Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cartoon Protesters Direct Anger at U.S.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

It's not a lot different to people on y'alls side of the pond refering to all us 'yanks'. Southerners don't particularly like being called a 'yank'. I don't git my pannies in a bunch over it tho.

I must admit, I've never heard anyone in Scotland call the Americans yanks. I think its something that for the most part is limited to movies huh.gif

In the UK a really offensive word against Scots is Jock, its to Scots what N*****r is to black people. Although when Grand Theft Auto: SA came out and the black characters kept calling each other the N-word, it sparked a fad among a lot of younger Scottish people I know who started using Jock as a slang term to refer to each other, just as the black characters in GTA used the N-word.......... thankfully that fad died out quick wacko.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,441 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

I've heard people on UM call Americans yanks, but pffft, who cares. hmm.gif

I've never heard Scots being called a Jock. Learn something new every day. huh.gif

#18    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

I've heard people on UM call Americans yanks, but pffft, who cares.  

Hmm, oh well, if it makes you feel better they are not the majority, most people just use American... although technically is that correct since the US is not the only American country? huh.gif Ah oh well, the Canadians, Brazilians, Chileans, Mexicans etc don't seem to mind, so I doubt it matters.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#19    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,441 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:40 AM

tongue.gif I don't think most people think that England is all of the UK either. I, myself, try to refer to each country individually. Everybody has their pet peeves and that's yours.

I don't call myself an American, but that was along the same line as people that call us yanks so I threw that in there.

Out of curiosity, what do you call people from the US?

We're are gettin way off topic, by the way. innocent.gif

#20    zukie&jim

zukie&jim

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

• nothing PC about a sidwinder exploding in a hot tail pipe !

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:49 AM

all this time i thought china was the leader of the NWO ?--LOL

#21    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

the United States "is the leader of Europe and the leading infidel in the world,"

Woohoo...at least someone will finally give us credit for something...If we are the leader of Europe, can I call dibs on becoming mayor of Venice...it seems like a nice place...

Does that mean that all of Europe has to start paying taxes?

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#22    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,235 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

I call em Yanks.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#23    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:17 AM

Americans. grin2.gif

#24    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:44 AM

Americans. grin2.gif

That apply to Bush as well? wink2.gif

America are not involved this time and the the morons just can't quite believe it. So they want to start a fight with everyone and have made this incredibly LAME excuse to spout even more of their tripe.

You have to laugh though...since when was America part of Europe? Did you lot secretly come over here in the middle of the night and set anchor or something?  laugh.gif
If anyone is the leader of Europe its the UK along with France and Germany.

Do you think they are just rioting and screaming now just for the sake of it?

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#25    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

Do you think they are just rioting and screaming now just for the sake of it?

In a word. Yes

#26    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:54 PM

CODE

well, i refer to them has USA citizens, or a word whit a dificult translation, "Estadounidenses", but that can also be used for the people of the United States of Brazil. innocent.gif

I am american, and i am not a USA citizen.

Im an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#27    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

I've heard people on UM call Americans yanks, but pffft, who cares. hmm.gif

I've never heard Scots being called a Jock. Learn something new every day. huh.gif

The only time I've heard this is from the Disney cartoon Lady and the Tramp, where the Scottish Terrier is called "Jock".  A little disturbing, I suppose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users