Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The History of Schizophrenia

notforgotten

The history of schizophrenia goes back thousands of years. Over the centuries, schizophrenics have been considered mystics, saints, possessed by evil spirits or servants of the Devil. Schizophrenia treatment in history has been as gentle as using music and as violent as resorting to ice pick surgery.

Schizophrenia Treatment: History And Evolution? http://www.tree.com/...ia-history.aspx

I believe that the American Psychiatric Association has squashed the true testimonies of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints in heaven as well as demons and evil spirits by their over one hundred year old lie that it's all in these peoples' heads. These are the same people that would kill people by drilling holes in their heads trying to release evil spirits. The same people that would also kill people by cutting the frontal lobe of the brain out of them. One scientist got a Nobel Peace prize for doing this. They tried insulin injections which often left people in a coma. And they would give them enough electric shock treatments at such a high voltage as to make their brains mush. Are these the people that you want to trust and believe? I believe that those poor lowly "crazy" people that have said that they've talked to God, seen angels and the devil have been telling the truth all along and it's the modern day psychiatrist that has been lying. I believe that a grave injustice have been done against these people and it's high time people knew the truth.

Edited by notforgotten
  • Like 7

I know several people with that disorder, and I surely sympathize.

• Like 2

I believe that the American Psychiatric Association has squashed the true testimonies of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints in heaven as well as demons and evil spirits by their over one hundred year old lie that it's all in these peoples' heads.

You are mistaken.

These are the same people that would kill people by drilling holes in their heads trying to release evil spirits.

The APA has never advocated this practice.

The same people that would also kill people by cutting the frontal lobe of the brain out of people. One scientist got a Nobel Peace prize for doing this.

So which laureate are you talking about?

They tried insulin injection which often left people in commas.

Sometimes comas too.

And they would give them enough electric shock treatments at such a high voltage as to make their brains mush.

Although EST is still rarely used, its effects are better understood.

Are these the people that you want to trust and believe? I believe that these poor lowly "crazy" people that have said that they've talked to God, seen angels and the devil have been telling the truth all along and it's the modern day psychiatrist that has been lying. I believe that a grave injustice have been done against these people and it's high time that people know the truth.

Would you rather trust and believe people who are educated and practicing medicine by a code of ethics, or people who are seeing angels and the devil and believe they're talking directly to God?

• Like 8

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), is not done in the same way it was many years ago. It's much safer now.

They use lower voltage/current, they put you "under" and you are constantly monitored during the procedure and for a short while afterwards by medical professionals before being discharged from the hospital/clinic.

I have a personal friend who suffers from extreme depression, and after many years of drugs having little positive effect, it was found that he responds very well to ECT. His major depression goes away for up to 2 months. Thus, he is on scheduled ECT treatment.

There is more info here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/electroconvulsive-therapy/MY00129

• Like 3

I believe that those poor lowly "crazy" people that have said that they've talked to God, seen angels and the devil have been telling the truth all along and it's the modern day psychiatrist that has been lying. I believe that a grave injustice have been done against these people and it's high time people knew the truth.

Ofcourse you do, you suffer the same hallucinations. Though your truth is about as credible as if it came from a meth addict. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

[/size]

You are mistaken.

I beg to differ, I believe that you are the one that is mistaken sir.

The term psychiatrist was not used back in the middle ages, but they are the same people. The people responsible for treating schizophrenia.

Portuguese doctor Egus Moniz

Sometimes comas too.

Thank you. I've corrected my error.

Yes, they are not frying as many brain cells.

Would you rather trust and believe people who are educated and practicing medicine by a code of ethics, or people who are seeing angels and the devil and believe they're talking directly to God?

I would choose to believe those that see the truth. which is God, angels and the devils before I would believe a lineage of murderous liars.

• Like 2

Ofcourse you do, you suffer the same hallucinations. Though your truth is about as credible as if it came from a meth addict.

