Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

[Updated] HMV in administration


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:


Whether disabled or not, its sad when someone loses their job.

"He added all disabled employees affected by the changes will be guaranteed "tailored support" from an 8m package, including a personal case worker, to help them move into mainstream employment."  This is far more than many non disabled people are getting, personally I do not think anyone should be given extra support over the next man when it comes to job loses.....many may disagree with that, but as disable people want to be treated the same as everyone else, and so they should be, then everyone should be offered the same sort of support...if need be.
What an absolute cavalier attitude to take...

You obviously havn't met many disabled people up on your barge.
Don't you realise how hard it is get a job being disabled despite the continuing support?
Who do you honestly think out of all the candidates are going to employed out of disabled or non-disabled?
It's all to do with interview techniques and having the confidence and nerves to handle the procedure.
Non-disabled people are more likely to be accepted because their people skills are better.
I've actually heard stories of ex Remploy workers topping themselves.
It's actually fortunate that these Social Enterprises are starting up.
This is how my ex factory manager describes his former charges on the Social Enterprise Facebook page he has set up..

" Dis-advantaged,dis-affected and dis- connected groups from the local borough".
Those words don't sound like we are equals with non-disabled people.
It's a good thing it's not an other of my ex-workmates replying to this.
Because the retail business is so vast these HMV workers can pick up where they left off.
It's sad of course but we need a sense of perspective here.

Edited by Medium Brown, 16 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,676 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostParacelse, on 16 January 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Virgin music are already filing for bankrupcy in France.. nothing new under the world.  You either adapt like Barnes and Nobles or you go down the drain.  It's a new generation and new technics of retail.  I'm a used book dealer but I will never go brick and mortars.  I get customers from all over the world and kindle is still; no threat to me as most people still enjoy the hard copy pleasure of holding an truly old and valuable book.
I hope you carry on, nothing beats a book. But while i was in France there was a programme about an old Italian book store owner who dealt in rare books, he was losing his business as he could no longer afford the building his shop was in and he would not take his business online, sad, but people have to adapt with the times.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,676 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 16 January 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

What an absolute cavalier attitude to take...

You obviously havn't met many disabled people up on your barge.
Don't you realise how hard it is get a job being disabled despite the continuing support?
Who do you honestly think out of all the candidates are going to employed out of disabled or non-disabled?
It's all to do with interview techniques and having the confidence and nerves to handle the procedure.
Non-disabled people are more likely to be accepted because their people skills are better.
I've actually heard stories of ex Remploy workers topping themselves.
It's actually fortunate that these Social Enterprises are starting up.
This is how my ex factory manager describes his former charges on the Social Enterprise Facebook page he has set up..

" Dis-advantaged,dis-affected and dis- connected groups from the local borough".
Those words don't sound like we are equals with non-disabled people.
It's a good thing it's not an other of my ex-workmates replying to this.
Because the retail business is so vast these HMV workers can pick up where they left off.
It's sad of course but we need a sense of perspective here.
I did say if "need be". Many disabled people are capable of getting work, its those out their who are not willing to employ them who are the problem, but this is changing.
I fully understand where you say about how difficult it is, but it is also getting more and more difficult for others too. I show absolutely no disrespect for anyone who is disabled and see any one who is exactly the same way as anyone else. Everyone should be given the same chance as the next man if capable of doing the job, and I know many disabled people are more capable than others who are not disabled.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#19    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,009 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I applied for a Job in HMV in November and they said they were opening a number of stores here in the South, so question is, why open new stores if you know you are losing money?


#20    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

    Telekinetic

  • Closed
  • 6,628 posts
  • Joined:23 Jan 2009

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I applied for a Job in HMV in November and they said they were opening a number of stores here in the South, so question is, why open new stores if you know you are losing money?

To keep your value up on the stock market; to continue receiving investments (or to boost them) and to prevent a massive exodus of shareholders which in turn keeps the company making money. Valuation is largely based on how others perceive the state of a company or corporation as opposed to the realities on the ground. So, basically, to squeeze every last penny out of the company before it dies.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.


#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,676 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I applied for a Job in HMV in November and they said they were opening a number of stores here in the South, so question is, why open new stores if you know you are losing money?
have you asked them if  you got the job yet?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#22    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostParacelse, on 16 January 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Virgin music are already filing for bankrupcy in France.. nothing new under the world.  You either adapt like Barnes and Nobles or you go down the drain.  It's a new generation and new technics of retail.  I'm a used book dealer but I will never go brick and mortars.  I get customers from all over the world and kindle is still; no threat to me as most people still enjoy the hard copy pleasure of holding an truly old and valuable book.

The really sad thing is that when all its senior management were sitting their business degrees they would have taught to differentiate themselves over competitors and neutralise any threats.

Yet HMV has done nothing about them for 10 years. Bad management.


#23    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,009 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 January 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

have you asked them if  you got the job yet?
No they rang once for a place in a new store in Fareham but have not replied after that.

View PostExpandMyMind, on 16 January 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

To keep your value up on the stock market; to continue receiving investments (or to boost them) and to prevent a massive exodus of shareholders which in turn keeps the company making money. Valuation is largely based on how others perceive the state of a company or corporation as opposed to the realities on the ground. So, basically, to squeeze every last penny out of the company before it dies.
A win-win situation?

