Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Japanese mayor: wartime sex slaves necessary


  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

    Queen of the UM Asylum

  • Member
  • 5,030 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Not much to say about this except... wow.


Quote

TOKYO (AP) — An outspoken nationalist mayor said the Japanese military's forced prostitution of Asian women before and during World War II was necessary to "maintain discipline" in the ranks and provide rest for soldiers who risked their lives in battle.

The comments made Monday are already raising ire in neighboring countries that bore the brunt of Japan's wartime aggression and have long complained that Japan has failed to fully atone for wartime atrocities.

Full story

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Tell that to the women .

I try to divorce myself from some of Japan's history ,but some of it ,should be known,just to make sure it never happens again .
I know the war stories ,and about Nanjing ,but nothing prepared me for this movie ,which I'm pretty sure,despite being called "Chinese propaganda", is pretty close to the mark.
Some scenes with comfort women ,are depicted

http://www.rottentom...life_and_death/

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 14 May 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Miss me?

#3    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,559 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Oh... Well since they were necessary...

I lived near Tokyo for 4 years and I admire a lot things about Japanese culture and the people... but they do seem to suffer greatly from a persecution complex... They seem to think that any criticism (no matter how justified) is a 'racist attack'...  Not all of them - but a significant number do...


#4    Mabon

Mabon

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female

  • Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

Wow is right! It just stagger the imagination.

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson


#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

It seems women in many cultures are abused and somehow the abusers can justify it.


#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostTaun, on 14 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Oh... Well since they were necessary...

I lived near Tokyo for 4 years and I admire a lot things about Japanese culture and the people... but they do seem to suffer greatly from a persecution complex... They seem to think that any criticism (no matter how justified) is a 'racist attack'...  Not all of them - but a significant number do...

Really Taun !?!
I lived in Shinjuku for three years .
Where did you live ?

And well Japanese psyche is a learned thing . Trial and error . If you want to function there,the faster you get their motivations,the bettter off you will be .

I'm very homesick actually . I haven't been back since 2009 . I went at least once a year when I wasn't living there .
From 1999 on .
I went the first time in 1990.


Miss me?

#7    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 7,311 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yoko Ono said it all aptly ..





View PostHilander, on 14 May 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

It seems women in many cultures are abused and somehow the abusers can justify it.

~edit : post bumped

Edited by third_eye, 14 May 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Quote

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer


#8    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,559 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Simbi - I lived in Minami (Sagami-Hara Housing area), and Zama (near the Sobudai-Mai station) East and south of Tokyo...  I was stationed at Camp Zama (at Sobudai-Mai)...  I got up to Shinjuku frequently as it was where our train line connected to Tokyo...

Really enjoyed my time there... (early 1970's)...

BTW: Have you seen the movie "Flowers of War".. about a secific event during the Nanjing "events" of 1937?..

It's a pretty good flick (though the -American - critics hated it), starring a lot of Chinese actors actually from Nanjing and Christian Bale...

Edited by Taun, 14 May 2013 - 03:06 PM.


#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostTaun, on 14 May 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Simbi - I lived in Minami (Sagami-Hara Housing area), and Zama (near the Sobudai-Mai station) East and south of Tokyo...  I was stationed at Camp Zama (at Sobudai-Mai)...  I got up to Shinjuku frequently as it was where our train line connected to Tokyo...

Really enjoyed my time there... (early 1970's)...

BTW: Have you seen the movie "Flowers of War".. about a secific event during the Nanjing "events" of 1937?..

It's a pretty good flick (though the -American - critics hated it), starring a lot of Chinese actors actually from Nanjing and Christian Bale...

Oh,you were there with the military ? Is either of those near the base at Yokasuka ? I had a few friends stationed there at one point.

And no ,I haven't see it. I will definately check it out . I will let you know how I like it. I like a lot of Chinese actors ,but most of them aren't as active as they used to be . Whole new generation of them out,that I know nothing about .

The early 70s .Wow .It must have been very different there in the 70s .
They progress so slowly there mentally,but not technologically . Their cell phones and gadgets ,a re always five years ahead of ours .
Then ,they didn't get birth control pills there,until the year 2000.
It's an odd place ,but I feel at home there.


Miss me?