What would you know of truth Rlyeh?.... you believe in nothing.
  • Like 3

What would you know of truth Rlyeh?.... you believe in nothing.

Do I? So much for your truth.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), is not done in the same way it was many years ago. It's much safer now.

They use lower voltage/current, they put you "under" and you are constantly monitored during the procedure and for a short while afterwards by medical professionals before being discharged from the hospital/clinic.

I have a personal friend who suffers from extreme depression, and after many years of drugs having little positive effect, it was found that he responds very well to ECT. His major depression goes away for up to 2 months. Thus, he is on scheduled ECT treatment.

There is more info here:

http://www.mayoclini...therapy/MY00129

Maybe I'm being a little hard on modern day ECT. You have a good point and it probably does work well for some people. Thank you. Edited by notforgotten
  • Like 2

Dr. Egus Moniz received a Nobel Prize in Medicine (not Peace!) for surgical treatment of mental disorders in 1949. At the time It appeared to be a valid, effective, and promising if not revolutionary method.

This was the very beginning of treatment for mental disorders and every branch of medicine is full of horror stories of early attempts to treat diseases. I can assure that treatment for mental disorders has progressed dramatically since then just as it has in every other kind of treatment. It's unfair and misleading to claim that treatment of mental disorders hasn't changed in sixty years.

• Like 6

The history of schizophrenia goes back thousands of years. Over the centuries, schizophrenics have been considered mystics, saints, possessed by evil spirits or servants of the Devil. Schizophrenia treatment in history has been as gentle as using music and as violent as resorting to ice pick surgery.

Schizophrenia Treatment: History And Evolution? http://www.tree.com/...ia-history.aspx

I believe that the American Psychiatric Association has squashed the true testimonies of millions of witnesses to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, saints in heaven as well as demons and evil spirits by their over one hundred year old lie that it's all in these peoples' heads. These are the same people that would kill people by drilling holes in their heads trying to release evil spirits. The same people that would also kill people by cutting the frontal lobe of the brain out of them. One scientist got a Nobel Peace prize for doing this. They tried insulin injections which often left people in a coma. And they would give them enough electric shock treatments at such a high voltage as to make their brains mush. Are these the people that you want to trust and believe? I believe that those poor lowly "crazy" people that have said that they've talked to God, seen angels and the devil have been telling the truth all along and it's the modern day psychiatrist that has been lying. I believe that a grave injustice have been done against these people and it's high time people knew the truth.

Do you guys ever stop crying wolf?

Dr. Egus Moniz received a Nobel Prize in Medicine (not Peace!) for surgical treatment of mental disorders in 1949. At the time It appeared to be a valid, effective, and promising if not revolutionary method.

But, the truth is that it wasn't valid, effective, promising, nor revolutionary. It destroyed many lives and the scientific community gave him a Nobel Prize for it!

This was the very beginning of treatment for mental disorders and every branch of medicine is full of horror stories of early attempts to treat diseases. I can assure that treatment for mental disorders has progressed dramatically since then just as it has in every other kind of treatment. It's unfair and misleading to claim that treatment of mental disorders hasn't changed in sixty years.

Today, they just over-medicate patients with ineffective medication that causes diabetes and other illnesses. Also, there is still no cure for schizophrenia and yet today the doctors lie about what their patients have been telling them all along, that what they are experiencing is real, making psychiatrists still the quack doctors they have been all along.

Edited by notforgotten
  • Like 1

Also, there is still no cure for schizophrenia and yet today the doctors lie about what their patients have been telling them all along, that what they are experiencing is real, making psychiatrists still the quack doctors they have been all along.

Is that what the voices tell you?
  • Like 2

Is that what the voices tell you?

Now, Rlyeh, didn't your parents teach you how to play nice?
  • Like 3

Now, Rlyeh, didn't your parents teach you how to play nice?

Apparently no one ever told you not to tell fibs.
  • Like 4

But, the truth is that it wasn't valid, effective, promising, nor revolutionary. It destroyed many lives and the scientific community gave him a Nobel Prize for it!

