Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone Impressed by Capaldi as Dr.Who?

Hi guys, as a life-long Dr.Who fan that has a bit of form with regards to slating new doctors before giving them a real chance,......I was pleasantly surprised when the announcement was made that an actor that I have long admired 'Peter Capaldi' was going to be the new Doctor.....but after having watched his first two outings I have to say that i'm still to be convinced that Peter Capaldi was really the best choice for the 12th doctor?...it's not that he is actually playing it awful, or taking his portrayal of the Time-Lord too far away from the spirit of The Doctor or anything!....No!, perhaps it is just the opposite?...perhaps Capaldi is in fact playing the part just too safely?....What I mean to say is that I am by no means blinded to the fact that a large part of the blame must be laid at the doorstep of the weakness in story-lines and the dialogue given to him, which must be really frustrating for any new replacement-Doctor,....but i'm thus far finding the 'New Doctor' ...shall we say...a little bland!

....What do you guys think??

Cheers.

....by the way....I couldn't help but finding this little article slightly amusing....

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/sep/11/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-american-fans-scottish-accent

....I know that Peter cannot really disguise his Glaswegian accent too much....but is it really so bad for you guys in America?? :unsure2:

So far I have to agree with your sentiments, though I've enjoyed the new season so far it just hasn't had the same appeal to me as the last two doctors. I'm hoping the episodes and the new Doctor start to pick up some steam moving forward.

• Like 1

I like the new doctor he is kind of mean lol. And alittel more serious and older. Which k know is diffrent then all the other doctors but I like haveing a change every once in a while

• Like 1

I do like the move away from the Doctor as a romance figure, but I feel the scripts for the series have so far been underwhelming - as if the scriptwriters have become so hung up on creating a quasi-sexual tension between the Doctor and companion to add 'bite' to the scripts that they are now at a loss as to how to make each programme exciting to watch. They even had to bring in what appears to be a new love interest for Clara (the soldier-turned-teacher) to substitute for the Doctor-companion romantic 'frisson'.

Perhaps the scripts will improve as the new series develops. I don't have any particular comment against Peter Capaldi's acting, I think it is simply the scriptwriting that is letting the show down. Perhaps also we are seeing a bit of limitation in Jenna Coleman's acting ability, as she has to carry off dramatic acting without any romance component in her new role. If so then I hope she will develop a more effective 'romance-less' drama style as her role in the new series evolves.

• Like 3

I have only seen the premier episode, and I saved the second one. Let's just say, I'm still open and the jury is still out. I will have to wait til I view the second episode I have recorded and view the third one on demand. I was away and didn't bother setting up my DVR. From what I see so far, I think it's going back to what the doctor was in the past. I have to still get use to him. Considering we have gotten a much younger and probably in some sense, a sexier doctor, and my apologies to Mr. Capalde, but I see him more of the older, kinder, wiser professor type. Which I am wondering is where they want to take this. And I think there is some chemistry to Jenna and him, but that is also where the jury is still out. I don't know yet.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. :tu: ...it seems that we are all singing from the same hymn-sheet, and will simply have to wait and see if the scripts improve.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. :tu: ...it seems that we are all singing from the same hymn-sheet, and will simply have to wait and see if the scripts improve.

Cheers.

I think it's going to take a few episodes for them to truly get the new Doctor rolling, to be entirely honest whenever they change the Doctor it takes several episode for me to get used to the new one. I had a hard time getting used to Matt Smith at first as I really enjoyed David Tennant as the Doctor, however once they got a few episodes in I started to enjoy Matt Smith as the Doctor. I still prefer David Tennant, something about him and Rose really stuck with me, so anyways i'm hoping Capaldi manages to captivate eventually. Not to mention it's kinda hard transitioning from the awesomeness that was last season IMHO.

• Like 2

I love him to bits.

Robots of Sherwood was hilarious simply because he was obsessed with a puzzle that didn't exist and his curiosity simply wouldn't let him accept the simple answer.

Into the Dalek was brilliant, he honestly didn't know why his reaction to a "good Dalek" was hatred and not curiosity and awe.

I'd hardly call him bland, he's got all the quinetesntislly "Doctor" elements, curiosity, ego, wit, charm, cunning. He just doesn't have that "play nicely with others" filter other Doctors had.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 3

Capaldi is amazing. The most capable actor of New Who so far. But the scripts so far are crap. The most exciting thing has been the shot of Troughton in the Robin Hood episode. Moffat is just........ good god, can he stop? I'm terrified that 'Missy' is going to be the Rani. She's got a thing for T-Rex, so unfortunately it fits. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't trust Moffat to actually understand what that character is about.

Ultimately, though, yeah, Capaldi is going to do great things, assuming Moffat will let him. Probably my favorite doctor since Eight. I'd love for Capaldi to get the chance to do some directing on the show, actually.

(oh, and as for not understanding Capaldi and his accent, I'm Canadian, and it's not bad at all)

Edited by Sixth
  • Like 3

Not to basically double post or anything, but that last episode was terrible. There were like... three different plots going on, what a mess. Moffat is in love with himself too, isn't he? Don't throw the War Doctor in my face. Just bleh.

