (a convert to Evangelical Christianity)

Wright Brothers*

Literature

Oswald Chambers* - author, My Utmost for His Highest;

G. K. Chesterton - science fiction, mystery, non-fiction, Orthodoxy

Tim Lehaye - author, "Left Behind".

C. S. Lewis* - author of fantasy, science fiction, and non-fiction religious books such as Mere Christianity;

Catherine Marshall* - author, "Christy".

Norman Vincent Peale* - author, Power of Positive Thinking;

Frank Peretti - author, This Present Darkness;

Charles Sheldon* - author, In His Steps

Charles Spurgeon* - author

Danielle Steele - author

J.R.R. Tolkien - author, The Hobbit

Joni Eareckson Tada - author, Artist & Speaker. Quadriplegic.

oh please, don't use the old "appeal to authority" bit again.

intelligent design has been debunked time and again. All we ever see come from the ID camp is more rhetoric.

Also, do not forget people are a product of their times, of cultural evolution, of knowledge.

Do I think your list of people idiots? I would have to evaluate each individually in reference to their time period and culture. Since ID is a new invention of the creationists in an attempt to undermine advancement with a culture of suspicion, distrust, dogma, and intolorance.

now can we get back to discussing the original topic in a serious manner?

My point precisely. I just wanted to point out that in order to have intelligent dialog one must have respect for others opinions and belief. You do have a habit of calling others fools and I hope you will reconsider your attitude toward others. As I do enjoy most of what you have to say.

What I don't understand is why scientist seem to think that all possible life outside of Earth must need water and oxygen. If they live on other worlds they might need methane and sulfur to breath to stay alive. Why must possible life survive the same as we?

Intelligent design is based on religious faith. ID is not a scientific concept and does not belong in science class. I'm sure that those among us who embrace religious beliefs would not be very pleased if they were compelled to give scientific theories equal time during their sermons? This is blatantly mixing apples and oranges...not a good idea.

As to the question of life, we really only have life on Earth as an example for study. However, chemistry out in the cosmos still follows certain rules. There could be life based on some element other than carbon, for example, silicon but this is only speculative. I think that scientists haven't ruled out the possibility of life very different from that which we know.

I think that scientists haven't ruled out the possibility of life very different from that which we know.

835979[/snapback]

Which is unfortunate. New discoveries will be made. Each one likely to be more bizarre than the one that came before.

Lilly,

Silicon is old hat...carbon dioxide by-products make much more sense.

At, least, I think so.

836191[/snapback]

Scientists found silicon-based (and ammonia) "lifeforms" on Titan around June 30th of this year. That's not too old hat.

I found it. This is for all of you with an imagination...

Ah yes, India Daily...it's imaginative alright! laugh.gif

836553[/snapback]

They articles around the world.

yes.gif Nowhere except the Headline do they say they have found anything laugh.gif

actually, one of the problems currently faced is that while we should be looking for signs of life based ariound different compounds, those that call the shots are enamoured with the idea of "another earth" the searches get narrowed down by the preconception that "our world" is the norm.

Comets filled with lif....hmmm?

Take a bacterial culture. Put it in a nuclear reactor for about 10,000 years. Maybe that would equal the amount of radiation that the culture would absorb over a billion years in deep space bombarded by cosmic rays.

Then check to see if you have anything like DNA left. My guess, you'd have a lot of organic compounds but nothing like a viable genetic code.

I'm not sure if there's a hard answer for this question, yet. hmm.gif