Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should we send humans to Mars?

mars human exploration dr alexander kumar

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,221 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 23 September 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

If "they" won...why are we enjoying the sunshine and "they" are living in caverns?
Just as Long as I can take my Little monkey with me. ANd Theres underground water ,rivers,Lakes,But Not Slave drivers !

This is a Work in Progress!

#17    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

It is not a matter of "should", it is a matter of when. We will go to Mars, and beyond, it is our destiny. My parents were children in sixties and thought we would have permanent base on Moon and been to Mars by year 1980...

#18    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yes - its a must.

#19    jimbur

jimbur

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

I still think we should start with the moon. Set up a station there, get all the bugs worked out of the systems, then try to go further out. The moon is a lot closer for a rescue in case of problems then mars is.

Jim

#20    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,665 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think it would be nice if some real serious plans were begun to be put in hand as a tribute to Neil Armstrong, don't you think.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#21    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,570 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

IMHO, it's only a matter of time, money and technology before a manned mission to Mars happens.
After all, we did it on the moon.

Humans are the greatest "robots" ever created... with extra equipment of course while exploring.

What concerns me is whether or not they can, or want to, return to Earth. Surely a lauch facility similar to NASA would have to be constructed on Mars for a return trip. That, in itself, is a massive undertaking.
I've heard loose talk about a "non-return" manned mission. That is, establishing a human colony(including proper male/female breeding) that will likely never see earth again(excepting grandchildren of course)

I'm too old, but I would be most willing... with copious amounts of sedatives, or vodka and such...

#22    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,665 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

View Postpallidin, on 23 September 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

IMHO, it's only a matter of time, money and technology before a manned mission to Mars happens.
After all, we did it on the moon.

Humans are the greatest "robots" ever created... with extra equipment of course while exploring.

What concerns me is whether or not they can, or want to, return to Earth. Surely a lauch facility similar to NASA would have to be constructed on Mars for a return trip. That, in itself, is a massive undertaking.
I've heard loose talk about a "non-return" manned mission. That is, establishing a human colony(including proper male/female breeding) that will likely never see earth again(excepting grandchildren of course)

I could understand that with a voyage to the Stars, but surely Mars is near enough for it not to have to be a one-way trip? I'd have thought the most sensible way would be for a mother ship to remain in orbit and for a lander to go down, and while that would still leave questions to be addressed about where to find enough fuel for the return trip, at least you'd need a lot less fuel than you would if you were taking off directly from the surface.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#23    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,221 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Post747400, on 23 September 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

I could understand that with a voyage to the Stars, but surely Mars is near enough for it not to have to be a one-way trip? I'd have thought the most sensible way would be for a mother ship to remain in orbit and for a lander to go down, and while that would still leave questions to be addressed about where to find enough fuel for the return trip, at least you'd need a lot less fuel than you would if you were taking off directly from the surface.

Agreed It would be smart  to have several round trips ongoing  with orbiting stations  Earth side,and Mars side. THen landers and robotic supply missions ect. Make it a planet sized endeavor. I still would go If it was just one way !
:tu:

#24    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,570 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

I suppose the issue is two-fold.
First, drop fuel, food, water, re-launch and other supplies on Mars by somewhat current methods. Very expensive of course.

Then, establish "way-stations", perhaps 2 - 4 between Earth and Mars(with one or 2 as an emergency redundency), which contain necessary supplies for both the transit to and from Earth as well as emergency supplies regarding technology and life support. Again, very, very expensive.

Must be in the multi-trillions of dollars. But, could be done.

#25    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Postjimbur, on 23 September 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I still think we should start with the moon. Set up a station there, get all the bugs worked out of the systems, then try to go further out. The moon is a lot closer for a rescue in case of problems then mars is.

Just restating this quote, since it's pretty much my opinion too.

My religion is the Universe. So much is unknown, yet you can see it in plain view. If you need an explanation on why life might choose not to contact us, Google "zoo hypothesis"!

#26    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postpallidin, on 23 September 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

I suppose the issue is two-fold.
First, drop fuel, food, water, re-launch and other supplies on Mars by somewhat current methods. Very expensive of course.

Then, establish "way-stations", perhaps 2 - 4 between Earth and Mars(with one or 2 as an emergency redundency), which contain necessary supplies for both the transit to and from Earth as well as emergency supplies regarding technology and life support. Again, very, very expensive.

Must be in the multi-trillions of dollars. But, could be done.

Way-stations will be a difficult one because of the relation of the orbits of the Earth, Mars and the way-stations themselves.

#27    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

Yes, we should, eventually. Run it like the Apollo program.

If we want to colonize, without it being a oneway trip, we should start with the Moon. Colonize at, or near, the Moon's poles.

#28    goodgodno

goodgodno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• Explore. Dream. Discover.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

Depends if the Curiosity exploration program finds mineable ore... urgh, sorry I mean it depends if the Curiosity scientific program finds life.  I know which is more likely.

#29    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,221 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

I see money wisking by the Monitors as we speak ! THats the Human way afterall ! Cha-Ching ! :clap:

#30    jbefumo

jbefumo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Maybe we can start by sending humans to Washington - it would be a first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users