You don't know much about the history of mental disorders. Do you want to talk about destroyed lives? Before then, people were locked up because nothing could be done to help them. This is what the medical community was trying to change.

You don't know much about Nobel Prizes. All these operations were experimental. No one was claiming that it was a cure for mental disorders but in some cases it had an undeniably positive effect that can't be dismissed even today. That proved that it was having some positive effect and it certainly promised better treatment as more was understood about the brain. This is what will win you a Nobel Prize.

Also, there is still no cure for schizophrenia and yet today the doctors lie about what their patients have been telling them all along, that what they are experiencing is real, making psychiatrists still the quack doctors they have been all along.

I have personally seen people so delusional that they couldn't count to twenty who were then back in college classes a week later after getting medication. This was back in the 80's when all they had were crude dopamine blockers like Haldol.

There are thousands of chronic schizophrenics who are completely aware of their disease and gladly take medication because they have found it allows them to live functional lives. Even more persuasive are the cases of acute schizophrenics. These people only have schizophrenic periods, usually triggered by stress or other conditions. They can tell you that during a schizophrenic period, medication will allow them to function nearly as well as when they're not going through a period.

But you're right about one thing: there is no cure for schizophrenia and no legitimate doctor will tell you anything else.

• Like 2

I would agree with you maybe except for the fact that people who have really long peroids of depression start to have auditory hallucinations as well.

• Like 1

You don't know much about the history of mental disorders. Do you want to talk about destroyed lives? Before then, people were locked up because nothing could be done to help them. This is what the medical community was trying to change.

And killing people in the process.

You don't know much about Nobel Prizes. All these operations were experimental. No one was claiming that it was a cure for mental disorders but in some cases it had an undeniably positive effect that can't be dismissed even today. That proved that it was having some positive effect and it certainly promised better treatment as more was understood about the brain. This is what will win you a Nobel Prize.

No one with blood on their hands deserves a Nobel Prize. Modern medical science knows very little about the brain, especially considering they believe that the testimonies people give about God, Jesus, angels, saints and the devils is a chemical imbalance and is all in the brain.

I have personally seen people so delusional that they couldn't count to twenty who were then back in college classes a week later after getting medication. This was back in the 80's when all they had were crude dopamine blockers like Haldol.

Attacks from the lying/deceiving devils can make people that way, even drive them insane. It's good to hear that those people stopped what they were doing that was bringing the evil spirits in their lives and got back in school.

There are thousands of chronic schizophrenics who are completely aware of their disease and gladly take medication because they have found it allows them to live functional lives. Even more persuasive are the cases of acute schizophrenics. These people only have schizophrenic periods, usually triggered by stress or other conditions. They can tell you that during a schizophrenic period, medication will allow them to function nearly as well as when they're not going through a period.

Schizophrenics often lie about the effectiveness of medication to pacify the doctors and government who threaten to take away their disability check if they stop taking it. What you are speaking of is forced compliance, no one wants to go hungry. Also, schizophrenics are aware that medication can be forced upon them if they don't take it. The truth is that most schizophrenics don't take their medication at all.

But you're right about one thing: there is no cure for schizophrenia and no legitimate doctor will tell you anything else.

Edited by notforgotten

Do you guys ever stop crying wolf?

Not when the wolves are real, wear a suit and tie, have a college degree and claim to be "authorities" on something they truly know very little about. The term "quack" comes from doctors like these.
  • Like 1

No one with blood on their hands deserves a Nobel Prize.

You don't know anything about Nobel Prizes, pal.

Modern medical science knows very little about the brain, especially considering they believe that the testimonies people give about God, Jesus, angels, saints and the devils is a chemical imbalance and is all in the brain.

And where is this belief documented? Many doctors in mental health are dedicated Christians and Jews.

Attacks from the lying/deceiving devils can make people that way, even drive them insane. It's good to hear that those people stopped what they were doing that was bringing the evil spirits in their lives and got back in school.

