Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia finds 'new bacteria' in Antarctic lake

Still Waters

Russian scientists believe they have found a wholly new type of bacteria in the mysterious subglacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica, the RIA Novosti news agency reported on Thursday.

The samples obtained from the underground lake in May 2012 contained a bacteria which bore no resemblance to existing types, said Sergei Bulat of the genetics laboratory at the Saint Petersburg Institute of Nuclear Physics.

"After putting aside all possible elements of contamination, DNA was found that did not coincide with any of the well-known types in the global database," he said. "We are calling this life form unclassified and unidentified," he added.

http://phys.org/news...rctic-lake.html

• Like 1

Que Zombie apoclypse. :D

I bet that lake has many more mysteries to be found.

• Like 4

I'm not buying that old line again ... it's very old bacteria frozen in ice a long time ago

Russkies think they can pull another fast one over our eyes eh ?

• Like 1

Que Zombie apoclypse. :D

That was my first thought as well. lol

• Like 2

Wait until they dig up one that kills us all. RunFortheHills.gif

• Like 1

Not a zombie apocalypse..cue John Carpenter's "The Thing"....*shudder*

I agree with most here what if they dig out some sort of a prehistoric virus what then ? I hope they are handling that stuff with great caution!

I have posted about it in a reply to a similar, earlier find posted on UM, but they have already found bacteria (spores) in ancient salt deposits of more than 600 million years old. And these dormant spores were brought back to life, and that was in the 70's of the past century.

We're still here.

The Russians are to be congratulated. This could add a lot to our knowledge.

• Like 2

Yes the Russians have added greatly to our knowledge of life on Earth with this discovery of this bacteria find.

Oh sweet!!! But come on... Why do the russians always add a twist?

better tasting cheese ... yumm

They better start figuring out how to make an antibiotic that will kill a primitive bacteria like that. Once all that ice melts, it's only a matter of time before we are infected.

I have posted about it in a reply to a similar, earlier find posted on UM, but they have already found bacteria (spores) in ancient salt deposits of more than 600 million years old. And these dormant spores were brought back to life, and that was in the 70's of the past century.

We're still here.

It's like driving at a high speed, you may be done it numerous of times prior and survived. But all it takes is 1 time to crash and die. Same goes for ancient bacteria, may have found numerous of them before but all it takes is unearthing one that could wipe us out.

But hey what's life without a little danger :)

If is a freaking super bug, so help me Odin :no:

Am I the only one who trusts in modern medicine? Besides the ice will melt eventually.

Im guessing its the same people freaking out over this, as the world killer black hole being created by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN back in 2008.

The main concern is that the lake could become contaminated (killing this bacteria, and other life down there) with the antifreeze that the Russians used to keep the bore hole from refreezing.

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

Breaking news! first picture of Lake Vostok bacteria 031a07dfb2e6.gif

And once infected, zombie time!

Well the tardigrade can live in that environment, so we can expect other organisms to be there.

With all the junk science I've seen coming out of Russia lately it's hard for me to take this seriously. Time will tell.

Obviously im the only one who think Its more likely that modern bacterias will wipe that new found "lifeform" away. We should protect and preserve it.

If is a freaking super bug, so help me Odin :no:

thats a virus lol

I can't imagine how something that evolved to survive in that environment could be able to infect us. Get real.