Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Just How Far....?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,416 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:09 AM

For me there is only one thought that is more awe inspiring than the thought that we are not alone, and that is the thought that we might be.

Yes, that thought freaks me out far more than the idea of ET. However, at this time there's simply no way for us to know...frustrating isn't it?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#17    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

an invisible dream

• 2,958 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

For me there is only one thought that is more awe inspiring than the thought that we are not alone, and that is the thought that we might be

Wouldn't that be something. The whole universe all to ourselves. It's a shame it's so darn big though. But it's that way for a reason and i don't think we have discovered what that reason might be yet. I mean this in both scientific and spiritual viewpoints. God maybe wanted to make sure that we couldn't just go anywhere we please despite our evolution, we have to wait until we are ready. And scientifically that humans are radically out of shape so to speak to fit into such a vast universe, especially if we are indeed alone. So what is science up to or what is God intending?

#18    JJO

JJO

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

In my terms, very, very far away! Lol.
It's just unbelievable how up to date we are in technology to figure these type of wonders out.

JJO

#19    Legatus Legionis

Legatus Legionis

Bellcross

• 3,177 posts

• Everything that the human race has done and thought is concerned with the satisfaction of deeply felt needs and the assuagement of pain

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

In my terms, very, very far away! Lol.
It's just unbelievable how up to date we are in technology to figure these type of wonders out.

JJO

yes! but all we can do now is Observe. nothing more.

#20    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

For me there is only one thought that is more awe inspiring than the thought that we are not alone, and that is the thought that we might be.

That is awe-inspiring.
Personally, when I think about it,  it's a somewhat depressing idea, don't you think?

(Lilly...)Yes, that thought freaks me out far more than the idea of ET. However, at this time there's simply no way for us to know...frustrating isn't it?

Yes, Lil, I thinks it's alot more freaky to contemplate the idea that we might be alone in the universe than to contemplate that we aren't...

#21    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

That is awe-inspiring.
Personally, when I think about it,  it's a somewhat depressing idea, don't you think?

Not depressing but concerning. I find it extremely hard to believe that in this vast Universe we are the only intelligent life. However reality pays little heed to what we believe or want to believe. It ignores what we consider common sense (if it didn't we wouldn't have quantum mechanics).

Carl Sagan said of mankind that, "we are a way for the Universe to know itself." If we are alone (or the first) that is a huge responsibility on our shoulders.

If we are one of many intelligent races in the Universe we need to grow up as a species so that we can meet them as a mature species.

If we are alone in the Universe we need to grow up as a species so that our uniqueness can survive and we can continue to allow "the Universe to know itself"

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 02 May 2007 - 12:10 AM.
corrected typo.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#22    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

Not depressing but concerning. I find it extremely hard to believe that in this vast Universe we are the only intelligent life. However reality pays little heed to what we believe or want to believe. It ignores what we consider common sense (if it didn't we wouldn't have quantum mechanics).

Carl Sagan said of mankind that, "we are a way for the Universe to know itself." If we are alone (or the first) that is a huge responsibility on our shoulders.

If we are one of many intelligent races in the Universe we need to grow up as a species so that we can meet them as a mature species.

If we are alone in the Universe we need to grow up as a species so that our uniqueness can survive and we can continue to allow "the Universe to know itself"

Yes, Waspie... perhaps "depressing" is not the most adequate term for my feeling on the subject.
I agree of course, with what you say.

My position is that Carl's comment, which you've provided above, and quite accurately, paints an immense responsibility on our species...

But I cannot get my arms around the concept that we might in fact be alone in this universe.   I could almost say that it seems an impossibility (although I of course cannot say that scientifically).

I mean, with the bigness of the universe, a bigness that is so hugely big that it surpasses all other possible...bignesses... w00t.gif  (I bet you recognize that phraseology, no?!...I wrote that with a decidedly British accent)...how could it be that we, in our utter smallness (also with heavy accent attached!), smattered about a tiny, teenie planet in an obscure corner of one of a billion galaxies, could be located...by chance, on the only little dust mote in the entire universe that happened to have the correct chemical and energetic composition to allow the formation of life which would evolve into intelligence???
That idea, to me, is so impossibly improbable that it almost seems irrational to discuss, you know?    This feeling of mine, being elucidated despite the fact that it is in fact possible...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users