Blockbuster has gone into admin too


#24    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,345 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

I never bought anything from HMV due to their prices they over charged the majority of the time. every time i went in to purchase a new release bluray i'd walk in with money in my pocket ready to go into their tills, but when you see for example Avatar priced at 49.99 in store. (no joke) and you come home go on amazon and buy the same product for £18.00, star wars saga HMV price £100,00 Amazon price £52.99 then you can see were their going wrong. this is just one example. but this as happened numerous times. in my view they've priced themselves out of the market. as for HMV online i believe this is run separate so i guess they'll carry on as a online retailer but still their prices cannot match Amazon or Play.com.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#25    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 January 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:


I did say if "need be". Many disabled people are capable of getting work, its those out their who are not willing to employ them who are the problem, but this is changing.
I fully understand where you say about how difficult it is, but it is also getting more and more difficult for others too. I show absolutely no disrespect for anyone who is disabled and see any one who is exactly the same way as anyone else. Everyone should be given the same chance as the next man if capable of doing the job, and I know many disabled people are more capable than others who are not disabled.
Soz. It felt like you were channelling Maria Miler and her sodding Sayce review.

I believe there is quite a few disabled people capable of gainful employment including the deaf contingent.
Even Aspies like me can knuckle down it they follow a set routine and are vastly experienced at their specific task.
However Aspies can't look people in the eye and that partially explains my dithering because I can't handle the fact of rejection.
But because I know the interviewers this is not an obstacle in itself so for once I'm feeling confident and upbeat.

However because this Social Enterprise is an one shot deal and only specialises in doors and windows it's going to put some people at a disadvantage.
You could say I'm getting angry on their behalf and not from a more personal level.
These are ones who can't do heavy lifting and are not even going to get an other chance.
All they can do really are sitting down jobs in a sheltered environment.
I really pity these guys because they won't get a second crack at the whip as well as then losing touch.
Maria Miller said every disabled person could get a job in mainstream employment but she's talking through her backside.
Even a few successes here and there won't lesson the collective annoyance of ex Remploy workers.

Edited by Medium Brown, 16 January 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#26    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,676 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Soz. It felt like you were channelling Maria Miler and her sodding Sayce review.

I believe there is quite a few disabled people capable of gainful employment including the deaf contingent.
Even Aspies like me can knuckle down it they follow a set routine and are vastly experienced at their specific task.
However Aspies can't look people in the eye and that partially explains my dithering because I can't handle the fact of rejection.
But because I know the interviewers this is not an obstacle in itself so for once I'm feeling confident and upbeat.

However because this Social Enterprise is an one shot deal and only specialises in doors and windows it's going to put some people at a disadvantage.
You could say I'm getting angry on their behalf and not from a more personal level.
These are ones who can't do heavy lifting and are not even going to get an other chance.
All they can do really are sitting down jobs in a sheltered environment.
I really pity these guys because they won't get a second crack at the whip as well as then losing touch.
Maria Miller said every disabled person could get a job in mainstream employment but she's talking through her backside.
Even a few successes here and there won't lesson the collective annoyance of ex Remploy workers.
Firstly Maria Miller can kiss my exterior.....she can put that on her expenses sheet!

We live in a society today where people are out numbering jobs and employers are a lot more choosy, , no matter what miller said. there are many employers who are aware of the advantages employing disabled people can give, Many are finding it very hard to find regular employment, but this is down to many different reasons. I broke my back earlier this year and have now lost the only job i have ever known, i am able to walk and  luckily financially I am not dependent on the state, but I fully understand the difficulties many people are facing, disabled or not.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#27    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,009 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 16 January 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I never bought anything from HMV due to their prices they over charged the majority of the time. every time i went in to purchase a new release bluray i'd walk in with money in my pocket ready to go into their tills, but when you see for example Avatar priced at 49.99 in store. (no joke) and you come home go on amazon and buy the same product for £18.00, star wars saga HMV price £100,00 Amazon price £52.99 then you can see were their going wrong. this is just one example. but this as happened numerous times. in my view they've priced themselves out of the market. as for HMV online i believe this is run separate so i guess they'll carry on as a online retailer but still their prices cannot match Amazon or Play.com.
hmmm Avatar was 20 quid and DVDs are usally £10 and blue rays were 25 quid


#28    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,345 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Price on Amazon at the time £30 HMV Price £70. Alien - the Lord of the Rings Trilogy at the time Amazon price 36.99 HMV price £60.00 - Rocky Balboa collection ASDA price £42.99 HMV price £90 Like i said in my post this crazy pricing is in my view is one of the reasons they've gone down the tubes. - they do have good deals but mainly on titles which dont sell well. or their exclusive steelbooks.


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,676 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Suppose the shareholders had to make their money somehow.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,676 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 January 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:



Blockbuster has gone into admin too
Thats no big lose, have been in there a couple of times and there are hardly any staff and customers never reached more than 3...while I was there. Each time i walked in there it seemed i was going back in time, the place was so dated.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users