How do you know that medications didn't ward off these "evil spirits" and cure them? In any case we had people come in with no ability to function at all and they left almost entirely cured and remained that way. What you would have done? Held an exorcism? Sent them to a Scientologist?

Schizophrenics often lie about the effectiveness of medication to pacify the doctors and government who threaten to take away their disability check if they stop taking it.

These people are not on disability. They have regular jobs, some in highly technical fields. I don't think they'd appreciate you calling them liars and accusing them of cheating the government for checks they aren't receiving.

Also, schizophrenics are aware that medication can be forced upon them if they don't take it.

Schizophrenics cannot be forced to take medication unless they are institutionalized.

The truth is that most schizophrenics don't take their medication at all.

Maybe you don't but in my experience with working with chronic schizophrenics most do take their medication. They understand their condition and appreciate what medical science has done for them.

It's a more flexible situation for acute schizophrenics since most of the time they have no symptoms so they have no need for medication. Some are very good at recognizing the onset of symptoms and start taking medication when they appear. There are others who are chronic but have very mild symptoms. That's also a difficult situation because their mental state is often good but they can have unpredictable and transitory symptoms that in many cases don't seriously affect their lives. Many of these people go unmedicated because the benefits are marginal but their mental state is regularly checked for changes. Despite what most people believe, schizophrenia can often have very mild symptoms or none at all for some periods. The raving lunatic talking to themselves is more the exception in the disease.

It's odd that you would rather that these people remain dysfunctional and experience terrifying hallucinations and debilitating delusions. Then you call the doctors cruel for giving them help that has been proven effective in clinical study after clinical study!

• Like 3

Thank you for opening this can of worms notforgotten. I am with you on this ;)

• Like 1

[/size]

You are mistaken.

Sometimes comas too.

I know someone who never showed signs of this illness until AFTER recieving "treatment" using transcranial magnetic stimulation (modern version of electroshock? not sure). I dont believe all these psychiatrists actually live by a code of ethics. They see humans as subjects for their experiments, all they have to do is label you with a psychiatric disorder and your rights go out the window. There are many documented cases of this type of malpractice, you can research it if you want. I realize what I just said is hearsay, but whatever, just my 2 cents. Not all psychiatrists of course, I just personally dont see psychology as a totally solid science, yet the power people in this field are given is immense and can lead to plenty of abuse and malpractice.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Like 3

You don't know anything about Nobel Prizes, pal.

You're talking about a Nobel Prize that was won jabbing an ice pick into a person brain as treatment for schizophrenia. This ice pick surgery killed many people and cured none. The doctors that performed such lethal surgery were murderers. It's not necessary for me to no anything about Nobel Prizes.

And where is this belief documented? Many doctors in mental health are dedicated Christians and Jews.

Everyone knows that schizophrenia is labeled as a chemical imbalance in the brain The fact that some doctors are Christians and Jews is insignificant. They all can be misled, including a priest.

[/size]

These people are not on disability. They have regular jobs, some in highly technical fields. I don't think they'd appreciate you calling them liars and accusing them of cheating the government for checks they aren't receiving.

This is irrelevant. Many are on disability. And no one is cheating the government out of any checks. And besides, it's the doctors that lie more than their patients.

Schizophrenics cannot be forced to take medication unless they are institutionalized.

Yes, but they can still be forced, just as they forced frontal lobotomies and excessive electric shock on people.

Maybe you don't but in my experience with working with chronic schizophrenics most do take their medication. They understand their condition and appreciate what medical science has done for them.

Fat chance!

• Like 1

Thank you for opening this can of worms notforgotten. I am with you on this ;)

Thank you SpiritWriter.

The brain is very complicated and its the part of the body that is hardest to treat for mental or physical diseases. While in the beginning care for the mentally ill wasn't great but neither was early surgery attempts. Both have improved drastically.

• Like 5