Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep problems to hit Mars crews

Waspie_Dwarf

Sleep problems could jeopardise future missions to Mars

Some of the first results from a simulation of a mission to Mars show that some of the crew experienced isolation and mild depression.

Research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests differences in the sleep patterns of the crew caused problems.

The findings suggest that not all current astronauts will be suited to interplanetary travel.

The Mars500 project investigated how crews would cope on a real mission.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Isolation and depression on a planet months away from Earth and their families, from cable Tv and fresh air...not surprised.

This is quite the interesting topic ,Would be nice to follow this research in depth ,Is there an Online viewing of this anywhere ? :tu:

Is there an Online viewing of this anywhere ? :tu:

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here? An online viewing of what, the Mars500 project? If so then no, because the 500 day "mission" has already ended. Now the finding are being published.

I thought they were already looking into how they could possibily use the lighting technology of this new dreamliner jet. So a more appropriate cycle is influenced.

I thought they were already looking into how they could possibily use the lighting technology of this new dreamliner jet. So a more appropriate cycle is influenced.

Yes, but that is for use on the ISS where some of the problems are similar to an airliner, constant noise for example. That study has only just started so no ones knows if it will work yet.

If the problems with sleep on a simulated Mars mission have a different root cause and/or are more severe there is no guarantee that what works on a long haul flight or on the ISS will work on a real Mars mission.

I wonder if they are on "watches" ,like 4 hrs on 8 hrs off, to look after the instruments and well being of the craft. Maybe they should choose people who are comfortable being on their own for long periods, instead of people with half their minds on the work and the other half worrying about those they left behind.I think on a venture this huge you would need total concentration on what is going on around you.

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here? An online viewing of what, the Mars500 project? If so then no, because the 500 day "mission" has already ended. Now the finding are being published.

But What about the Mars group thats recruiting in the News this week ? I wonder what there M.O is ?

But What about the Mars group thats recruiting in the News this week ? I wonder what there M.O is ?

I think that's the Mars One group. These are the people that want to send colonists on a one way trip to Mars in 2023. (It ain't gonna happen imo).

Their web site is HERE.

That would be tough as hell. Not getting enough sleep and your body out of sync with everyone else.

The problem is that there were no movies or fine vodka on-board.

Um.... or women. :su

• Like 1

I wonder if they are on "watches" ,like 4 hrs on 8 hrs off, to look after the instruments and well being of the craft. Maybe they should choose people who are comfortable being on their own for long periods, instead of people with half their minds on the work and the other half worrying about those they left behind.I think on a venture this huge you would need total concentration on what is going on around you.

Yeah I would assume that they could get someone that had very little family or maybe not even a family of there own meaning people that didnt have kids or a wife

Yeah I would assume that they could get someone that had very little family or maybe not even a family of there own meaning people that didnt have kids or a wife

Why? If you look at the history of exploration then you will see that explorers have more often than not been family men. There is a school of thought that says that explorers with family are less likely to be reckless as they won't to come home alive.

There is a school of thought that says that explorers with family are less likely to be reckless as they won't to come home alive.

Sounds a little counter-intuitive, wouldn't you think?

Waspie, if "won't" was meant to be "want", I retract my statement.

Waspie, if "won't" was meant to be "want", I retract my statement.

It was indeed. I shouldn't post when tired.

Yeah, know what you mean. All is good. :yes:

The problem is that there were no movies or fine vodka on-board.

Um.... or women. :su

If you bring the vodka, I'll bring the lemon aid