Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sky lightiung up orange

badbadger

So i was headed South on Interstate 275 in Michigan when part of the sky lit up orange for about a second. My cousin was in the car with me and he saw it too, it freaked us both out a little bit. After the first it happened a few other times in different parts of the sky. It was dark out when this happened. Any ideas to what this could be, or has any one seen anything similar? I'd like to get more information on it. It happened November 6th 2007 around 6pm.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ASOP

• badbadger

• Leahzebelle

• Alan W

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would have said this happened last night my time in PA 10:14PM I would have said yes I saw a VERY LARGE star falling (well I think it was a star) It was so big that my dog (the reason I was out side in the cold) was watching it. It was so bright and as it was falling fast a bright blue then orange lit the sky it was kind of scary. My neighbor who was pulling in his drive way said "Did you see that?" It was a falling star not lighting or a fire work it was cool to see but like I said a little scary never seen one that big.

I know pretty much nothing about Michigan towns and such, but was the light over a highly populated area? I have seen weird flashes and stuff coming from industrial parts of town around me, and it takes me a minute to realize it was a smokestack flaring up or something.

It could have also have been something like a plane's beacons shining through fog or mist. Possibly lightening, but if it was a clear sky, that would rule that out. Could it have been a radio tower with bright lights on it? There's a ton of things that light up portions of the sky, especially over a city, that have nothing to do with the paranormal. I wouldn't worry.

As an afterthought, you could probably call the local police department and find out if there was an reports of unusual lights in the sky that night.

Well I dont know about Michigan either but......where I live its all open farm land and the weather station I called confirmed I saw a falling star well their pretty sure it was a star so the gentalman said. I dont know what you saw but try calling your local news station (weather) and maybe they could help.

Yea it was really cool. My dog sat beside me just following it as it was falling it was really somthing to see my sister says I look up in the sky to much.....I say she should look up more offten she dont know what she's missing. :)

Yea it was really cool. My dog sat beside me just following it as it was falling it was really somthing to see my sister says I look up in the sky to much.....I say she should look up more offten she dont know what she's missing. :)

awww that is very sweet! ^_^

What you saw is called a "bollide". They are meteors that explode fairly high up in the atmosphere. The bollide was orange because it was mostly toward the horizon from your point of view. Just as the sun's light turns orange just as it sets, the thickness of the atmosphere that you are viewing through causes the excessive shift toward the red spectrum. I have seen three bollides in the past ten years or so. The higher in the sky, the bluer the bollide's light will appear.

I had one that was almost blue (about like a welders torch) another was green and finally one that was mostly white. These were all fairly high up in the sky from my vantage point though. You saw a bollide that was much further toward the horizon though, so it took on the orange hue that you saw. Hope this helps!

Well thank you all. First thought that came to my head was it was a bomb, purely in the light of on going events in our country, lightning came to mind after that, and a possible ufo sighting also crossed my mind, but i do believe it was something ordinary now. I hope it was a bollide, because that would be a sight to see. Thanks for the insight. =)

I saw one of those when I was a little kid. ^^ I remember I thought it was aliens come to take me home.

...YES. I was a weird kid.