• Like 1

I’m not too impressed with Mr Capaldi but that’s because he seems to mumble a lot and he’s more ganglier than the previous Doctor…Although once he gets into the role more I’m guessing he’ll do better…Hope so!

However I was just as bias about Matt Smith. It took me a while to warm up to him but in the end I was quite sad to see him leave.

The best one so far I’d state was David Tennant but then again I’m a wee bit bias regarding him…He was my daughters favourite actor and during the last few years of her life she would actually forget the pain that she was suffering and a beautiful smile would appear on her face whenever she watched Dr Who with David…Still brings a tear to me eye when thinking about that and how disappointed she was when he left the show.

• Like 2

I like him. Doing fairly well so far. A couple of the episodes weren't wishy-washy.

But anything that I would eventually disagree with I can easily lay at Moffat's feet.

• Like 2

I like, in fact I love, the way his Doctor is written as rather then being a man haunted by his past, or "the Lonely God" or "Time Lord Victorious" or anything like that, he's just someone tooling about the cosmos kicking over rocks to see what's underneath, driven by curiosity rather then grief.

The look of awe he gets on his face when presented with something new or interesting, it's brilliant.

• Like 2

I’m not too impressed with Mr Capaldi but that’s because he seems to mumble a lot and he’s more ganglier than the previous Doctor…Although once he gets into the role more I’m guessing he’ll do better…Hope so!

However I was just as bias about Matt Smith. It took me a while to warm up to him but in the end I was quite sad to see him leave.

The best one so far I’d state was David Tennant but then again I’m a wee bit bias regarding him…He was my daughters favourite actor and during the last few years of her life she would actually forget the pain that she was suffering and a beautiful smile would appear on her face whenever she watched Dr Who with David…Still brings a tear to me eye when thinking about that and how disappointed she was when he left the show.

Hi Meridian ...As I mentioned earlier, I have long been a bit of a fan of Peter Capaldi's work, and being that i'm of the opinion that his acting abilities are easily a match for any previous Doctor [with the obvious exception of 'his nibs John Hurt' of course] so I will obviously give him a pretty lengthy settling-in period. .... The two main bones of contention that I have with this ...so far unsatisfactory transition from 'Smith to Capaldi' is that I feel that he is trying to convey too much befuddlement of his own character in order to generate a bit of a dark mystery as to whether or not he is going to be a good guy that can always be relied upon no matter how flawed the people around him are?...or a much more judgemental and harsher Doctor with a decidedly dark side?......But how much of that is Peter's own turn on the Doctor, and how much has he been instructed to play it this way by 'Moffat' ...who knows?... Either way, I find it irritating!

And secondly...is that basically I have to agree with 'Sixth' and disagree with 'Sir Wearer of Hats' above...and say that the first three episodes [storyline wise] have been pretty limp efforts imo, and unless we see a marked improvement from the script writing department....then i'm afraid that Peter is always going to be 'swimming a up-hill-race ' with regards to leaving much of a serious mark on his tenure of being the great time-lord when his time is up!

As for Matt Smith....as I mentioned earlier...I have to eat a large slice of humble pie there! lol....I was very vocal in my vehemental disapproval at the casting of a 'spotty faced skinny little oik' as my beloved Doctor....only to realise, about the third or fourth episode...that his natural brilliance had been sliding right over the top of my stupid head!....He was in fact fantastic, and an inspired bit of casting by an insightful producer....and imo should have done a few more years in the TARDIS before running off to find other projects.

Thank you for sharing the heart rendering reason for your attachment to David Tennant, [ my sincerest condolences for your loss.]...I must say that I was never that impressed with his overly smug rendition of the Doctor. I believe that his performance was massively more style above content,...and it wasn't a style that I appreciated. But as you have a perfectly valid reason to hold him in such high esteem...then obviously I am not going to question your choice of whom was the best Doctor of them all....and in view of the pleasure that he brought to your beautiful daughter, then I am heartily glad that he was chosen to be the 10th Doctor. :tu:

Cheers.

• Like 1

I think Capaldi is going to be in it for a couple of years (being such a huge fan for so long), so I'm sure he'll eventually have an acceptable episode or two. If Moffat can get his head out of his ****, which is questionable.

As for Ten's 'style over content' and smugness..... golly, sounds like quite the throw-back to Six, huh? And, you know, other Doctors. I see quite a bit of Six in Doctor Twelve so far, actually. Every single Doctor has had a lengthy(ish) settling-in period (hell, McGann's entire movie was pretty much about that), but I don't think that's what we're seeing with Twelve. It's just crap writing. The 'is the Doctor a good man?' line is just a rehash of Trial of a Time Lord (again, his Six is showing). Everything about his befuddlement screams directing/writing choice to me, rather than that of Capaldi, which should actually be an interesting plot point - I mean, he was given a new set of regenerations, what a fascinating idea! Something the Master was begging for forever! But where did that go? No where, apparently. The show has been painful since Moffat took over as show runner. Thank god I still have my audio plays, otherwise I could no longer count myself a Whovian.

