Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

back to basics: what is God?

BIyphe

I didn't see a new member section so my first post will be here...

Responses to this post will tell me a lot about you and your point in your journey.

What is your definition of the word God?

Very often a discussion breaks down because participants are using different definitions of the word God.

I will attempt to explain my definition of the word and then open the floor to anyone who wishes to give their definition.

The working definition I have of God is this: God is the totality of all that is, i.e., the totality of all that exists. This is the definition I use for discussion.

In truth, I leave the word God undefined but one can get an intuitive grasp on what I, at least, mean when I use the word God. The working definition is really a fact about God, in my mind, and not the definition of God. That’s why I call it a working definition.

As background, I will refer to a psychological state called the flow. People who do sports know this as being in “the zone.”

The direct link to the wiki article on the flow is here:

wiki article on the flow

How I arrive at the notion that the word God is indefinable I will begin to illustrate in Socratic fashion by asking a question:

What is the source of the flow?

The flow is analogous to the flow of the water cycle:

IPB Image\

Any part of the cycle designated as the source of it all is necessarily selected arbitrarily. In other words, the source of the flow of water is indefinable.

To answer the question, the source is undefined. The fluid that is flowing is consciousness itself and God is the source of that fluid. Therefore, God is undefined.

What I’ve done is equate God to the source of the fluid that flows in the state called the flow. Since the source is undefined, God is likewise undefined.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BIyphe

• Omnaka

• Cadetak

• TheOsirian

Welcome to UM BIyphe! Enjoy your stay here in the asylum :)

Your definition is informative and well thought out. My own is similiar: We are all part of the creator, splinters of god, as it were.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Some how i'm on the earth and i just dont get it. Suddenly there is aid "but" why such a rough start? This is an unexplained mystery. :hmm:

Welcome to UM BIyphe! Enjoy your stay here in the asylum :)

Your definition is informative and well thought out. My own is similiar: We are all part of the creator, splinters of god, as it were.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Thank you very much.

Your view is reminiscant of the tree of life. Or Spinoza: there is ONE substance. We are indeed all splinters of the tree, ONE tree.

Cheers

BIyphe

Some how i'm on the earth and i just dont get it. Suddenly there is aid "but" why such a rough start? This is an unexplained mystery. :hmm:

Nowhere in the LAW shall it say divinity is corruptible!

Did i harm the tree?

Why do i have to be #6 i want to be #7

I loved that tree and now i think i'm the man of sin.

Edited by Spoken into Blackness

I just want to point out that I'm not looking to argue definitions... I mainly want to get a feel for where you're coming from in terms of future discussions.

If a being or beings created the universe, then I lable them as "Gods".

So, you're basically defining God(s) to be whatever force [for want of better term] created this universe?

Just clarifying.

God is the Creator of the Universe. He is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent.

Nowhere in the LAW shall it say divinity is corruptible!

That's something I can agree with.

I am curious as to what you meant by this:

Some how i'm on the earth and i just dont get it. Suddenly there is aid "but" why such a rough start? This is an unexplained mystery.

Could you please elaborate and/or rephrase what you're getting at?

God is the Creator of the Universe. He is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent.

Fair enough.

I'm leery of entering a debate in a thread about the definition of God, but I do have a question.

What if the universe did not have a creator, that it always has existed albeit in radically different formations a long time ago? I personally have no idea if this is the case so perhaps you'll say the question is too hypothetical to be answered.

Cheers

BIyphe

PS: you've got an interesting name IamsSon!

God is a self aware and self motivated independent entity, capable of the physical manipulation of matter, time and space. Humans tend to see and grasp only a small fraction of this entity, relevant to their physical and spiritual connection to him. While some people only have an "intellectual" conception of god, all those who share a real relationship with him see true but different aspects of him; which has contributed to a lot of confusion and angst in the world. God has been around since long before human existence, and most if not all, of the worlds religions, past and present grew from people who had an actual encounter with "him". This includes animists and pagans right through to those who those who see a sort of ET type of god (Scientologists?) This entity is basically benevolent, and this is a good yardstick to determine if physical effects on the earth are truly god's work or those of believers (who may not have either a correct or a full appreciation of the nature of god) Most of the bad things can clearly be seen to be the work of such believers, while most of the good things, miracles etc., are direct manifestations of god's will. God does not normally effect the natural workings of the earth or its people without "good" reasons.

Good topic by the way.

God is a self aware and self motivated independent entity, capable of the physical manipulation of matter, time and space. Humans tend to see and grasp only a small fraction of this entity, relevant to their physical and spiritual connection to him. While some people only have an "intellectual" conception of god, all those who share a real relationship with him see true but different aspects of him; which has contributed to a lot of confusion and angst in the world. God has been around since long before human existence, and most if not all, of the worlds religions, past and present grew from people who had an actual encounter with "him". This includes animists and pagans right through to those who those who see a sort of ET type of god (Scientologists?) This entity is basically benevolent, and this is a good yardstick to determine if physical effects on the earth are truly god's work or those of believers (who may not have either a correct or a full appreciation of the nature of god) Most of the bad things can clearly be seen to be the work of such believers, while most of the good things, miracles etc., are direct manifestations of god's will. God does not normally effect the natural workings of the earth or its people without "good" reasons.

