Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

crime prediction software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,594 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

" WASHINGTON January 14 (RIA Novosti) - It seems like a scene from the sci-fi thriller Minority Report, but police in three US cities are already using or testing new technology for predicting crimes before they happen – and taking preemptive, concrete steps to prevent them, US media reported.
The crime prediction software, developed by Richard Berk, a criminology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, was designed for use by probation officers to calculate which recently released inmates are most likely to commit murder in the future"

http://en.rian.ru/wo...n_Software.html

Minority Report was a good film! I enjoyed the silliness of it! But imagine this software evolving over the next ten years?

Edited by seeder, 16 January 2013 - 12:55 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe, passing each day in peaceful contemplation"

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

View Postseeder, on 16 January 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

" WASHINGTON January 14 (RIA Novosti) - It seems like a scene from the sci-fi thriller Minority Report, but police in three US cities are already using or testing new technology for predicting crimes before they happen – and taking preemptive, concrete steps to prevent them, US media reported.
The crime prediction software, developed by Richard Berk, a criminology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, was designed for use by probation officers to calculate which recently released inmates are most likely to commit murder in the future"

http://en.rian.ru/wo...n_Software.html

Minority Report was a good film! I enjoyed the silliness of it! But imagine this software evolving over the next ten years?

I'm not surprized.

However in the article, is says it can accurately predict 8 of 100 crimes. 8 out of 100 crimes..... 8% suceess rate? this isnt even worth the hassle.... im sure if you put 100 criminals in front of me, my quess on who is going to reoffend would be a better suceess rate than that.

Posted Image

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,594 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 16 January 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

I'm not surprized.

However in the article, is says it can accurately predict 8 of 100 crimes. 8 out of 100 crimes..... 8% suceess rate? this isnt even worth the hassle.... im sure if you put 100 criminals in front of me, my quess on who is going to reoffend would be a better suceess rate than that.

thats kinda why I said give it ten years!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    JasonPollock

JasonPollock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• "Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" - Ernest Gaines

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

I'm not surprized.

I agree, it does seem pretty useless now, but as seeder said, give it 10, 20, 30 years and I think it could develop as a very useful tool for crime prevention, and I think it could definitely be a revolutionary tool for the police etc. As the article states, "In the future, Berk said the algorithm could also be used to help set bail amounts, decide sentences, and predict lesser crimes." so it would have a number of uses bar just predicting crime.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,510 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Of course they will be able to predict crimes quit accurately in the future because they will be watching your every move.

#6    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

I'm not surprized.

I think police departments are suckers for this crap.  Think about those voice stress tests that were all the rage for a while and then it turned out they are no better than chance at detecting deception.  I think I chose the field.  I should have been designing nonsense technology to sell to law enforcement.

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,227 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm sure they will find away around it. I mean at one time lie detector tests were the it thing. Now they aren't even admissible in court.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users