Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buzzword in Georgia: evolution

Nxt2Hvn

Last week, the Georgia Department of Education advanced a proposal that would eliminate the word "evolution" from the state's science curriculum. Instead, the word's definition would replace it, "slow change over time." State superintendent Kathy Cox claims that students take in the "buzzword", as she called it, and would be discouraged from reading the state biology curriculum. But Georgia is harping on a 150-year-old issue, and is bringing only ridicule and a shadow of inferiority on its education system.

Full Story

I am sure this will open another can of worms... but in my opinion... if they can take prayer out of school and pull the Ten Commandments from public areas... why not take evolution out of science curriculum...? thumbsup.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• Stamford

• <bleeding_heart>

• babyforrest

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, I don't (as a rule) get into these type of threads, but are you kidding?

I know that for some people evolution is a dirty word, but please tell me what you think American kids should be tought? disgust.gif

I know that for some people evolution is a dirty word, but please tell me what you think American kids should be tought? disgust.gif

Facts... Not theories! thumbsup.gif

If they cannot be taught what the bible says which is controversial...

Christian kids should not be forced to learn "Darwin's Theory"... or evolution either...

They should stick to teaching facts only!

(Personally.. I don't see why they don't continue to teach both... but I also believe that if they take out teaching what the bible says ... they should also take out evolution... I mean what's fair is fair...)

See .. we can be eccentric too! thumbsup.gif

"Evolution" is a scientific fact. How can anyone dispute that? You can see how bones and bodies changed over time in all animals with fossils. Seriously is this a joke? blink.gif

Is this the state that was supposed to be changing the definition of Pi to 3 or something to tie in with biblical teaching?

Is this the state that was supposed to be changing the definition of Pi to 3 or something to tie in with biblical teaching?

Oh come on! Please tell me that one's a joke!

"Evolution" is a scientific fact. How can anyone dispute that? You can see how bones and bodies changed over time in all animals with fossils. Seriously is this a joke? blink.gif

"Evolution" in many senses can be well .. kind a factual... but "Darwin's Theory" .. is just that ... a THEORY!

I did not come from a monkey... or any other primate... there is no proof of that theory.

Okay.. if they want to get technical.. teach on the facts of "evolution"... but not the "Theories"!

dunno I just heard that one state in the US was supposed to be doing!

Sorry, but Darwin's theory is pretty well proven.

Can you tell me, do you belive in the whole Adam and Eve thing then?

I.E. that Eve was one of Adam's ribs, etc?

Sorry, but Darwin's theory is pretty well proven.

Can you tell me, do you belive in the whole Adam and Eve thing then?

I.E. that Eve was one of Adam's ribs, etc?

Yes I DO!!

But they can't teach that in school either!

If an athiest doesn't want his/her child to learn what the bible teaches... for instance the we come from Adam and Eve.

I don't think a Christians child should be forced to learn Darwin'd THEORY!

And NO... Darwin's Theory is NOT pretty well proven!

THEORY! THEORY! THEORY! thumbsup.gif

Just like non- believers feel about the bible!

My point is... if athiest children do not HAVE to learn Adam and Eve... Christian children should not be forced to learn Darwin's Theory!

Ok, so if I can get this straight you belive that Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden, etc, etc.

There is no such thing as evolution, we are as God made us, as are all the other animals, insects, etc?

God made the Earth in six days and rested on the 7th?

Lots of theories are tought in school. Such as "the Earth's core is made of nickel". And atomic theories. And basically anything that hasn't been disproven yet.

I didn't really want to get into this, but it is possible to in both evolution and the bible. The way I was taught about evolution in high school was this: God created Adam and Eve, but who said that Adam and Eve looked exactly like we do now? Adam and Eve could simply have been the first humans to stand on our hind legs and walk erect. Adam and Eve could have been what we call Australopithicus. (And no, I did not go to a religious school. My teacher and classmates believed in God.)

"The Origin of Darwin speaks of 'an ennobling belief in God' as important for human evolution."

Full Article

Teach both !

Ok, so if I can get this straight you belive that Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden, etc, etc.

There is no such thing as evolution, we are as God made us, as are all the other animals, insects, etc?

God made the Earth in six days and rested on the 7th?

YES YES YES and YES rolleyes.gif

I understand all of that is hard for you to believe! -

But I will believe what I want and you believe what you want! thumbsup.gif

anyway......

That is not what this thread is about!

I am not trying to prove anything... and neither can you! cool.gif

I am just saying that if Christian kids are subjected / forced to learn "Evolution/Darwin's Theory"..... then Athiest kids should also have to be subjected to Christian belief of Creation!

And Exactly Bleeding_Heart!! I agree Teach Both!

Like I said .. What is fair... is fair!

I get your point.

But all I am trying to ascertain is your actual beliefs!!

I guess you are what is know as a fundamentalist then?

Can you just explain this one thing to me, please be gentle I am not as evolved as you - DINOSAURS!!!!!!!

I don't remember them ever cropping up in the Bible, do you?

Now if Adam and Eve turned up in the same week as everything else, you'd think that they might have popped that in the good book, wouldn't you?

Something along the lines of:

"They were eaten by a large Dinosaur. The End."

Okay, cheap shot!

Look, you can have your faith, we both live in Democracies (apparently), but from looking at your many threads, you seem slightly obsessed with religion and school.

Actually I do remember something about dinosaurs in the bible. They weren't called dinosaurs, though. I think they were called dragons and were described as having with tails like tree trunks. I don't remember much more.

Since you have been looking into my past posts... check out my topics on "The Gap Theory".... of course in all fairness these are my beliefs....on dionosaurs. thumbsup.gif

You are welcome to believe/not believe... whatever....

And YES... these are my actual beliefs! (Shocking someone in this day and time could actually have that much faith .. huh?) w00t.gif

Obsessed?... mmmm that is a way of looking at it... but of course ... that is your belief .. right? huh.gif

enlighten minds need to know both sides to any story i am baptist and belive in god's words (the bible ) my wife is a catholic she also belives very deeply in god . the only thing i can think of is it dosen't matter where we come from only where we are going and how we get there, creation is not for us to question or prove it is a means to tell us all how to live life to the fullest everyday not fight over whos right or wrong

sorry if this seems rude or demoralizing to any faith or non-faith its just that fighting and arguing seems silly in the grand scheme of the universe

And YES... these are my actual beliefs! (Shocking someone in this day and time could actually have that much faith .. huh?)

I have faith in lots of things, one of them being that I am not always right (it's what makes learing so much fun).

Maybe an open mind in this day and age is a dangerous thing?

Getting back on track... this topic....

I am not trying to convince anyone that the bible's teaching of creation is right...

Just debating that if the bible teachings and beliefs cannot be taught in school.... then neither should evolution or Darwin's Theories!

w00t.gif How many times am I going to have to say that!

I don't want this to turn into ... "My beliefs are right!".... No... "My beliefs are right".... not what I started this for!!!!

Maybe an open mind in this day and age is a dangerous thing?

why is that ? huh.gif in a world where nearly every one has a black vile like goo where there soul should be it is good to know there are still open hearted people out there in this world

Yes I think they should but it's rule of the masses. I went to a Catholic School and was taught both if anything this gave me more of a will to debate and draw my own conclusions.

enlighten minds need to know both sides to any story

That is the best way to say it. I am always hungry for knowledge. I like to think I have a little bit of information on everything, whether I believe in it or not. thumbsup.gif