Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK is well prepared to fight zombie invasion

Still Waters

A zombie invasion is a problem that may seem to belong in a horror film rather than to real life, but, none the less, the British government believes it has worked out the best way to cope with one.

http://www.telegraph...e-invasion.html

The proof I needed that the UK government is run by twelve year old boys who play more Call of Duty then socialize with the opposite sex.

• Like 1

At least they're prepared, people won't have to ask them, "Where were you when the zombie invasion happened?" Because most they would reply, "Carrying out survival method #0100268." L.o.l just saying it's better to plan ahead just in case.

• Like 1

just LOL.

You say that, but it's not impossible for it to happen. The science is there.

Good grief!

Judging by this the invasion of braindead zombies has already happened...

• Like 1

The proof I needed that the UK government is run by twelve year old boys who play more Call of Duty then socialize with the opposite sex.

You needed PROOF?!

I can't see what the problem is in a government protecting its people against the threat of a zombie invasion.

The first duty of any government should be the protection of its people.

I can't see what the problem is in a government protecting its people against the threat of a zombie invasion.

The first duty of any government should be the protection of its people.

I don't see a problem with it either. It just seems silly that they need to tell us. 'Worrying about silly things? Don't worry! We are too!'

• Like 2

I don't see a problem with it either. It just seems silly that they need to tell us. 'Worrying about silly things? Don't worry! We are too!'

You won't think it's silly if it actually happened, especially if the government isn't prepared to fight it.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 2

You won't think it's silly if it actually happened, especially if the government isn't prepared to fight it.

Yes, yes, I get it. If it's needed, whoopie! It's there! Should we also plan for if the Volturi decide to start a war with the humans? Now, it may sound silly, but WHAT IF?!

This government is beginning to lose touch with reality more and more...

There's absolutely no way you can re-animate rotting flesh.

If I was them I would actually look at more possible ways of invasion.

What about all these countries run by tyrannical dictators?

That's a good starting point as any and more plausible.

In fact why don't they have policies which have more relevance.

I don't mind zombies as a whole but you can't have plans drafted up because of fictional monsters.

It makes you think what their next bogeyman is going to be...

I don't blame them, it is fun to scheme on. I always ponder what I'll do if it would happen, and I go as far to think about it (or just stay prepared) in all my surroundings. Edited to add: I stay prepared and legally armed most of where I go, because it's a good thing in this world.

Edited by NikkiAidyn

Giving how cack handed local authority is, seeing that this worst case senario is now been looked at by national level government, I am for some reason not reasurred....

Anyone care to bet that their "expert" knowledge (and that's a term used very loosely!) has probably come from that latest Derren Brown stunt?!!!

• Like 1

You say that, but it's not impossible for it to happen. The science is there.

It totally isn't.

Edited by ad hoc

It totally isn't.

Yes it is. There is 2 well known accounts in nature of "zombies". (that is science)

Rabies also induces a "zombie" like state. (again science) So yes the science is there. Only someone uneducated on the subject would disagree.

That is 3 natural occurrences that are science. So I've proven my point already.

Implement 3 huge factors:

1, Government/military love weaponising natures diseases etc.

2. Not as sinister as the above, but the CDC and other biochemical companies test these things in labs to further understand them etc. If they made 1 mistake and it was released by accident.... (CDC has released stuff before by accident)

3, Diseases etc are proven to evolve and mutate.

Those 3 things prove that the above 3 are credible ways a zombie outbreak could happen.

Very unlikely, but 100% not impossible.

Add on to that Nano technology and where that could go. (already been used by BP) There you go 4 scientific ways that it could happen.

There is actually more ways than that but I can't be bothered going on.

Unless of course you wrongly think a zombie means someone has to die and come back to life? Cause that is only in certain films, comics and books. A zombie is a mindless being, that is all it means and that is possible. (hence the saying "Johny is like a zombie when he watches TV".

My housemates friend works in biochemistry. (I think that's the correct term) So she's done her degree etc and works with this stuff. Guess what her biggest fear is? Zombies.... She actually is scared of it. She won't tell us why, which I find irritating as I love that kind of stuff. (not zombies per say, but mutations etc) When all that face eating and psychotic attacks broke out back in April and carried on until about a month ago, she was actually genuinely scared. Never seen that sort of fear on someones face before.

