Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Closest sighting yet' of big cat in UK

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

View Post747400, on 30 January 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

But that's what I mean, if it was easy enough to identify it as something prosaic, then surely people would. (Particularly someone who was a police officer (and i'm not trying the "appeal to authority", surely a police officer is trained to remember details of something that they only catch a glimpse of)). Doesn't that suggest that there is something curious about it?
It certainly suggests the witness and/or media may be reporting the event badly.  This was a narrow country road that a supposed big cat took 5-6 seconds to move across - was it moving in slow-mo?  Or, it confirms that 'trained observers' are not as good as they are constantly given credit for.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#17    kapow53

kapow53

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• Kapow

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Beautiful

#18    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:44 AM

No. Not beautiful. The witness said 5 or 6 seconds because thats how long it took. *refrains from laughter*

Edited by Evilution13, 31 January 2011 - 03:07 AM.

#19    cacher18

cacher18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

View PostOppono Astos, on 30 January 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

Unfortunate surname, could be a fairytale...  
So he had this in full view for 5-6 seconds at a close distance of 5m yet the best he could do was to observe that is was "a puma or panther-like animal"?  I've had a puma bound across the road in front of my car at around the same distance, and I could tell it was a puma, not this continuous ridiculous witness and/or media reporting of "puma-like" or "panther-like" animals.

The officer was likely saying a panther like animal because he was afraid of ridicule and disbelief.  Also if I'm not mistaken when these sightings first started occurring the army started trying to track them but was unsuccessful.  It is likely an escaped pet but some of the points brought up do leave room for debate.

#20    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,495 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 30 January 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

Unfortunate surname, could be a fairytale...  
So he had this in full view for 5-6 seconds at a close distance of 5m yet the best he could do was to observe that is was "a puma or panther-like animal"?  I've had a puma bound across the road in front of my car at around the same distance, and I could tell it was a puma, not this continuous ridiculous witness and/or media reporting of "puma-like" or "panther-like" animals.
You're assuming that others would be knowlegable enough about big cats to know the difference.

#21    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostEvilution13, on 30 January 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

Very elusive. Id say theres a big cat out there all right. They should trap it before it goes after a child.
I totally agree, but it's a notoriously difficult task. They're very wary and will avoid a place if they 'smell a rat'.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#22    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

View PostHumblemun, on 01 February 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

I totally agree, but it's a notoriously difficult task. They're very wary and will avoid a place if they 'smell a rat'.

Yeah I see. I havn't been following these cases so I wonder if there have been any alledged attacks on people over the years? I must google that up.

#23    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

View PostEvilution13, on 01 February 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yeah I see. I havn't been following these cases so I wonder if there have been any alledged attacks on people over the years? I must google that up.
Yes, there's been one or two.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#24    PAPA PITBULL63

PAPA PITBULL63

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

it is a lot more believeable that there are big cats running loose in and around england and scotland than it is to believe in little green men is'nt it?

"When a true genius appears,you may know him by this sign,
when the dunces are all in confideracy against him"

{johnathan swift}

#25    Psukhe

Psukhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• If you hear hooves, think horses not zebras.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostOverSword, on 31 January 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

You're assuming that others would be knowlegable enough about big cats to know the difference.

and that's a really BIG assumption.   There are numerous hybrid over-size exotic cats like Savannah's and other Serval hybrids that seem like the simple, logical solution to this mystery.

Posted Image

#26    farandaway

farandaway

Psychic Spy

• 1,232 posts

• I know the voices aren't real...but they have some pretty good ideas!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

View PostPsukhe, on 04 February 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

and that's a really BIG assumption.   There are numerous hybrid over-size exotic cats like Savannah's and other Serval hybrids that seem like the simple, logical solution to this mystery.

Posted Image

Wow, thanks for this post Pshuke.  People are the stupidest creatures on this planet.  Why they think they are entitled to have anything they want as pets, is beyond my comprehension.

But given the human proclivity for this type of pet, the sightings in UK lately could be some type of exotic.  Cats of all shapes and sizes, are notoriously good at running and hiding, so I'm not surprised they have a problem finding the animal in question.  I hope they find the animal before it hurts someone, or (god forbid) someone kills it.:huh:

And all dead years draw thither, and all disastrous things...  
The Garden of Proserpine by Algernon Charles Swinburne

#27    Psukhe

Psukhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• If you hear hooves, think horses not zebras.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:51 AM

View Postfarandaway, on 07 February 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

Wow, thanks for this post Pshuke.  People are the stupidest creatures on this planet.  Why they think they are entitled to have anything they want as pets, is beyond my comprehension.

But given the human proclivity for this type of pet, the sightings in UK lately could be some type of exotic.  Cats of all shapes and sizes, are notoriously good at running and hiding, so I'm not surprised they have a problem finding the animal in question.  I hope they find the animal before it hurts someone, or (god forbid) someone kills it.:huh:

That's a good point.  A cat that's partly a Serval, could escape, and then become more and more wild and more and more skilled at hunting/hiding to survive.

Edited by Psukhe, 08 February 2011 - 02:54 AM.

#28    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 30 January 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

It certainly suggests the witness and/or media may be reporting the event badly.  This was a narrow country road that a supposed big cat took 5-6 seconds to move across - was it moving in slow-mo?  Or, it confirms that 'trained observers' are not as good as they are constantly given credit for.

1. I didn't see anything where he said it was walking fast. Even minor country roads here are usually ~3-4m across, I'd say. If it wasn't in a rush it could easily take that long to cross.
2. He won't have tried to identify it for definite because police officers are taught that the mind can easily play tricks in an unusual event (especially colours being mixed up) so he'll have gone with what he thinks he remembers but won't try to identify from it, knowing it could be wrong. Also, as others have said, maybe he doesn't know how to identify all the species of big cat.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#29    PAPA PITBULL63

PAPA PITBULL63

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

if i had a big cat like that,no way would i let it out!

"When a true genius appears,you may know him by this sign,
when the dunces are all in confideracy against him"

{johnathan swift}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users