Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hallmark's Sappy Sweet Holiday Movies

Lilly

I absolutely despise the Hallmark Channel's holiday movies. The sweety sweet, oh so nicey nice, absolutely nothing like reality movies they produce annoy me to no avail. Some of my friends say these movies make them 'feel good' but not me. In fact, these movies actually make me 'feel bad'.

So, what does everyone here think?

• Like 6

Not sure we get hallmark films over here but I know the type of movie you mean and I feel the same as you do, and I'm sure many others do aswell.

Maybe wouldn't be so bad if they tried making something original but they all just look the same to me.

I find them annoying- and annoying that they start playing them for Halloween. But I also think they are funny, they seem like some sort of penance or purgatory for actors. One of the funniest had Summer Glau as a perky happy elf- made me giggle because she's such a scifi chick.

But most of them aren't all that good, and there's just a bajillion of them.

I rank them only slightly above romantic comedies in terms of generic blandness I wouldn't be caught dead directing. If I really need the money it'll go down as an Alan Smithie film.

They don't annoy me, but then, I don't have any channels that would show these movies. I'll deffinitely be watching 'A Chance of Snow', though, if I can get my hands on it. Craptacular or not, Michael Ontkean is nummy. And regarding 'penance or purgatory', hey, these poor chumps we call actors gotta pay bills, too.

Edited by Sheriff Trumans Donut

I don't hate them, but I don't really watch them either...maybe one or two. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, which is on now, is more my idea of a Christmas movie.

Not a fan of the sappy crappy holiday films...

My favorite christmas films are Bad Santa,Gremlins,and Die Hard lol

I absolutely despise the Hallmark Channel's holiday movies. The sweety sweet, oh so nicey nice, absolutely nothing like reality movies they produce annoy me to no avail. Some of my friends say these movies make them 'feel good' but not me. In fact, these movies actually make me 'feel bad'.

I think... you deserve to be happier. I also am not a fan of over sappified movies. Though occasional a little tugging on the heart strings can be refreshing.

Edit to add I avoid hallmark movies like the plague.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Just to clarify, I don't hate all Christmas/Holiday movies. I actually like the Grinch movie (Jim Carey), White Christmas (Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye), Cast Away (Tom Hanks), Die Hard (Bruce Willis), Gremlins (don't know the lead kid's name), The Santa Clause (Tim Allen), Scrooged (Bill Murrey)...so I'm not totally a miserable 'nasty feminist'.

• Like 1

I love most versions of A Christmas Carol, A Christmas Stor and a nice little one I saw a few years ago on Hallmark - ONCE - it never reappeared: SILENT NIGHT with Terminator star Linda Hamilton.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338434/

It's a very interesting movie set at the end of WWII and she takes two groups of soldiers in hand on Christmas Eve. It really was good.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I don't hate all Christmas/Holiday movies. I actually like the Grinch movie (Jim Carey), White Christmas (Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye), Cast Away (Tom Hanks), Die Hard (Bruce Willis), Gremlins (don't know the lead kid's name), The Santa Clause (Tim Allen), Scrooged (Bill Murrey)...so I'm not totally a miserable 'nasty feminist'.

Lol let's get past the feminist thing. And those movies listed are on my list too

I've noticed that the Hallmark holiday movies come in three basic flavors. Someone isn't really into Christmas but by the end of the movie Christmas has somehow changed their life and the now love it. Or Santa has trouble and needs help to finish Christmas on time. Or it's a contrived love story. Or a combination of those three. It's predictable and ultimately boring. My wife watches them but I usually have to find something to do in another room whenever she does. ^_^

I've noticed that the Hallmark holiday movies come in three basic flavors. Someone isn't really into Christmas but by the end of the movie Christmas has somehow changed their life and the now love it. Or Santa has trouble and needs help to finish Christmas on time. Or it's a contrived love story. Or a combination of those three....

Yep, this is exactly what irritates me about these movies. Also, the 'nicey nice' perfection of the characters just isn't normal. I simply can't watch such stuff and I honestly don't understand why it makes some people happy? Oh well, each to his own I guess.

• Like 1

I like some Christmas movies too. It just ain't the Christmas season till I get to watch White Christmas (the 1954 musical classic) and Santa's Slay (2005 horror). I like the claymation ones too from when I was a kid, but I can take em or leave em.

But I agree with Lilly about the Hallmark movies being too nicely perfect and it isn't normal. But then, so are most Hallmark cards- a little too pat and perfect for every occasion.

*kisses Lilly's feet* :lol:

Thankfully AT&T U-verse doesn't have the Hallmark channel. :wub: But ABC Family is just as bad with them.