Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#31    museatlantis

museatlantis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Nearly finished Timeline by Michael Crichton then I am going to read the Stonehenge Legacy by Sam Christer. I usually read books by Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Matthew Reilly and Terry Brooks

#32    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

View Postmuseatlantis, on 14 May 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

Nearly finished Timeline by Michael Crichton then I am going to read the Stonehenge Legacy by Sam Christer. I usually read books by Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Matthew Reilly and Terry Brooks

Timeline happens to be my favorite Crichton book, and I've read and liked most of them. The world lost a great writer when he died. Is this the first time you've read it? What do you think? I also rather like the movie that was based on the book.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to add for anyone else reading this that I'm enjoying The Buried Book, the book about the discovery and history of the Epic of Gilgamesh that I mentioned in my OP. Damrosch really brings the overall story to life, including very interesting backgrounds on the major players of the British Museum in the late nineteenth century. The discoverer and translator, George Smith, comes across as very earnest and human, a sincere and diligent scholar with no formal training but a brilliant mind. He was something like the Jean-François Champollion of the early decipherment of cuneiform. And then there's the self-serving and dubious Sir E. A. Wallis Budge, a prominent curator of his day but someone who increasingly strikes me as a scoundrel the more I learn about him.

I have to ask if anyone here is a fan of the Jack Reacher novels written by Lee Child? These are books I simply ignored for years and never even considered reading. A couple of months back, however, I was bored out of my skull as I sat in my apartment building's laundry room waiting for my clothes to dry, and I noticed a Lee Child novel someone had left in there. With nothing better to do I picked it up and started reading. And was quickly hooked. LOL Since then I've read almost all of the Jack Reacher novels, albeit in no particular order. In fact, I'm about to start another one.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#33    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

Going Postal by Nathan Millward.  It's the first book I've ever bought from the travel section.

#34    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,821 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

I've read One Shot by Lee Child. I rather liked it. I've also read several of David Morrell's books. Just finished The Shimmer not that long ago. I would recommend Creepers and Scavenger, especially Creepers. Excellent book. Don't read a lot of espionage type books and didn't read his Rambo series, but Morrell is also a gifted thriller novelist.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#35    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Lots of Cussler fans, good to see.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#36    Agent D. Scully

Agent D. Scully

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• "O monstrous! O strange! We are haunted!"

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

This week is the last week of school for me, meaning testing and finals are done and over with and we've been instucted to "entertain ourselves". So, sitting in class all day is boring for me, people think I'm odd and they avoid me as if I've got the plague or something (I'm not exagerating about this, honestly) so yesterday I got a ton of local folklore books from the library to entertain myself with. Fun!
These include:

Cry of the banshee, historys and haunting in WV and the Ohio Valley By Susan Shepperd

Appalachian Gothic Tales by Jean Battlo

Coffin Hallow By Ruth Ann Musick

Telltale Lilac Bush by Ruth Ann Musick

The guide to Haunted West Virginia by Walter Gavenda

Not too terribly exciting, really but I'm enjoying them ;P

De omnibus Dubitandum. All is to be doubted.

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."

Come visit My  youtube channel!

#37    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,176 posts

• Question everything

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

Funny you should ask. I haven't read much in a while but right now I'm reading Our Haunted Planet
by John A. Keel. Schizophrenic little book. He starts out ridiculing ufologists and other cranks then proceeds
to go right into the same sort of arguments with the same appearance of credulousness. He states upfront that he's writing in the Fortian tradition, which is largely sarcastic, but if so, his sarcasm is much harder to recognize than Fort's.
It's a somewhat interesting read in spite of itself like so many other fringe books because he dredges up all kinds of interesting tidbits of fringe "history" I'd never heard of before. He mentions quite a few details about mainstays of early UFO lore that don't even seem to be part of the corpus anymore. Even so, he manages the usual trick of stringing together everything from ancient civilizations to paranormal phenomena to the Illuminati in one unbroken thread. I wouldn't recommend it exactly, but If nothing else, it's _almost_ worth reading if only as a sort of primer on the origins of modern fringe thinking. (and I use that term loosely.)

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#38    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

What am I reading...

Anything, as long as it doesn't have "Atlantis" in the title.

#39    Gaden

Gaden

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

• simple but not simple minded

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

Quite a coincidence that I came across this thread tonight, as I recieved in todays mail my copy of How The Great Pyramid Was Built by Craig B. Smith. I was compelled to skip to a discussion on ramps and thought it very interesting the amount of evidence pointing that way, contrary to what I've been told.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

#40    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,012 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

View PostGaden, on 17 May 2011 - 11:21 PM, said:

Quite a coincidence that I came across this thread tonight, as I recieved in todays mail my copy of How The Great Pyramid Was Built by Craig B. Smith. I was compelled to skip to a discussion on ramps and thought it very interesting the amount of evidence pointing that way, contrary to what I've been told.

Shocking when all the cards are on the table, ain't it?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#41    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,287 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

Outstanding. As far as I'm concerned, anyone and everyone who's interested in how the Great Pyramid was built should read Smith's book. I admit some of it was a bit complex to me (I'm no engineer) but the book is extremely informative.

I hope you enjoy it, Gaden. ;)

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#42    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,536 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

If you run across a sentence containing only evidence and logic that
actually supports the contention without mentioning fill in the quarry
and cliff face I'll be very surprised. I'm also extremely interested in
hearing it since no one has brought it forth yet.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#43    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,694 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:17 AM

Well, till now , there has been no book on geyser powered Pyramid Construction... :no:  :ph34r:

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#44    Wandering

Wandering

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

Do you all really read 1/4 of a book then start reading another one? Then stop and start reading another one??? Everyone seems to be 'reading' 10 books at a time :)

I am reading Saigon Express atm. Last book was classic Wilbur Smith, River God. Love Taita!

#45    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Not reading atm, because I don't really read, find it difficult for my eyes, even with glasses. But one of the books I read and love in secondary school was The Hunting of Shadroth. It was about a collosal shadowy figure that appeared in a sloped green plains/valley where a clan of people lived. It appeared shortly after a boy drew a picture of it accidentally, and so he was accused of summoning it, and was sent to destroy it, as it was killing the cattle.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users