Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#211    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,696 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

I AM.
I am an artist.  I am a black belt.  I am a musician.  I am a singer.  I am a poet.  I am a song writer.  I am this. I am that.  I am many things....

When you leave all that you are behind  all that you are left with is I Am.  So, we can define Ego as:
I Am + any label.   I Am + Label = Ego.  Ego wants to control I Am.  Ego wants to be loved.  Ego wants, needs, attention.  I Am just wants to be.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#212    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,486 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Near as I can tell you're an excellent judge of character who likes old timey llamas. Close?

Posted Image

#213    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,486 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 25 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

Edit: Just checked your profile. Agewise, you're probably average.
Ha, I wasn't gonna say anything but I thought so.

Posted Image

#214    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 19 January 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

Hmmm, tricky....
Youre one of these folks I don't really know how to interpret because you use Ego as a tool, you admire it in others and use others ego to inspire positive change in yours..  

From what I've seen of your posts and comments you are very honest.. Honest with your self, and honest with others.. Your thoughtful, difficult to manipulate.. you can be damn stubborn at times....

Am I right?
yup pretty much, or at least as close as someone can be.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#215    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,694 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 25 January 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Near as I can tell you're an excellent judge of character who likes old timey llamas. Close?

In a way, not really.

1st off, I'm not an excellent judge of character. I just pay attention to what people say and I remember it, as well as their perspectives. In a discussion, nothing gets lost on me.

2nd off, it's a Bactrian Camel. Sort'a close though.

Edit: In short, your ego is developed and out front (you're a strong believer, in the way of not much confusion). Mine is, oldschool, maybe smug and reserved. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 25 January 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#216    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hey Prof T, would be interested to hear from you about what you think my ego is. You seem to be quite good at this, quite impressive how much you can learn about a person just from the way they interact with an online forum. Don't hold anything back ;) I'll be truthful in letting you know how accurate you are. At least, from what I've learnt and know about myself.

Was kinda interesting and big these past months have been to me. Did a lot of thinking and had a few things happen to me in the negative area. But yeah, almost come to peace with a lot of problems I've had. I thought I knew myself before but wow, I've become a better person in my eyes. As in a person I am happier with. Not sure if this is off topic but I definitely feel this has a connection with the ego in some way.

#217    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 25 January 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Hey Prof T, would be interested to hear from you about what you think my ego is. You seem to be quite good at this, quite impressive how much you can learn about a person just from the way they interact with an online forum. Don't hold anything back ;) I'll be truthful in letting you know how accurate you are. At least, from what I've learnt and know about myself.

Was kinda interesting and big these past months have been to me. Did a lot of thinking and had a few things happen to me in the negative area. But yeah, almost come to peace with a lot of problems I've had. I thought I knew myself before but wow, I've become a better person in my eyes. As in a person I am happier with. Not sure if this is off topic but I definitely feel this has a connection with the ego in some way.

Firstly, I don't think exposing Ego is a one off thing.. I, you, or any other member here is quite capable of identifying a persons more dominant Ego trait from their posts imho.. But that's not exposing what ego is, that's only exposing an outer layer of it, or one of the masks.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I can tell much about you. I've not conversed with you much over my time here in UM, so I havn't really built up much of a mental picture of you or your ego.. Also, just looking at your profile and last posts doesn't really tell me much..

Will have a go though.. And base this almost entirely on intuition, so please, let met know if I'm on the mark or not..

Me thinks you liked to expose other peoples weaknessess, your ego found it empowering.. But I somehow think that aspect of your ego was discovered and dropped.. I think the discovery was a bit of a shock to you. Now you are more fluid and less concerned with controling other peoples opinions of themselves.. Letting go of that part of your ego has made you more aware of your own self an your own needs and feelings...

Am I right?

Edited by Professor T, 25 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#218    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Okay, time to come clean regarding my hidden agenda in this thread..

My hidden intention was to get the one or two people (who I suspect of being fakes) and exposing them through their Ego's in this thread.... unfortunately, the usual suspects have not showed up here & not posted.. This surprises me............. Perhaps Ego is something they are very adept at discerning, and as such they wouldn't come near a thread like this? Especially considering how this has developed. Basically I've used this thread as a proving ground for playing with My Ego, and playing with one or two other ego's as well.. I've maintained that I'm no expert, and that is the truth.. I believe anyone can identify other peoples more dominant Ego traits so long as they have a healthy ego themselves and so long as they have a good understanding of the Ego traits that they have discovered in themselves or others..

Anyway, the unexpected results from this thread has been very educational.. I hope everyone else who's taken part has learned something about themselves and each other.. I think there is a basic progression with Ego, the more you learn about it the more empowered you become.  