Good topic by the way.

I find myself in agreement with most or all of what you have written here, Mr Walker. Thank you for your participation.

Cheers

BIyphe

Everything - and to a slight degree, including the forces of darkness. That implies that even God is trying to better itself - just like us. God cannot be everywhere if a sliver of darkness doesn't inhabit God.

...but we're not ready for that kind of heresy just yet.

Everything - and to a slight degree, including the forces of darkness. That implies that even God is trying to better itself - just like us. God cannot be everywhere if a sliver of darkness doesn't inhabit God.

...but we're not ready for that kind of heresy just yet.

If God is the totality of all that exists, then that totality includes what some humans view to be dark forces.

If God is the source of the flow [see wiki article above], when the flow is used for what some humans consider to be dark ends, then God is involved in that darkness.

As far as heresy goes, this definition is not one I'm familiar with in the Christian paradigm and, therefore, already is as heretical as suggesting the heliocentricity of the solar system.

Mixing God and evil in the same breath is not necessarily heresy though:

Isaiah 45:7 (King James Version)

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Whatever "light" means and "darkness" means, if light is the fluid that flows in the psychological state called the flow, then my definition is even Biblically supported: God is the source of light and darkness. That's only if light is consciouness and darkness is unconsciousness. On the other hand, if light refers to good and dark is evil, we're talking about something different. To me, light refers to being awake and awake means conscious, rather than good [although I suppose it is good to be awake].

Trying to define something that symbolizes all & nothing - including giving this idea a name. Ok, I'll play...The word, God - a word with slanged use, most often utilized as a well known word that's tied to identifying the deity of the Christian faith - the Father, describing Him as an old man with omnipotent power - depicted in many mosaics all across Europe, both in churches & art history books...Another fair observation is how many portray this God as male, kinda amusing yet disturbing for the fems out there that notice that subtle propagation.

Trying to define something that symbolizes all & nothing - including giving this idea a name. Ok, I'll play...The word, God - a word with slanged use, most often utilized as a well known word that's tied to identifying the deity of the Christian faith - the Father, describing Him as an old man with omnipotent power - depicted in many mosaics all across Europe, both in churches & art history books...Another fair observation is how many portray this God as male, kinda amusing yet disturbing for the fems out there that notice that subtle propagation.

Indeed, but what is your definition of the word God?

Indeed, but what is your definition of the word God?

I thought I just mentioned that. You're using that word again, which is heavily associated to the Christian religion - you ask for my definition of God, I just posted that.

God is the creation of the yearning for oneness caused by the sense of separation from the collective consciousness through the use of language.

Edited by truethat

I thought I just mentioned that. You're using that word again, which is heavily associated to the Christian religion - you ask for my definition of God, I just posted that.

So your definition of God is the same as it is defined in the Christian religion?

Trying to extract from that your definition of God...

Is this it:

God is the creation of the yearning for oneness caused by the sense of separation from the collective consciousness through the use of language.

?

So your definition of God is the same as it is defined in the Christian religion?

More or less, it's because of the word's association with Christianity that I define it the way I do...But if I decide to answer where I believe you're getting at, then the word -God- is not necessarily the appropriate word to use. What word can truly describe an omnipotent presence that's vast & infinite, limited only by the measure of one's imagination?

More or less, it's because of the word's association with Christianity that I define it the way I do...But if I decide to answer where I believe you're getting at, then the word -God- is not necessarily the appropriate word to use. What word can truly describe an omnipotent presence that's vast & infinite, limited only by the measure of one's imagination?

The word ultimate comes to mind but I believe what you're saying is that no word is a sufficient descriptor. That seems to me to be a cousin of the idea that God is indefinable which is the idea expressed in the original post. So I think we agree.

A lot of people are not 'comfortable' with the thought that they themselves are in charge of there own destiny.

When we are children, we have our parents to look after us. They are people that we look up too & go to when we need help or support. When we grow up & no longer have our parents around, a lot of people still need the emotional 'crutch' of someone they can turn too & ask for help, this is why people prey & ask for help to some invisible greater being:-God, in the hope that he will 'make it better'.

My personal oppinion is that life is a 'one shot' deal, &, we live life to the full.

The concept of spending the rest of eternity in heaven is a ludicous idea. Unless there is a first class theme park with no queues up there, spending the rest of eternity doing the same thing day after day is going to get pretty boring pretty soon.

Iam a firm believer in self accountability, and creating our own but Heavenly Father and Mother are the ones who created this theme park for us to experience our spirits desire , Good Bad and ugly , Hopfully we out of this experience , we can decide who we are as individual Spirit.

Heavenly Father and Mother are the Eternal Spirits that have Made our eternal Spirit out of their Love , So God is our Heavenly Parents who love us no matter what we choose and they hope it brings us happiness, But reguardless of what we choose as children of God , they Mother and father Will love us and hope we find the love down here we are looking to experience.

The ability to Love with the capacity to Forgive,k Can only be learned down here.

Love Omnaka