Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog helps push his disabled Chinese owner

Still Waters

This heroic dog is always around to lend a helping paw to his disabled owner as he spends his days pushing him around in his wheelchair.

Owner Laoma Yen claims he never trained his pet to push him in the home-made wheelchair,and that one day, the dog just decided to help.

http://www.dailymail...wheelchair.html

• Like 7

It's a very nice story but I wonder why the Daily Mail headline writer has to point out that he's Chinese. They also ad this in the sub-headline; "Chinese Yen says he never trained his dog to push him around".

Does it make a difference? Isn't it obvious?

• Like 2

So surprise here, my dog alerts for me. I never trained the alert part. She learned it from the cat. I wish I knew what she was picking up, but I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

I just realized the bitter irony of this man's situation. He makes his living repairing other people's shoes but he himself will never wear out a pair. :(

• Like 1

It's a very nice story but I wonder why the Daily Mail headline writer has to point out that he's Chinese. They also ad this in the sub-headline; "Chinese Yen says he never trained his dog to push him around".

Does it make a difference? Isn't it obvious?

When I'm telling a story to anyone that involves someone they have never met I'm almost always descriptive about their appearance. It can make the difference between a biker chick decks a man in a bar or if it was a petite, 90 pound woman in a business suit. :lol:

• Like 1

When I'm telling a story to anyone that involves someone they have never met I'm almost always descriptive about their appearance. It can make the difference between a biker chick decks a man in a bar or if it was a petite, 90 pound woman in a business suit. :lol:

Yes, I can see your point, but this isn't a verbal story that you'd be telling me in a bar. What's wrong with the headline, "Dog Helps Push His Disabled Owner"? Isn't that the real story? Is it anymore an amazing story that it takes place in China? There's also plenty of pictures that indicate that he is in fact Chinese. What struck me though was the sub-head that referred to him as "Chinese Yen".

It's a little dismissive.

• Like 4

Yes, I can see your point, but this isn't a verbal story that you'd be telling me in a bar. What's wrong with the headline, "Dog Helps Push His Disabled Owner"? Isn't that the real story? Is it anymore an amazing story that it takes place in China? There's also plenty of pictures that indicate that he is in fact Chinese. What struck me though was the sub-head that referred to him as "Chinese Yen".

It's a little dismissive.

I agree, but most people can't tell the difference between people from one Asian country or another by pictures.

• Like 2

I agree, but most people can't tell the difference between people from one Asian country or another by pictures.

It's always in the dateline of a story. They say where and when at the very start of every news story.

'Chinese' doesn't just define a country, it defines an ethnicity. He could have been a Chinese living in Malaysia, of which there are many.

The part that struck me the most was the sub-head I suppose when they referred to him as "Chinese Yen", it demeans him. He has a name. It would be like you being referred to as just "American Michelle". If this same story was about you in your wheelchair with your dog, I'd object as well. This man has more diginity in his little finger that I probably have in my whole body.

Maybe I'm too sensitive, I don't know.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm too sensitive, I don't know.

Maybe just a tad. I know I've been called worse than "American Michelle". ;)

They did give his full name in the article. It's like when they refer to someone as a grandmother. Even if I had grandchildren I wouldn't want to be referred to as a grandmother...but they do.

Edited by Michelle

Maybe just a tad. I know I've been called worse than "American Michelle". ;)

Ya never know, he may have asked them not to use his last name. Stranger things have happened.

His name is Laoma Yen, it's in the story. In Chinese 'Laoma' is his surname.

His name is Laoma Yen, it's in the story. In Chinese 'Laoma' is his surname.

I edited my post at the same time you were replying. haha

Is political correctness going a little mad? How is it demeaning or dismissive to refer to someone by their ethnicity? Almost everyone I have met who doesn't have some kind of a chip on their shoulder is proud of their ethnic origins and the heritage that comes with it. If there is more being inferred than the fact that he is chinese, surely it is being inferred by the reader and not the writer?

• Like 1

If things goes as things has gone ~ Laoma Yen's surname is Yen , name LaoMa ... 'Old Horse' ~

~

• Like 1