Once people become aware of their Ego's & subtle ego's they learn how to control it.. And from there-on-in I think people learn to see and manipulate the ego in others as a result of knowing themselves.. This gives people who are "Ego Aware" a lot of power, because they can use their awareness to manipulate & control the actions of others, (Self serving & disempowering) or use it to help others become "Ego Aware" which makes being controlled by others at an Ego level almost impossible (Serving others & Empowering them).. Either way, Ego Awareness = power.

Err, hope that makes Sense... I guess a good analogy of peoples ego being addressed and used against them would be to have a look at the entertainment and advertising world. Big name actors are selling their wares and goods to your Ego, not to you..

Anyway, Basically what started as an egotistical experiment has proven to me the above is true.. I Kind of hope this thread continues and more people become "Ego Aware" for the right reasons because Ego is something we hardly ever see within our selves, but others see daily in us..

Through honest appriasal, intuition, and honest feedback about our ego's we can discover a lot of empowering truthes about ourselfs and others.. that imo, is something worth persueing..  

Edited by Professor T, 25 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#219    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

View Postjoc, on 25 January 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

I AM.
I am an artist.  I am a black belt.  I am a musician.  I am a singer.  I am a poet.  I am a song writer.  I am this. I am that.  I am many things....

When you leave all that you are behind  all that you are left with is I Am.  So, we can define Ego as:
I Am + any label.   I Am + Label = Ego.  Ego wants to control I Am.  Ego wants to be loved.  Ego wants, needs, attention.  I Am just wants to be.

And ego wants to be noticed..

#220    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,694 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 25 January 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Okay, time to come clean regarding my hidden agenda in this thread..
My hidden intention was to get the one or two people (who I suspect of being fakes) and exposing them through their Ego's in this thread....

Not asking you for any identities Professor, but what do you mean by 'fakes'?

I can make my own guesses from there. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 26 January 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#221    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 25 January 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

And ego wants to be noticed..
That goes a long way Professor T, to explaining the fascination with seeing other people on TV.  What do people watch on TV?  Other people!  I find it very interesting in a way that most don't because I chose a long, long time ago not to watch TV.  I don't even have one.  But, walk into the living room of the vast, vast, majority of Americans and there it is...front and center.  Probably true of most of the Western World.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#222    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 26 January 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

Not asking you for any identities Professor, but what do you mean by 'fakes'?

I can make my own guesses from there. :)

Fakes as in people who post comments about themselves, their own lives, their way of life and achievements and deeds which are false and un-true..

Edited by Professor T, 26 January 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#223    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 26 January 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

Fakes as in people who post comments about themselves, their own lives, their way of life and achienvements and deeds which are false and un-true..
You probably just opened up your PM to the guessing game! :yes:

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#224    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

View Postjoc, on 26 January 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

That goes a long way Professor T, to explaining the fascination with seeing other people on TV.  What do people watch on TV?  Other people!  I find it very interesting in a way that most don't because I chose a long, long time ago not to watch TV.  I don't even have one.  But, walk into the living room of the vast, vast, majority of Americans and there it is...front and center.  Probably true of most of the Western World.

So true!!  & good on you for not having one..

I hardly watch TV nowadays myself, only the news.. I find the people/personalities are plastic.. Their acting or actions depending on the show are egotistic or down right manipulative.. They portray false drama and smile their plastic empty smiles..  I have a 50" TV in the living room.. a X2 meter projector TV in the sitting room. A Two 40" TV's in the bedrooms & I'm currently typing at a 43".. These TV's aren't hardy used, and when they are turned on all I do is moan about the advertising which again, is adressing my Ego, telling my Ego that it needs to buy, to consume, to be in on the lastest fad or support this or buy that or think this way or that..
It's laughable when you start to understand it, but TV's like you say are front and center.. Ego is lead to believe they are there as status symbols or forms of entertainment, but in reality they are tools that control us through the manipulation of Ego.

Even the news I'm finding more and more manipulative rather than informative.. It it weren't for being a bit of a wizz with satellite dishes and having multiple options for news sources from around the world I'd probably get rid of all but one TV.

#225    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,694 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

View Postjoc, on 26 January 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

Hey Joc, we've something in common! I got rid of my TV about 7 years ago. Don't miss it one bit! If you come to my house, the internet's on and so is the radio. That's more than enough entertainment/information.

Professor T, I wonder how many other UM'ers have a TV aversion?

Edit: also @ Professor T, I wonder what it says about my ego to come back just to edit one minor spelling mistake. Ego thing, or a compulsive disorder? :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 26 January 2013 - 02:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users