Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mothman Prophecies

Metalhead

I just bought the Mothman prophecies, I am 50% through with it, and I have only had it one day. Anyone have any opinions on it? No spoilers please, if you talk about the content of the book, Ive only read up to the end of the chapter before "If This Is Wednesday, It Must Be a Venusian"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike G

• Black Hound

• littlelucky

• Metalhead

Finished it yet?

No, I cant remember where I left off today, I am too lazy to leave my computer to check. But it is page like 287 in the paperback version with the bridge with a moth on it, and the title looks like it is written in blood in all caps.

I love Keel's stuff. If you like that book, also try "The Eighth Tower". I like all the strange side stories that Keel puts into the main story. It's an interesting read!

I've always been curious; for those of you who have read the book, was the movie that came out in 2002 pretty faithful to it? I read that it was based on it, but sometimes that just means they share the same title.

I've always been curious; for those of you who have read the book, was the movie that came out in 2002 pretty faithful to it? I read that it was based on it, but sometimes that just means they share the same title.

The film varies notably in many areas. I would say it is a very loose adaption.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike G! I've requested the book from the library.

I enjoyed the movie -- pretty spooky in places. :o

Interesting to read, debate, dare even discuss, if" discuss" is the right word. It does make intereting finctional reading, if "finctional reading" is accurate.

I read that a journalist compared Keel's original notes with what was published in the book, and there were "significant differences" that Keel would not explain; that cast some doubt (at least in the mind of the journalist) that the book was an actual account and not an elaboration. I should have the book on Monday, looking forward to reading it. :)

Ok, I've finished the book, except for the afterword.

Ok, I've finished the book, except for the afterword.

And, what did you think? You won't spoil it for me, and it sounds like all other active participants have read it.

Mass hysteria?, group hypnosis?, group mind control?, whatever "it" was/is, I haven't read an explaination that makes even the least bit of sense re: the "creature", if a "creature" is what it really is. :tu:

I loved it, reading all these different accounts of weird events. There's more than just Mothman, there's UFOs, Men in Black, Bigfoots (or is it Bigfeet?), and other weird things. Lots of things and accounts, gives you a better, deeper, account you cant get from internet articles. If you were skeptical before, this book will change alot of things.

I checked this book out before and loved it, I didn't have enough time to finish it tho, had to return it. I might go get it again tomorrow and try again.

Edit:Can anyone recommend other books that are like it?

Edited by Murder 101

I checked this book out before and loved it, I didn't have enough time to finish it tho, had to return it. I might go get it again tomorrow and try again.

Edit:Can anyone recommend other books that are like it?

Keel's "Operation Trojan Horse" is another good one that reinforces his theory of ultraterrestrials and high strangeness. A few years ago I read "Mothman Prophecies" in one eight-hour sitting and damaged myself. I've had a fear of Wednesday nights ever since. So, just to make things worse, I read "Trojan Horse." His theories make a strange kind of sense to me, especially the way he lays out the nature of UFO sightings throughout history in "Trojan Horse."

I've decided to try to limit my Keel intake, just to maintain my sanity! :wacko:

I've bought that book twice, and lost both versions. Every time I had read about mothman, or Keel in general I would say "Hey, tomorrow if you have the time, buy it again, and DON'T LOSE IT." Then I forget. I swear, I'm getting that book again today. THANK YOU for the reminder. :tu:

P.S: Graveyard Hound, does your glass case have an alarm and or tripwires? LOL :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Mothman prophecies, I am 50% through with it, and I have only had it one day. Anyone have any opinions on it? No spoilers please, if you talk about the content of the book, Ive only read up to the end of the chapter before "If This Is Wednesday, It Must Be a Venusian"

That's a classic... lot's of fun. I always found Keel's discussion of the subject matter to be interesting and his ideas were very different from everyone's else. I'm not sure how much credence to give some of the stuff in the book, but that doesn't mar the simple fact that it's exceedingly well written and interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the little sighting factoids kind of fun to read, and it was nice to hear the whole deal after years of being so deeply interested in Mothman. I was disappointed that there weren't many instances of Mothman included, compared to more mainstream aliens. Also... I guess I'll just say it. It was almost painful to read in some places. It got stale, it wasn't very believable, and the timeline was extremely confusing. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're just salivating for the information. The thing I found most annoying was Keel's tendency to make every instance about him. He's just the author, a researcher, and for some reason everything seems to be aimed at him. Something happens to an acquaintance of his; it must mean that the aliens are trying to tell Keel something. Um, what? Am I the only one to pick up on his egotism?

• 8 months later...

I bought it a week ago and read halfway through in half a day. I browsed this forum to come up with this. :ph34r:

Sorry for bringing up and oldish thread. Just wanted to read what others thought. :rolleyes:

I bought it a week ago and read halfway through in half a day. I browsed this forum to come up with this. :ph34r:

Sorry for bringing up and oldish thread. Just wanted to read what others thought. :rolleyes:

What do you think so far?

I recommend the book. The movie... not so much. :blush:

I find it very addicting. If the stuff written in that book is real, it really does put a way different perspective on "aliens" and many other things. I have to wait until I finish to say more. :yes:

I find it very addicting. If the stuff written in that book is real, it really does put a way different perspective on "aliens" and many other things. I have to wait until I finish to say more. :yes:

Imo, the first two thirds of the book are the best. By the last 3rd, Keel swings the floodgates of his sometimes wacky presumptions wide open.

Edited by Mike G