Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

paranormal activity films

datadabbler

film papranormal activity, and paranormal activity 2, watched, 3 tonight at the cinema, but i dont think 3 relates to 1 and 2 does it,?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• Mike G

• datadabbler

• sam12six

3 is a prequel to 1 and 2. Saw it a few days ago was pretty decent. Although most people would disagree xD

hiya stonecold, ive heard good and bad, mostly good tho, cheers

Mike when you watch them don't think Hollywood movie think hi def home movie and you may be surprised how you'll take it. Most importantly think Indie film not Hollywood template.

I was actually a fan of the first and second one... and rest assure that there will be a 4th because we still dont know what happened with Katie and the Baby...

The 3rd one was junk, it was full of holes and very inconsistant with the story line.

Mike when you watch them don't think Hollywood movie think hi def home movie and you may be surprised how you'll take it. Most importantly think Indie film not Hollywood template.

Seems reasonable. Once they are all on DVD I'll marathon it. Thanks!

I grabbed a cam version of PA 3 off a torrent site a couple of nights ago. It's ok...I still like number one better.

Was genuinely creeped out and intrigued by 1 and 2. 3 was somewhat disappointed; I was hoping for an entire explanation, and it offered a small glimpse of one, but it was disappointed and in reality didn't explain much. Shame, because I did enjoy the first two.

I think 4 will answer all the questions left to us.

I think 4 will answer all the questions left to us.

I've only seen the first Paranormal Activity movie so far, so I can only comment on that one. My biggest complaint by far with this movie was it's story. Specifically, the lack thereof. It seemed like they either tried really hard to BS a backstory then gave up, or just didn't care to begin with. Now, I would have been fine if the film never had had any trace of a plot, and would have accepted it as an excellent example of a well-done empty thrill-fest, but then the filmmakers started to explore the character's pasts and reveal vague elements of a backstory... In the end, it did nothing but to make the audience ask questions the film never intended to answer. The film was a plot-tease.

That being said, I enjoyed watching the movie. It kept me in suspense all throughout, and I was right with the rest of the theatre, in laughter during the light, funny parts, and in fright when the scares came up.

I hope PA 2 and 3 learned from the mistakes of the first and improved upon it's good points.

The only Paranormal Activity film that I liked was the original cut. The theatrical cut was absolutely awful, the second was hilariously bad so it had that going for it, but I'm not even going to bother with the third.

Only watched 1 and 2 for the first time this week, Paranormal Activity wasnt too bad. But 2 freaked me out big time. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to watching Paranormal Activity last night and I didn't enjoy it in the slightest. Which I'm pretty sad about as I'd heard good things! So, question: Is it worth me checking out the 2nd if I didn't like the first?

• 1 month later...

I will try to remain calm as I express my opinion on these pile of crap movies.

The ONLY creative thing about these movies is a good marketing campaign. THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS!

The first one is slow and not at all suspenseful. I have no problem with slow movies with little action as long as there is actual suspense. This movie had NONE!

The second one was a bit better, too many predictable jump scares and the addition of some stupid plot that makes the movies less universal in a way that it can no longer happen to anyone....they had to name a specific cause for said activity.

The third was by far the best, had some decent scares, yet the ending was stupid and there were plot holes you could drive a truck through, not to mention that 90% of the footage in the trailers was NOT in the theatrical version.

I admit I might be biased as this franchise caused my beloved Saw series to come to a horrible, screeching hault when we should have had 8 movies...but really upon reflection and an honest attempt to enjoy these movies, I have found that they suck.

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't seen the third one yet but i will very soon. I think it comes out on DVD and Blue ray the 24th? i really enjoyed the first two though. I think that 1 was the best. What i like about movies like this is that they can scare you without grotesque and gory scenes, without scantily clad college kids, and without dazzling special effects( although i do like special effects). They are just plain spooky. Even though it is getting a little overdone now i have always like the looking through a camera view too. looks like mixed reviews of the 3rd on on here but i can't wait to see it!

• 1 month later...

To my cinematic taste, a movie either has to have action or a plot - eye candy or brain candy.

When a movie causes a viewer watching a 5 minute scene to wonder, "Did something move very, very, very slightly, or was that the camera focusing?", that scene is boring. When the movie is comprised almost purely of such boring scenes sandwiched between scenes of bad actors pretending to freak out, it's a crap movie.

This applies to PA1 and 2 (though in fairness, 2 had much more action thanks to an oscillating fan and a pool cleaning robot).

PA3 falls victim to the same issue lots of sequels do - the "Did you even watch the first movie before making this one?" syndrome. Kinda like how Poltergeist was this awesome movie where faceless but powerful spirits terrorizes a family but the sequels are all about a humming dork of a ghost who had nothing to do with the first one.

I'll admit that my opinions are biased - I just don't like the "this tape was the only evidence of what happened that fateful weekend" movies.

I blame The Blair Witch Project for showing cheapskate producers an inexpensive way to make money without worrying about details like storylines or quality acting. Blair Witch people, I'll find you and force you to watch all the movies your piece of drivel inspired until you beg for death - you've been warned!!

Saw the first one and liked it just fine. However, I'm not watching the second and third because now they're just milking it for all it's worth...

All of the paranormal tv shows ruined the experience of PA1 for me. Being an unbelieving skeptic, I saw just another tv show. Marketed and shot to look "real" and "amateur" was the icing on the cake. The intended effect of the movie was lost on me after all the "real" "amateur" tv ghost series and seemed silly instead of scary. Had it been marketed and filmed differently, it may have had a different effect on me, but can't say if it actually had any potential as I watched it with such skepticism.

I have no interest in seeing the movies. Especially since reading everyone's comments about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've Only Seen Paranormal Activity 1 .. That Was Enough For Me .. My Friend Is Trying To Talk Me Into Watching 2 And 3 But No Way .. I Have Enough Stress In My Life As It Is .. Lol ..

I Usually Don't Have Problems Watching Movies Like That, But The Part Where The Girl Stands For Hours Next To The Bed And Stares At Her Boyfriend While He's Sleeping Was Pretty Disturbing ..

Btw, Is She Still On The Loose?? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Katie and baby Hunter are still "missing".

I don't know...I liked all three because I liked the story of the two sisters and what was chasing them throughout their life, and how it wreaked havoc on their families (any man should STAY AWAY from these sisters!! lol) 1, 2 & 3 are all related and you do need to watch them in order. I enjoyed this series and I will watch #4 to see what happens with Katie and Hunter. Now I have to say these movies were NOT scary to me at all, but I do love paranormal stories of footsteps, sounds, being dragged by unseen things, etc so this was a good one for me. I'd much rather see that then violence and gore, but that's just me. I think it's either a love it or hate it type of thing. But if you go to watch it and expect something amazing and scary (due to all the hype) you'll probably be disappointed..

A rule I always try to follow with movies - DON'T listen to all the hype - it will never live up to your expectations. Go in with an open mind and no expectations. I've learned this the hard way. I think some people that hated it expected too much, perhaps? *shrug*