Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can depression be contagious?

depression laziness

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

I personally (from experience) think it is possible. A buddy of mine and my fiance had issues with it and it kind of rubbed off on me lately.

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#17    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Actually, the medical establishment does not know what causes depression. Chemical imbalance (to which I subscribe) is one theory. As one who has suffered from debilitating depression for most of my life, I think mild to moderate depression may be caused by sadness, but clinical (major) depression is a different animal altogether. At any rate, all the establishment can do is diagnose and treat the symptoms with various therapies, including talk therapy and the use of antidepressants. If you want more information, WebMD is all over this http://www.webmd.com...ion/default.htm. Is depression contagious? I don't know, but I see no reason why certain behaviors in one person can't influence the behaviors of another. But if you want to be a true friend, please urge your friend to get help. In some cases (maybe most?) depression can be cured. If not, it can at least be managed.

As for you, I think Spirit's advice is a good start, especially diet and exercise. Depression puts stress on the body, so you also might want to try various relaxation techniques, such as massage therapy or music therapy--whatever works for you.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#18    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 01 September 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

I'm no doctor. All I have is my own experience with crushing depression that had no other cause but brain chemistry.

I have too. I don't think there necessarily has to be some psychological reason (grief or sadness over some unresolved issue) for depression. Of course, for many there is, but it's not always the case. I had severe mood swings and horrible depression that lasted for many years. One week, I'd be happy and content and then it was like a switch would go off and out of the blue, I'd suddently be unable to get out of bed.  I even had suicidal idealations and I couldn't understand why I felt so awful. Eventually, I figured this was the result of a hormonal issue (pmdd which is like pms but a thousand times worse) I also had an intolerance to wheat, gluten and dairy. I believe that was contributing to my depresssion. Once all that was taken care of and I drastically changed my diet, I felt so much better.
All of the organs in the human body can malfunction in a number of way. It should not be unbelievable that the brain (the most complex organ of all) can also.

#19    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostRavenEyes19, on 02 September 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I have too. I don't think there necessarily has to be some psychological reason (grief or sadness over some unresolved issue) for depression. Of course, for many there is, but it's not always the case. I had severe mood swings and horrible depression that lasted for many years. One week, I'd be happy and content and then it was like a switch would go off and out of the blue, I'd suddently be unable to get out of bed.  I even had suicidal idealations and I couldn't understand why I felt so awful. Eventually, I figured this was the result of a hormonal issue (pmdd which is like pms but a thousand times worse) I also had an intolerance to wheat, gluten and dairy. I believe that was contributing to my depresssion. Once all that was taken care of and I drastically changed my diet, I felt so much better.
All of the organs in the human body can malfunction in a number of way. It should not be unbelievable that the brain (the most complex organ of all) can also.
Totally agree. I had similar experiences in the past. I haven't been troubled with it in several years. No doubt being careful to maintain proper diet and exercise and trying to regulate my sleep patterns(chronic insomnia) has a lot to do with that but without help from meds at some critical times I don't know if I would have survived

#20    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 01 September 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

I do't know if I would say that depression is contagious, but, I can see the depresed state of mind being picked up by others who are constantly around depressed people.
You just basically  described what contagious means LOL :tu:

If your constantly around someone that is depressed its going to rub off on you in someway.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#21    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

My feeling is that depression isn't really contagious. But if you are around someone a great deal who's depressed, it's very easy to lose your sense of perspective.

Now I'll throw something else out there. There has been a lot of talk in the medical community about certain diseases being caused by viruses. There are certain cancers caused by viruses and there is some speculation that schizophrenia and depression may also be caused by a virus. Just something to tuck away in your Might Need It Someday file.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

Also tagged with depression, laziness

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users