Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are good deeds valueless if bragged about?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,471 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

if i saved a person from starvation    but then bragged about it...    is the person saved or starved?  

So,  while it might be ill mannered  to brag about a good deed,  the deed itself wouldn't necessarily loose all value?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#17    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,626 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

I'm thinking more people than would like to think have selfish motivations for seemingly selfless acts. Maybe not as obvious as bragging about it but nonetheless for selfishness. There was an experiment done a few years back to see how people respond to certain situations. They got two cars and placed them at busy intersections, looking broken down. At one car, an elderly couple stood looking lost. At the other an equally lost young female blond bombshell.

Who stopped and helped which car? During the course of the experiment, one middle-aged man stopped to help the elderly couple, and that was it. Compare that to the many young men who stopped to help the woman. Each of those young men probably went home thinking "I've just done a good deed", but considering how many equally young men ignored the elderly couple, the fact that the woman was cute and possibly single must have played a part.

How many other good deeds do people do for other selfish reasons? Just thinking aloud :)

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#18    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,548 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 25 December 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

I'm thinking more people than would like to think have selfish motivations for seemingly selfless acts. Maybe not as obvious as bragging about it but nonetheless for selfishness. There was an experiment done a few years back to see how people respond to certain situations. They got two cars and placed them at busy intersections, looking broken down. At one car, an elderly couple stood looking lost. At the other an equally lost young female blond bombshell.

Who stopped and helped which car? During the course of the experiment, one middle-aged man stopped to help the elderly couple, and that was it. Compare that to the many young men who stopped to help the woman. Each of those young men probably went home thinking "I've just done a good deed", but considering how many equally young men ignored the elderly couple, the fact that the woman was cute and possibly single must have played a part.

How many other good deeds do people do for other selfish reasons? Just thinking aloud :)
If you take that route, then in truth all good deeds are selfish. This would be the utilitarian approach. In truth, the man stoping for the elderly couple got some sort of satisfaction out of doing it. Some sort of utility. The rules of utility and economics would consider the man paid in someway for his actions, otherwise he would not have performed it in the first place.

I guess it's what kinds of actions give you utility that determines ones virtue.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#19    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

OK what about Mr. Good Deed who stops traffic to let someone else in.

He conveniences two people, the person he let in and himself so he can feel like a "good guy" but by doing so he inconvenienced everyone else behind him.

What is the karmic balance in this? Does stupidity in doing a good deed diminish the good deed?

#20    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 25 December 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

Oh the "good folk" who will help everyone "they like and approve of".

Even those in their group will claim how "so and so" will go out of their way for others.

But they ignore everyone else or worse, wish them ill will if not part of their group.

Edited by I believe you, 25 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#21    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,626 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 25 December 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

If you take that route, then in truth all good deeds are selfish. This would be the utilitarian approach. In truth, the man stoping for the elderly couple got some sort of satisfaction out of doing it. Some sort of utility. The rules of utility and economics would consider the man paid in someway for his actions, otherwise he would not have performed it in the first place.

I guess it's what kinds of actions give you utility that determines ones virtue.
in one sense you're quite right. Generosity is its own reward, and self-satisfaction is a good motivator for selfless deeds. However, IMO there are other reasons that are indeed "selfish" and also detract from the act - the desire to make oneself more desirable in the eyes of a potential mate, for example, while similar people withholding aide from others because it holds no personal benefit

Don't get me wrong, in one sense, all humans do things for selfish reasons, if there is no "pay off" we don't do it. But my opinion is that deriving satisfaction from a good act is more selfless than desiring some kind of personal outcome from that action.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 26 December 2012 - 12:44 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#22    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,626 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Sorry, my phone is acting strange tonight :blush:

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 December 2012 - 08:27 AM.

Posted Image

#23    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 23 December 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

No rule steadfastly applies in every instance.  Buddha would be the first to also say that a Master knows when to bend and even break the Universal Laws of cause and effect.

If you do it as a plain "braggart" amongst friends to preen and show you are a generous soul, then it does no good.

Many however, do it to encourage and enlist others to also do good - by setting a public example not only to be charitable but to show that to life a full life does not mean you have to be selfish.

The only way a good deed would be recognized as such when the one who received the said deed talks about it.  Charity should be in anyone of us and shouldn't be used as an exemple.  When teaching children about charity, one should use other people and not the self.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#24    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,002 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostParacelse, on 25 December 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

The only way a good deed would be recognized as such when the one who received the said deed talks about it.  Charity should be in anyone of us and shouldn't be used as an exemple.  When teaching children about charity, one should use other people and not the self.
Agreed, when teaching others about charity but I don't see why we should judge those who commit the charitable acts and advertise them either, we don't know their motives.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#25    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 25 December 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Agreed, when teaching others about charity but I don't see why we should judge those who commit the charitable acts and advertise them either, we don't know their motives.
And yet people are bragging about JC Budha and others all the time ;),  Don't you think when teaching children it would be more ethical using others as exemple and at the same time showing the exemple while not talking about the self?  Just an opinion.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#26    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

George Lucas gave all the money he got from the  Star Wars franchise and gave it all to education, that was a buttload of cash, The fact that he would mention it to anyone doesnt take the amount of cash that it was and dimish it. Like it said before just because someone brags about the deed doesnt bring the value of said deed down.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#27    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 25 December 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

George Lucas gave all the money he got from the  Star Wars franchise and gave it all to education, that was a buttload of cash, The fact that he would mention it to anyone doesnt take the amount of cash that it was and dimish it. Like it said before just because someone brags about the deed doesnt bring the value of said deed down.
he could have done anonimously ...

République No.6

#28    nothingliz

nothingliz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

• if it looks like a chicken,smells like a chicken, and even taste like a chicken, don't be discouraged when you find out its a goose.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

To give with love and then brag about it is vanity.  It is then no love done but self-gratification.  Who recieves then the good of what you've done.  Let God then boast of you rather than men.  For if we honor the Father with our sufferings in his time he shall honor us.  But what honor of men shall ye recieve? All the more to boost your ego.  The Angels themselves seek to honor the Father and in honoring the Father they are honored.  So too should we do likewise for the fulfillment of love.

Edited by nothingliz, 26 December 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#29    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

If I give a million dollars towards helping starving kids and feed their belly and change their life then a positive change has been made, regardless if I brag or not, not to mention I fed my ego as well, a win win situation.

If a millionare gives a million to those kids just to say he did or get some gain, it does not change the fact that he changed lives for the better...

#30    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostParacelse, on 25 December 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

he could have done anonimously ...
Well we can go back and forth on this subject forever, But the fact is a lot of money was given to education and whether he brags about it or not theres still going to be a ton of money going to education

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users