Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UK's 'biggest' wetland created

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:40 AM

The UK's largest man-made wetland is being developed with the deliberate breaching of 300m of sea wall.

Created at Wallasea Island, Essex, the 7.5m government project has created a 115-hectare wetland, hailed as one of Europe's most significant.

It aims to replace bird habitats lost to development, improve flood defences, and create leisure opportunities.

Biodiversity Minister Barry Gardiner said it addresses "wildlife, flood management, landscape and people" need.

"Saltmarsh is more rare than rainforest, and is important to people, particularly as a flood and storm defence, and to wildlife, " said Mr Gardiner, of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

'Gradually displaced'

"Hundreds of thousands of wetland birds rely entirely on the Essex saltmarsh for their food each winter.

"Wallasea Wetlands will be a wonderful feeding and roosting habitat for birds like oystercatchers, avocets and little terns, which have been gradually displaced from the area during the last 50 years, as well as creating a haven for other rare wildlife."

He said the wetlands will provide flood defence by taking the energy out of waves as they pass over the area.

"The new sea defences will provide better protection than the old ones, which were in very poor condition."

It is hoped the wetland will also provide for better fish nurseries.

Source

Posted Image

#2    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

sweet grin2.gif every body wins thumbsup.gif

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#3    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

sweet grin2.gif every body wins thumbsup.gif

Just what is this topic about?? explain a lil more if you will? huh.gif and put your thoughts in your own words..thanks

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

removed unnecessary remarks- Dot

ON topic ..

I think that it is a pity that a place like ... Wallasea Wetlands..is the only safe haven for these birds....but at least it is something... It aims to replace bird habitats lost to development, improve flood defences, and create leisure opportunities.
It's high time others stood up and took notice...too many habitats are lost, over the years...look at all the forests..most of them are destroyed by man..some fat walleted richo, comes in and wants to build, yet another mall..a chain of malls...so in order to do that, they will destroy homes for animals and birds...wildlife will die out, slowly...but if more and more people stood up, and done someing about it, like the report posted above...then it would make a difference..not a huge difference...but at least its an effort original.gif

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 04 July 2006 - 06:43 PM.

#5    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

That's good news original.gif The biggest impact will be on seabirds...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#6    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

removed deleted quotes- Dot

No problem but lets not let any pettyness flood over to other forums, it will only result in getting it closed.. lets stay on Topic.  thumbsup.gif

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 04 July 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

#7    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,653 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

lets stay on Topic.  thumbsup.gif

Bingo!

I have never heard of Saltmarsh, but I do know that Canadian wetlands are being destroyed at an alarming rate

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#8    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

Bingo!

I have never heard of Saltmarsh, but I do know that Canadian wetlands are being destroyed at an alarming rate

It is criminal when you see how much we are destroying.. not just here in teh UK or the Canadian Wetlands, the Jungles of South East Asia, the South American Rain forests.. etc..

Anyway here is link about Saltmarshes:

Bit about Saltmarshes

Posted Image

#9    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

That is nice to know. Saltmarshes are very fragile ecosystems and support life for so many different populations of both flora and fauna. Very important habitats, and are integral to the identity of our country!

RKD

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#10    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

It is criminal when you see how much we are destroying.. not just here in teh UK or the Canadian Wetlands, the Jungles of South East Asia, the South American Rain forests.. etc..

Anyway here is link about Saltmarshes:

Bit about Saltmarshes

Its all money...people dont care for animals and birds...they dont give a monkies if these creatures can survive..they dont care for the beauty of the forest/countryside ect...they only care about building more and more unwanted malls and business complexes

Where I used to live, growing up there was a huge feild right behind our home......this feild had beautiful trees...we used to go over and look to see if we could spot some new bird nests....it was fun to play in the feilds....

I paid the place a visit, as we where passing by one night...that feild, those big trees, the bird nests ect..are ALL gone...instead..more homes where built..they crammed in as many homes as possible blink.gif

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,577 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

For those of you in the US...Bob Corker is running for US Senate and I saw him destroy many natural environments and wetlands when he was mayor of Chattanooga. If you value the environment do NOT vote for this self serving idiot that only cares about his fat wallet. disgust.gif

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

For those of you in the US...Bob Corker is running for US Senate and I saw him destroy many natural environments and wetlands when he was mayor of Chattanooga. If you value the environment do NOT vote for this self serving idiot that only cares about his fat wallet. disgust.gif

Amen to that  clap.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users