Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oldest Message in Bottle:

Still Waters

Ensconced in a plain glass bottle, the scrap of paper drifted in the North Sea for 98 years. But when a Scottish skipper pulled it from his nets near the Shetland Islands last April, he didn't find a lovelorn note or marooned sailor's SOS.

"Please state where and when this card was found, and then put it in the nearest Post Office," read the message. "You will be informed in reply where and when it was set adrift. Our object is to find out the direction of the deep currents of the North Sea."

The message in a bottle found by Andrew Leaper—certified by Guinness World Records on August 30 as the oldest ever recovered................

http://news.national...story-messages/

• Like 1

its hard to use that kind of messaging its like having a txt message created today and will be sent today but the reciever will read tommorrow or never...hahaha

its hard to use that kind of messaging its like having a txt message created today and will be sent today but the reciever will read tommorrow or never...hahaha

Sort of like the postal service...

I left a message in a bottle before.

The lady that responded to the email has since became a good friend of mine.

EDIT - Email? why did I write that.

What I was meant to say was, I put my email address on the paper and became friends with the person whom responded.

Edited by King Fluffs

I've heard of people putting messages in a plastic bag and tying it to a sting on a helium filled balloon and getting responses.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, it's a really cool idea but has anyone thought of the ecological impact this has, maybe none, but do we know? Thousands of glass/plastic bottles roaming our seas can't be good....can it?

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, it's a really cool idea but has anyone thought of the ecological impact this has, maybe none, but do we know? Thousands of glass/plastic bottles roaming our seas can't be good....can it?

Compared to the 'North Pacific Garbage Patch', a few bottles is nothing. 7 million tonnes of plastic spanning twice the size of Texas is just floating there. Disgusting really.

• Like 1

Compared to the 'North Pacific Garbage Patch', a few bottles is nothing. 7 million tonnes of plastic spanning twice the size of Texas is just floating there. Disgusting really.

[media=]

[/media]

I find it ironic that people will drink bottled water because they think it's good for them

and at the same time discard the bottle in the ocean or off in a ditch.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

I know that's really ugly isn't it, but should we add to it? Could we send out some sort of e-mail (just brainstorming) or some sort of electric signal? I guess we already do send signals in space..maybe that should be our new message in a bottle, everyone with little transmitters...hey maybe i'm on to something here....hhmmmmmm????

I know that's really ugly isn't it, but should we add to it? Could we send out some sort of e-mail (just brainstorming) or some sort of electric signal? I guess we already do send signals in space..maybe that should be our new message in a bottle, everyone with little transmitters...hey maybe i'm on to something here....hhmmmmmm????

Yeah they don't use the bottle trick anymore. They only used them roughly 100 years ago. Nowadays they use degradable transmitters and satellites.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...