Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wicca

Hypathia

I just started reading a book by Scott Cunningham called: "Wicca, A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner".

It's pretty interesting so far (I'm only on page 28). I was wondering if anyone here is a practicing Wiccan and if so, how long?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Hypathia

• Moondoggy

• liokee

I spent and year in a Wiccan Coven. It was not my path, I am a Druid.

I gave away my copy of that book, but it is a good one. Scott Cummingham was a great author. I don't remember what was on p. 28?

Edited by Darkwind

Hi Darkwind,

Page 28 - brooms. I like the non-dogmatic approach and the explanation of God and Goddess. Also, I didn't know that Wiccans believed in reincarnation? I'm also reading a book right now called "Old Souls" (I have a bad habit of reading more than one book at a time).

I know next to nothing about Wicca and nothing for sure about a Druid path. I've only heard the phrase a couple of times. -- Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions. :)

How long did it take you to find your way around paganism and earth based religions before you felt comfortable choosing a path?

Did you come across something in Wicca that was scary that caused you to leave or was it more a matter of finding just the right individual nitch for you, within paganism?

What would you say the average age of your coven was? Was it more males than females or about equal?

I started reading up on Wicca when I was 12, and I started my apprenticeship when I was 15 (I'm 30 now). LOVE the Scott Cunningham - he's really the only author I feel is worth his salt. Try not to take everything in the books too literally though - Wicca is more about what feels right to you, rather than what some book tells you to do. Most books are just to give you the basics and what's worked for other people, but what works for you isn't always in a book. That's the main reason why I ran screaming from my Catholic upbringing... ;)

I started reading up on Wicca when I was 12, and I started my apprenticeship when I was 15 (I'm 30 now). LOVE the Scott Cunningham - he's really the only author I feel is worth his salt. Try not to take everything in the books too literally though - Wicca is more about what feels right to you, rather than what some book tells you to do. Most books are just to give you the basics and what's worked for other people, but what works for you isn't always in a book. That's the main reason why I ran screaming from my Catholic upbringing... ;)

What do you mean by apprenticeship? Did you find older people to train you on the basics, kind of a "sunday school" for wiccans? I did skim thru another Scott Cunningham book on crystals about a year ago; that one belongs to my daughter-in-law. When I saw this book I recognized the name; glad to know I picked a good author to read.

Was it hard to find other people to "fellowship" with and is this a religion you feel you have to practice discretely or are you pretty open about it?

I'm an ex-Christian too; fundamentalist/evangelical. My daughter-in-law is Catholic/new age...very laid back.

Edited by Hypathia

I am not a follower of the Wiccan path,for I too am a Druid.

Yet I do know many who are Wiccan,and enjoy hanging out with them.Most of those I know are very wonderful people,but there are a few who got into it to be a rebel,or are currently in it looking for their own niche in life.

I had read a couple of Cunningham's books some years ago,and I too think he was a wonderful writer.What he wrote about really wasn't my "cup of tea",so to speak,but it was still very interesting.

Hi Darkwind,

Page 28 - brooms. I like the non-dogmatic approach and the explanation of God and Goddess. Also, I didn't know that Wiccans believed in reincarnation? I'm also reading a book right now called "Old Souls" (I have a bad habit of reading more than one book at a time).

Iknow next to nothing about Wicca and nothing for sure about a Druid path. I've only heard the phrase a couple of times. -- Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions. :)

How long did it take you to find your way around paganism and earth based religions before you felt comfortable choosing a path?

About half of my life. I was side tracked in my youth. You might say I had an encounter with Tree. You become a Pagan generally before you know you are a Pagan. It is a comfort to know you’re not crazy after all.

Did you come across something in Wicca that was scary that caused you to leave or was it more a matter of finding just the right individual nitch for you, within paganism?

It is complicated. I am polytheistic and Wicca deep down in it core is monotheistic. Never take joining a coven lightly. Let just say there were two people who had different goals than the rest of us. As far as anything scaring me, nothing scares me, unless you have been drinking tequila and have a gun. That would scare me.

What would you say the average age of your coven was? Was it more males than females or about equal?

The ages were from 26-58+. It was balanced males = females. But that is not the norm. Usually women out number men. :)

What do you mean by apprenticeship? Did you find older people to train you on the basics, kind of a "sunday school" for wiccans?

Was it hard to find other people to "fellowship" with and is this a religion you feel you have to practice discretely or are you pretty open about it?

When I felt I was ready to convert, I went to my cousin (a practitioner of Wicca, though a different sect than I ended up practicing) and asked her to teach me. Generally, people apprentice with a coven - much like if you were thinking about switching to another religion, you would have to go to classes. My apprenticeship wasn't with a coven, as my cousin was a solitary, but that suited me as I was studying to become a solitary, too. Much like in the Catholic church, I felt there were people at the WCC gatherings that were just there for show, and this frustrates me and makes it hard for me to concentrate.