Anyway the science is pretty simple anyway, turn a human back to a "primal" stage and you have a zombie. It's not even complicated really.

This government is beginning to lose touch with reality more and more...

There's absolutely no way you can re-animate rotting flesh.

If I was them I would actually look at more possible ways of invasion.

What about all these countries run by tyrannical dictators?

That's a good starting point as any and more plausible.

In fact why don't they have policies which have more relevance.

I don't mind zombies as a whole but you can't have plans drafted up because of fictional monsters.

It makes you think what their next bogeyman is going to be...

You watch too many science fiction horror films etc.

Read what I said above, a zombie does not have to be a reanimated corpse.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

As Mr. Shatner would say: "Weird or What?"

• Like 1

Ok, the US has a plan for zombie attack, now the UK... Is there something we are not being told?

I'm thinking that face eating naked dude that was shot and killed a few months back has something to do with all this zombie prepping.

Maybe our collective idea of what a zombie is doesn't match the governments definition...maybe whatever was going on with the face eater is the new "zombie" :0 !!

It could be true...

• Like 1

No. what you actually mean is the ability to imagine how zombies might come about through sci-fi scenarios is there. 'The science' isn't there at all.

The article was about responding to a zombie epidemic a la the scenario in popular culture. so, at its most basic, an infection that causes human beings to lose their higher brain functions and shamble around and try to eat each other, passing on the bug through biting/scratching.

If you mean 'an epidemic that attacks brain functions' can happen, sure, I'm with you. But that could be anything.

Yes it is. There is 2 well known accounts in nature of "zombies". (that is science)

Then name them. if it's fungi causing insects to climb foliage to get them into a spore shedding position, that is huge leaps from taking over human brains and creating the basic scenario above. The difference between brain structure cannot be overstated. I can imagine something could go through several stages of mutations. How it'd become that specialized when it only has one pop at transmission through biting before it's clamped down on or kills us, I don't know... but anyway, well into the realms of speculation.

Rabies also induces a "zombie" like state. (again science) So yes the science is there. Only someone uneducated on the subject would disagree.

This is the closest of your points for me. But rabies doesn't usually cause humans to bite each other, and even if it did, it's very difficult to transmit between humans and would have an extremely low success rate. So again- it could go through several mutations to create a specific behaviour in humans as well as increasing its ability to be transmitted, but... very much speculation.

That is 3 natural occurrences that are science. So I've proven my point already.

You've given one tenuous example, said 'this is science' twice, and claimed you've sealed your argument with three points. I don't think so.

Implement 3 huge factors:

1, Government/military love weaponising natures diseases etc.

Yes, but pure speculation. There's no good reason to think they know how to make a zombie creating virus or are anywhere near it, and it would be astonishing if they'd gotten that far considering all the more basic areas that are being struggled with. Yes, any random thing could get out of there, but that's another matter.

2. Not as sinister as the above, but the CDC and other biochemical companies test these things in labs to further understand them etc. If they made 1 mistake and it was released by accident.... (CDC has released stuff before by accident)

Same as above. Speculation. And something remotely similar to zombism in humans needs to exist for them to be running experiments to understand it.

3, Diseases etc are proven to evolve and mutate.

That's pretty much saying 'stuff happens'

Those 2 things prove that the above 3 are credible ways a zombie outbreak could happen.

Very unlikely, but 100% not impossible.

This I agree with. But the science isn't there. We really don't know how to make it happen, or even close, and there's no good example from nature that I've heard about... but maybe you'll correct me with those two examples.

Add on to that Nano technology and where that could go. (already been used by BP) There you go 4 scientific ways that it could happen.

Complete sci fi speculation.

There is actually more ways than that.

Then name them. Not convinced anything near a biological understanding of how zombism would work exists so far.

Unless of course you wrongly think a zombie means someone has to die and come back to life? Cause that is only in certain films, comics and books. A zombie is a mindless being, that is all it means and that is possible. (hence the saying "Johny is like a zombie when he watches TV".

Indeed, but unless johnny has a way of attacking passers by to infect them with visions of jersey shore I'm not too worried about those vague uses of zombie.

just because we understand the concept of mutation and some of its mechanisms doesn't mean we have a scientific understanding of how a virus/transmittable agent with the properties of Zombism would work. Far from. We're currently struggling with the building blocks that would lead to that kind of knowledge.

Edited by ad hoc
  • Like 1