Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is teleportation really possible ?

Saru

Physics students have calculated the time it would take to teleport someone from one place to another.

Four University of Leicester physics students published a paper in the School’s Journal of Physics Special Topics explaining that the energy required to teleport one person is shown to be dependent on bandwidth, meaning a decrease in time creates an increase in power consumption.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Deconstructing and reconstructing a human being. You wouldn't be the same person, no matter what.

• Like 3

why on earth would anyone want to let facts get in the way of a good story??

students in leicester must REALLY hate the movie 'weird science' i guess.....

Their calculations was using existing computer power. The enterprise started with more computer poor than the current availbe power on earth today. Then kirk upgraded his computer power, by converting one of rec. Deck to computer power.

According to Montgomery Scott it is.

Aw, that's too bad, I hate flying!

I agree with ZaraKitty....even though I'd love for teleportation to be possible, I don't think it is cause it means taking a body apart, atom by atom, to be able to scan it and send it to its destination.....isn't that going to kill the 'original' person?

I think wormholes are a better idea: they are just a 'tunnel' where we could travel really really fast, at the speed of light.............maybe.

I was thinking of a movie where they did just that. They would scan you send the info through the teleport, and then kill the origanal. So it was a copy machine. This could have been a new twilight @

I was thinking of a movie where they did just that. They would scan you send the info through the teleport, and then kill the origanal. So it was a copy machine. This could have been a new twilight @

I really hope that will never become a reality!

Their calculations was using existing computer power.

No they don't. The limitation in teleportation speed is based on the bandwidth of the communication channel. That is completely different from computing power.

I seriously doubt that quantum teleportation will be used for anything other than secure information transfer. You are just sending information after all, not matter.

To teleport a human being you would still need a pile of oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, etc. atoms at the destination to reconstruct the person.

It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but it may in yours. I really hope it becomes possible without the nastiness of pulling apart bodies and just moving them from here to there. I keep envisioning the movie, The Fly, the original with Vincent Price.

In the movie Timeline, even though it was time travel, you could only go back and forth a few times before your cells were so out of alignment you wouldn't survive. In Dune the Guild folded space for travel, sort of a wormhole idea.

Perhaps in the far far far future

Deconstructing and reconstructing a human being. You wouldn't be the same person, no matter what.

My thought is the deconstructing part would really hurt.

No they don't. The limitation in teleportation speed is based on the bandwidth of the communication channel. That is completely different from computing power.

I seriously doubt that quantum teleportation will be used for anything other than secure information transfer. You are just sending information after all, not matter.

To teleport a human being you would still need a pile of oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, etc. atoms at the destination to reconstruct the person.

A data burst could handle it.

Sort of like, Willy Wonka's "Wonkavision" device? :whistle:

I wonder if something like this could be used to leave out cancer cells when reconstructing someone?

A data burst could handle it.

What? The bandwidth of a communications channel has an upper limit.

When regular communications approaches the bandwidth of the channel, a data burst can reduce the transmission time by increasing the data compression (i.e. omitting data, assuming that reconstruction techniques at the other end can reproduce it).

I don't even think teleported data can be compressed without destroying the entanglement.

Some futuristic communications channel may have a much higher bandwidth than existing channels, sure. But again, that doesn't affect the predictions made in the original story. The amount of data that needs to be transmitted is fixed based on the complexity of a human being.

I wonder if something like this could be used to leave out cancer cells when reconstructing someone?

I think it we have the technology to reconstruct someone we will also know an easier way of getting rid of cancer cells... but sure, I guess so.

I wouldn't want someone to have the power to remove what ever cells they wanted.

In Larry Niven's "A World Out of Time" (I believe it was,) the hero notices after being bitten by a cat that his gray hair is disappearing.

He's been using teleportation "pads" too, and one such device transported him to another pad that was beside it.

He thought the cat bite (it was millions of years in the future, and the cat was legless, crawling like a snake) was the key to his new youth.

Turned out the tele pad reset his telomeres and removed all the wastes, etc. from his body.

Harte

Imagine the government using this on the convicted. They could go in and remove all the cells causeing him to be evil. The convict would be somene else.

Imagine the government using this on the convicted. They could go in and remove all the cells causeing him to be evil. The convict would be somene else.

I'm pretty sure the convict would be dead.

yeah it does. but not by humans. mostly the time shifter person. thats all. the possibility to explain to you is to highly private and it would be sound impossible to humans. so its best to shut it and let the pros do what they do.

• 1 month later...