If I hadn't had my cousin to help me, I would have had to go to the WCC to find someone who thought of Wicca as a religion and not just a mark of status or a way to scare people. I don't know where you are, Hypathia, but here in Canada, the Wiccan Church of Canada is a recognized religious group, with all the rights of one. Therefore, there are WCC buildings and gatherings that any and all are welcome to attend.

I don't feel that I have to hide my religion, although historically speaking we've been told not to broadcast or advertise it. The new thought seems to be that if we are proud of our religion and not afraid to discuss it and educate people, we can be sure that at least some people understand that we're not "witches" with pointed hats that will cast spells on you or eat your children (I also don't have any warts on my nose!). I generally tell people when they ask about my altar that I just put a little more theatre into my prayer than they do - and the altar and it's assorted goods are just "prayer props". :-) That generally tends to calm them down... until they start asking about love spells... :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a pagan all of my life. I really didn't figure it out though until about 13. So, I have been practicing for about half my life. The things I do, and the rituals I perform most people would say that I am a Wiccan. But, I have a little trouble with that title. I don't want to be part of ANY religion. Even though Wicca is very versitile, and includes A LOT of different beliefs, there is something in me that says your path is not paved by any clear road, in fact it isn't paved at all! In order to do good work, and to learn the most, do not box yourself in. I LIKE the fact that I can't just go to some book and get all the answers I need. I observe the God and Goddess, because it makes sense to me that you would have The One, the Ultimate, The Creator, The Universe as whole or whatever you want to call it. Then from that there is two incarnations of that universal idea, the male and female. But the God and Goddess can be found in ALL the cultures of the world, all having different properties, and ruling over different aspects of human life.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, so I'm just going to stop here....

Likewise I am Pagan, my own personal spiritual path wanders thru and picks up elements from various beliefs under the wide Pagan banner/umbrella, be they Wicca, Druidism etc. - after all these are convenient labels.

I guess generally I would consider myself to be Wiccan in spirit, even though I cannot claim to be a practising Wiccan.

• 1 month later...

I have been Wiccan for about 1 year and I have not been in a clearer state of mind. Be sure to pick up a copy of a book of wiccan prayers and also wiccan spells and incantations.

Did you find older people to train you on the basics, kind of a "sunday school" for wiccans?

Wonderful. A dry sense of humor. :)

I considered it. I'm not into praying towards any deity however. To me Wicca just seems like a newer aged interpretation of older practices. I'm still trying to find the truth, and I'll probably keep seeking my entire life. I think the answer lies somewhere buried in my mind. I just have to find the key to unlock it.

I had a dream, and the keys seem to be three in nature. Something about opening the gate of Babylon. The clues constantly come to me in my dreams, and altered states of conciousness. It sounds strange, but lately it seems like there's some group trying to make contact with me... The number 3 is always coming up somewhere, and the triangles too... Then again, I could just be a paranoid schizophrenic who on a downward hill towards insanity.

Not to mention, I'd also have to have split personalities, because I don't remember me putting those things in my room in those strange formations. Either that or a stalker is constantly breaking into my room, going invisible and moving them right under my nose.

Edited by Opus Magnus

i studied it when i was a teenager, but i'm not the most spiritual person in the world and i don't practice. so i just consider myself a pagan.

I was hangin out with a bunch of the Wiccans and they liked me a lot. But I accidently burned down a forest after my water bong exploded and then they thought it would be better if I became a christian instead. Go figure.

I was hangin out with a bunch of the Wiccans and they liked me a lot. But I accidently burned down a forest after my water bong exploded and then they thought it would be better if I became a christian instead. Go figure.

You burned down a forest with a water bong???! :huh: Some how I can't picture that. Just because you're an air head is no reason to label you as a christian. Stuff happens. To be Pagan means to follow your heart.

I passed on Wicca, I was in a coven for a year too much dogma for me.

Edited by Darkwind

It was loaded with 151 rum instead of water. The Chicks were doing a ritual naked (1970's era), I got distracted and dropped the bong and somehow it lit some dry leaves and then a some pine trees. I did 5 years of tree planting for that one.

It was loaded with 151 rum instead of water. The Chicks were doing a ritual naked (1970's era), I got distracted and dropped the bong and somehow it lit some dry leaves and then a some pine trees. I did 5 years of tree planting for that one.

I understand, sounds like something I could have done. Drinking, naked women, and fire are not a good mix, :D A lesson to us all don't us 151 in your bong.

I actually found the wiccan people to be very nice. Not the witchy stuff that I think people say about them.

If anyone is interested, I've made a little page that's a "required reading" list for Pagans/Wiccans and those interested in Paganism/Wicca. It's still unfinished as I keep getting distracted with other projects, but so far it has a decent selection. If anyone has any ideas on other books to add, let me know.

http://pagan.lackofoxygen.net/reading.html