Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

More Westboro insanity..

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,802 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Westboro Baptist Church=Trolls if you ignore them they will go away or turn to stone when the sun comes up, which ever comes first.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#17    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,342 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 07 July 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Westboro Baptist Church=Trolls if you ignore them they will go away or turn to stone when the sun comes up, which ever comes first.

It seems to me they've already turned to stone and are masquerading as humans. They're missing a serious chunk of humanity, for sure, but it's great that this kind of ugliness is exposed to the light so that everyone can see it for what it is. In they're own way, these people are teachers. They would make a great lesson to talk with your kids about over the dinner table.

#18    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,802 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I don't think we are in any danger of running out those kind of teachers.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#19    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

I understand these nutcases are basically just one family, no?
So why call them a church, and why pay them so much attention?
Afaic, they thrive on that. Just ignore the idiots.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#20    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

It seems to me they have this apocalyptic view about everything negative that happens in the world. As in this case for example, when people's property are burning, then that is a sign from their god as punishment to those people for being sinful or whatever sin has been committed against their god. But when firefighters come in and try to stop the fire and get killed in the process, then that is also punishment to those firefighters from their god for trying to prevent the will of their lord.

I get the sense these WBC people believe their god is weeding out everyone else but them and those that follow them, so that they can have a new earth, kingdom or whatever the hell it is they believe will eventually come in their favor, so that they can be fruitful and multiply.

It's about the only other thing I can make sense out of their insane behavior, or their other reason for doing this crap, besides the publicity.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#21    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,389 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I don't think ignoring them would work, as they tend to "get in your face"

Glad that bikers rallied to block them in Newtown and, seperately, that a law(I think nationally?) was passed that requires any protestors(WBC or otherwise) at the funerals of US servicemen/women must stay at least 300 feet(?) away.

It does surprise me that the petition to label them as a "hate group" was turned down, as they obviously preach hate.IMO

Edited by pallidin, 07 July 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#22    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,109 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 07 July 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I understand these nutcases are basically just one family, no?
So why call them a church, and why pay them so much attention?
Afaic, they thrive on that. Just ignore the idiots.
.I believe it's for tax reasons. And so they can howl about "discrimination" if they did try to outlaw them.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#23    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Obviously the WBC are well protected and know they can get away with any filth they preach from a bible... Otherwise, someone or others would have taken them out by now...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#24    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,802 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 07 July 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Obviously the WBC are well protected and know they can get away with any filth they preach from a bible... Otherwise, someone or others would have taken them out by now...

Freedom of religion, they can pretty much do as they want.  As long as they aren't physically abusing anyone or braking polygamy laws they are gold. Mental abuse is ok. They can take all your money and make you a slave if they want.  It is a religion and religion is good right?  :innocent:

Edited by Darkwind, 07 July 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#25    Astral Hillbilly

Astral Hillbilly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 171 posts

• Pain is inevitable....Suffering is optional !

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

I don't have a clue, but I've yet to hear even one logical reason why these so-called Christians would picket these 19 firefighters funerals. Nineteen young men, who had wives, sons, daughters, moms, dads, brothers and sisters. Tragically killed trying to protect other peoples property.

One thing that's sorely missing from this church is compassion. You can't be a good christian without it. Jesus didn't act like they do when he walked the Earth. Emulating him as he walked on Earth is something all Christians should strive for. The congregation at Westboro isn't doing a very good job. They deserve to be called out !

#26    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,005 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostAstral Hillbilly, on 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

I don't have a clue, but I've yet to hear even one logical reason why these so-called Christians would picket these 19 firefighters funerals. Nineteen young men, who had wives, sons, daughters, moms, dads, brothers and sisters. Tragically killed trying to protect other peoples property.

One thing that's sorely missing from this church is compassion. You can't be a good christian without it. Jesus didn't act like they do when he walked the Earth. Emulating him as he walked on Earth is something all Christians should strive for. The congregation at Westboro isn't doing a very good job. They deserve to be called out !

Very well said! I am at a loss to as to why they would picket this funeral or any for that matter.And you are correct they are not doing a very effective job walking in love and tolerance and that they are under scrutiny is a good thing. I like the idea of the petition, that as a community if we push hard enough we can mandate laws and establish boundaries on what we will not allow for in regards to human behavior, it seems it is needed in some expressions of religion. It is these types of things that bring the need into our awareness.

Edited by Sherapy, 07 July 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#27    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,811 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

They're also threatening to picket One Direction concerts.
Which is, IMO, for them a bad idea. Soldiers have self-control, you p*** off a bunch of squeeling tweens and they'll eat you alive.

I can see it now ... "WBC members mauled by 11 year old girls in OD fracas"

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#28    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,109 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 07 July 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

They're also threatening to picket One Direction concerts.

Surely they'd approve of 1D as proof that God hates the world?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#29    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,977 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

One of our members here presented a theory that I have since tended to adopt as to the truth of the Westboro clan.  The head of the church/family is Fred Phelps, a disbarred lawyer.  Phelps began the church as an attempt to screw over the legal system that he thinks screwed him over when they disbarred him.  By starting a hate group under the guise of religion, and then when someone attempts to sue them for hate speech, he can still represent himself in court and tie the system up for years, waste people's money (and tax-payers money) as he vigorously argues freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression.

It's a neat little scam, and explains the WBC quite succinctly.  As such, in terms of protesting the funerals of 19 fire-fighters, I don't think they need any particular reason.  They just want to offend as many people as they can in the hope of pulling in a law-suit against them, and then they can tie the courts up and screw over the system.

Makes sense to me :yes:

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#30    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 08 July 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

One of our members here presented a theory that I have since tended to adopt as to the truth of the Westboro clan.  The head of the church/family is Fred Phelps, a disbarred lawyer.  Phelps began the church as an attempt to screw over the legal system that he thinks screwed him over when they disbarred him.  By starting a hate group under the guise of religion, and then when someone attempts to sue them for hate speech, he can still represent himself in court and tie the system up for years, waste people's money (and tax-payers money) as he vigorously argues freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression.

It's a neat little scam, and explains the WBC quite succinctly.  As such, in terms of protesting the funerals of 19 fire-fighters, I don't think they need any particular reason.  They just want to offend as many people as they can in the hope of pulling in a law-suit against them, and then they can tie the courts up and screw over the system.

Makes sense to me :yes:

I think you're right...To add I find it completely mad and crazy beyond reason..To abuse a bible in the hopes to get what they want, is madness..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users