• Like 3

I like, in fact I love, the way his Doctor is written as rather then being a man haunted by his past, or "the Lonely God" or "Time Lord Victorious" or anything like that, he's just someone tooling about the cosmos kicking over rocks to see what's underneath, driven by curiosity rather then grief.

The look of awe he gets on his face when presented with something new or interesting, it's brilliant.

I agree, I watched "Listen" last night, and I like him more and more as the series goes on. Great wit, and removal of the romancing of assistants which I agee was taxing on the direction of the show. No Hugs!! He comes up with some great one liners and not only are people slow to talking to him, so was Clara, one wonders if he was intended to be a bit more assertive, in fact rather than Matt Smith I felt I saw shades of Tom Baker in Capaldi's performance last night, and I swear I remember honestly thinking those very words as I watched it last night.

Peter Capaldi has done Dr Who before too, he was in the episode Fires of Pompeii with David Tenant.

• Like 1

I think Capaldi is going to be in it for a couple of years (being such a huge fan for so long), so I'm sure he'll eventually have an acceptable episode or two. If Moffat can get his head out of his ****, which is questionable.

Despite your grievances on the scripts I hope he stays about for a bit, but Christopher Eccleston only lasted one season. But then again, he had some problems with the show that I never learned more about.

• Like 1

Despite your grievances on the scripts I hope he stays about for a bit, but Christopher Eccleston only lasted one season. But then again, he had some problems with the show that I never learned more about.

Less "with the show" and more "with certain people behind the scenes".

• Like 3

Less "with the show" and more "with certain people behind the scenes".

Ahh, that old chestnut. Shame that, I liked his somewhat goofy character. Great way to come back I thought. A whole new look, I thought Paul McGann tried to borrow too much from Tom Baker, but still enjoyed the movie.

• Like 1

Paul's Doctor can not be measured alone by the film, concidering 'Night of the Doctor' made a good deal of the audios cannon. And I question how much of an influence Tom had on Paul's choices as I don't think he was a fan before filming, in the way Tennant and Capaldi were. Probably directing stuff again. The jelly baby stuff was very passe.

• Like 1

I like the new Doctor! The Doctors kept getting younger and younger. Didn't like that at all.

I think the story lines are great and the new (strange) interaction with Clara is SO much more interesting.

Plus, the new Doctor has eyebrows. Eyebrows are important.

Nibs

• Like 4

I agree, I watched "Listen" last night, and I like him more and more as the series goes on. Great wit, and removal of the romancing of assistants which I agee was taxing on the direction of the show. No Hugs!! He comes up with some great one liners and not only are people slow to talking to him, so was Clara, one wonders if he was intended to be a bit more assertive, in fact rather than Matt Smith I felt I saw shades of Tom Baker in Capaldi's performance last night, and I swear I remember honestly thinking those very words as I watched it last night.

Peter Capaldi has done Dr Who before too, he was in the episode Fires of Pompeii with David Tenant.

I had no idea Capaldi was in Fires of Pompeii, I love that episode, i'll have to rewatch for giggles.

• Like 1

Paul's Doctor can not be measured alone by the film, concidering 'Night of the Doctor' made a good deal of the audios cannon. And I question how much of an influence Tom had on Paul's choices as I don't think he was a fan before filming, in the way Tennant and Capaldi were. Probably directing stuff again. The jelly baby stuff was very passe.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the film, and the American twist was interesting, I am glad they did it, it seemed like BBC "wanted it back" after that. I was more referring to the writing than the acting sorry for the confusion - remember when he first changes and goes to put on Tom Bakers scarf? There seemed to be many little mannerisms that were injected but what you make sense, the way Capaldi expresses himself in Listen is what made me think of Tom Baker - and the acting. Paul would have been great in a series given the chance I am sure.

Well, to the American audiences, which they were trying to bring the show to with the film (plus get a reboot - Paul often refers to the movie as a 'pilot'), Tom Baker was the most famous Doctor, and he seems to still be the most popular among the classics (although I ask... why?!) so I'm not surprised with all the Tom references. Of course, we also got Syl snacking on jelly-babies in the Tardis, so.

And Paul is a great Doctor in his own series - the audios, which he's practically king of (although the Six stuff is wonderful to have as well, concidering how Colin got screwed around by the BBC). There's one for free listening on BBC... four? I think? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pr91q There. He's got a new companion in that one. The ones with Charley were the best, though.

I do like Capaldi and think he will end up being a great Doctor. I'm not totally stuck on Clara though. I liked her in Asylum of the Daleks and The Snowmen but once she was appearing regularly I wasn't too sure. I think the first couple of episodes have seemed to focus a LOT on Clara, like she is the star and The Doctor just the sidekick. I really liked Listen as I think we got to see Capaldi's potential a bit more there.

The whole Missy thing is great. Do you think she is a totally new character or someone we have already seen? I originally thought about Miss Evalgelista (Miss E) Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, with the whole Heaven / Earth simulation things.

• Like 1