#10    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,559 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Zama is about half way to Yokoska - though it is still further west and a bit north of Yokoska (I know I said East earlier - sorry I meant West)....  They form a rough triangle...

The 70's definitely were different than today - no doubt!... Electronics were no where near as main stream as today... Walkman's hadn't even been invented yet, if you wanted portable music - you used a transistor radio or a smaller version of the infamous "Boom Box"... it was considered very rude to use the later in public...  Anime was not as all consuming there as I hear it is now - no one going about dressed up as a cartoon characters - though they had other odd (to us at least) 'fashion statements'...

The Zama area was considered 'rural' at the time and had a slightly slower pace than other more 'urban' areas...  Looking at it now on Google Earth it looks like another suburb of Tokyo - no open fields at all...


#11    mike72

mike72

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined:20 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

I lived in Nagoya and Ichihara Chiba. I love Japan.  Going back next winter of 2014 to visit the in-laws and get my Daughters 20th birthday photos done. Its a big thing there when girls turn 20.
As for the comments i don't find them shocking, because you always get a some idiot any where in the world saying crazy stuff. I think most Japanese are embarrassed by what happened in WW2.


#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

View Postmike72, on 15 May 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

I lived in Nagoya and Ichihara Chiba. I love Japan.  Going back next winter of 2014 to visit the in-laws and get my Daughters 20th birthday photos done. Its a big thing there when girls turn 20.
As for the comments i don't find them shocking, because you always get a some idiot any where in the world saying crazy stuff. I think most Japanese are embarrassed by what happened in WW2.

It's a big deal for everyone turning 20 there . That's coming of age day .
I hate Nagoya personally . It's always so grey there . Dunno. I just don't like it . I've spent time in Mie though ,and its very rural and quaint ,but I really couldn't deal with everything closing at 7 pm,and the pitch darkness .
No street lights really ,and no internet cafes . It is quite shell shocking ,compared to a big city .
Have you been there recently ?
It's changed a lot since the late 90s .
I haven't been there since the tsunami though . Things are very different since that event,of course ,so I'm behind the times .

Miss me?

#13    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

    Integrity is all we have

  • Member
  • 2,583 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:White Cloud

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

My partner is Filipina. She holds Japanese in the lowest regard thanks to stories passed down from her female relatives.

Lets say it how it is. These woman were tied to a bed, often for years on end, and raped repeatedly. How that is justified is beyond belief. If anything it makes the nukes dropped on Japan seem like justice. In fact, if it was up to me, i would have nuked every last Japanese city if it ment that one underage girl wasn't subjected to years of abused.

On a side note, the Japanese prime minister a few years ago offered payment to these woman for their "services" and therefore stating outright that these women were prostitutes. Apart from the most poor, none accepted the money. They were not prostitutes, they were woman who were raped.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 15 May 2013 - 03:13 AM.


#14    AlasBabylon

AlasBabylon

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

.


There's a cure for that... and the US military seems to be implementing it.


.


#15    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 15 May 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

My partner is Filipina. She holds Japanese in the lowest regard thanks to stories passed down from her female relatives.

Lets say it how it is. These woman were tied to a bed, often for years on end, and raped repeatedly. How that is justified is beyond belief. If anything it makes the nukes dropped on Japan seem like justice. In fact, if it was up to me, i would have nuked every last Japanese city if it ment that one underage girl wasn't subjected to years of abused.

On a side note, the Japanese prime minister a few years ago offered payment to these woman for their "services" and therefore stating outright that these women were prostitutes. Apart from the most poor, none accepted the money. They were not prostitutes, they were woman who were raped.

*sags*
This is a fine line. Trust me. I understand ,but the people who did this,were all military .
Many of these men were following orders ,as the Japanese are trained to do ,and some ,took things into their own hands
.
All of this was written out of Japanese history books,until the mid 2000s.
Yes,the public had no idea. When it was first introduced in schools there,children went home crying .
They asked their parents how can this be,and their parents had no answers,given they never learned it in school .

My uncle explained to me ,why we dropped the bombs on them ,and if anyone thinks the Americans in the war didnt rape women all over Europe ,Vietnam,Korea ,they are living in fantasy land.

Dropping bombs,that have affects that's last for decades later ,is not the answer .
It just,isn't .....
.

Miss me?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users