Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

10,000 turtles found in luggage

animals bizzare wierd creepy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

More than 10,000 live exotic turtles have been found in the luggage of two passengers at an Indian airport.

The two Indian nationals were arrested at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International airport in Kolkata after customs officials discovered the reptiles packed in their suitcases.

"10,043 numbers of exotic varieties of the turtles have been seized from two passengers, residents of Chennai, who were coming from China to Singapore, and landed at Kolkata airport," said assistant commissioner of Airport Customs, Nabnit Kumar.

The turtles were in three bags waiting to be picked up from a conveyor belt when they aroused the suspicion of customs officials, The Indian Express reported.

http://news.sky.com/...t-india-airport

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#2    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

this is so disgusting. When does it stop.  They should go to jail forever.

#3    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

i agree, i was apauled when i found the article, but i thought it was enough to get into the bizzare topic lol

#4    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

This is why species that are on the verge probably (and unfortunately), won't make it. Mankind's inability to control it's greed and need to destroy everything we touch will sadly end many species existence.

#5    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 24 July 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

This is why species that are on the verge probably (and unfortunately), won't make it. Mankind's inability to control it's greed and need to destroy everything we touch will sadly end many species existence.
i agree

View PostMJNYC, on 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

this is so disgusting. When does it stop.  They should go to jail forever.
beautiful cat man! very beautiful!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#6    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,142 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

If they were ninja turtles no-one would have been any the wiser.

#7    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostEldorado, on 24 July 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

ROFL JUST COUGHED UP MY PEANUTS! EPIC COMMENTS

#8    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thank you, kannin :)

#9    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostEldorado, on 24 July 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

If they were NInja turtles the smuggler would be pizza topping and on his way to being digested...

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#10    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

There are respectable reptiles keeper who buy only captive bred animals and many turtles are captive bred. Many thousand of Red-eared Sliders, Map Turtles, even Common Snappers, as well as more exotic species like the African Spur Thighed Tortoise are available though breeding. There is no need to take animals from the wild and also if they are rare, it may not be because they have been over hunted, it may be because they are very habitat specific and likely will do very poorly in captivity. There are some turtle breeding facilities, I believe the Atlanta Botanical Gardens is breeding rare confiscated turtles with success. No confiscated turtle is generally returned to the wild, because by being crowded together with other turtles (often of different regions) they often harbor disease, so it is up to serious breeders to take care of them and to hopefully produce young.

In the past may people who used to smuggle drugs switched over to wildlife because the penalties were either much less severe or in some cases the governments involved did not ever care about things like turtles of lizards.

My yard is full of  native Box Turtles and I like the little guys, they harm nothing and I try to save as many from the local roads that I can. (They will pee on you if you're not careful, lol.)

#11    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

well having 10,000 turtles that belong to an endangered species, thats a big chunk of that species gone, its sad to say but not all 10,000 tutrles were ment for expensive pets, its sick

#12    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,186 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think it was noticed because the luggage was pulsating and started moving on it's own.

Ok, maybe not a true story(my story). :w00t:

Edited by pallidin, 25 July 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#13    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postpallidin, on 25 July 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

I think it was noticed because the luggage was pulsating and started moving on it's own.

Ok, maybe not a true story(my story). :w00t:
your most likley right, im still trying to wrap my head around how they conceiled 10k plus turtles thats crazy! and thats alot of fudging turtles!

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

And It's quite obvious that the smuggler could care less about the effect on the species to make a quick buck.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#15    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 26 July 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

And It's quite obvious that the smuggler could care less about the effect on the species to make a quick buck.
isnt it truley disgusting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users