Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Science Of Telepathy

She-ra

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk a mile (or 1.6 kilometres) in somebody else’s shoes? Or have you ever tried to send a telepathic message to a partner in transit to “pick up milk on your way home”?

Recent advances in brain-computer interfaces are turning the science fantasy of transmitting thoughts directly from one brain to another into reality.

Studies published in the last two years have reported direct transmission of brain activity between two animals, between two humans and even between a human and a rat. These “brain-to-brain interfaces” (BBIs) allow for direct transmission of brain activity in real time by coupling the brains of two individuals.

So what is the science behind this?

Read more here: http://www.iflscience.com/brain/brain-brain-interfaces-science-telepathy

There's less to that than meets the eye.

No two brains are the same shape or have the same number of neurons and connections, so the experience of data will be different for each. In addition, I notice that they didn't run a double-blind experiment. That's not kosher.

• Like 1

I felt that way too when I read it. Was it an actual thought that was registering? Still thought it was deserving of a post. Wanted to see what others had to say about this :yes:

Edited by She-ra

When it comes to telepathy I am at an impasse, it would be really nice to see results that come to any of these experiments. It would make communication a little easier, eh? And let's face it, having the skill is more than amazing. Unfortunately, no matter what formula they can think of, it never comes out right. There's always something missing from the equation. A strong bond or emotion between two individuals or relations may be come closest to this, but attempting to get results from brain-machine interface....... now that's something I would like to see.

• Like 1

I don't see the hoopla really. All they are doing is using a different medium of communication. Brainwaves travelling thru wires into a magnet creating an effect in the brain is akin to talking into a phone and someone hearing it at the other end of another phone. Now if they were able to do that without the need for wires and magnets then that would be something.

• Like 1

I don't see the hoopla really. All they are doing is using a different medium of communication. Brainwaves travelling thru wires into a magnet creating an effect in the brain is akin to talking into a phone and someone hearing it at the other end of another phone. Now if they were able to do that without the need for wires and magnets then that would be something.

Agree.

edited to add:

A strong bond or emotion between two individuals or relations may be come closest to this, but attempting to get results from brain-machine interface....... now that's something I would like to see.

I agree with the strong bond's and emotion and just "knowing" in that situation because you KNOW the person. Nothing special or magical about that!

Edited by She-ra

Out of all the psychic powers, I think telekinesis would be the coolest one to have..:D

• Like 1

Out of all the psychic powers, I think telekinesis would be the coolest one to have.. :D

I agree! LOL- but I think some of the research they are doing in this study is a waste of time and money. I'd like it if they were doing things differently but oh well. I was surprised when I came across this article and that this sort of thing was even being researched. Anyways, though it was worth a post for us here on UM.

Telepathy is a subject of great interest to me. My understanding is that it is more like a shared experience empathically speaking than bran to brain thought exchanges.

• Like 1

Telepathy is a subject of great interest to me. My understanding is that it is more like a shared experience empathically speaking than bran to brain thought exchanges.

Oh well I hope you enjoy this read then :)

I did have some issues with the way they did the testing, think it could have been done differently and measured differently. Anyways, thought some people here might like to read about it.

Were you around John from Lowell when we did that "experiment" here on UM with this? We had a long, long thread on it. It was awesome. No one really ever got anything right but it was a fun little game. :D Was it in the game section? I have to go look into that and take a look at that again if I can find it. Too funny.

I often get "messages" when I'm out shopping , such as "don't forget the Milk", or "remember to go to the Post Office", from my Mrs . I don't need a cell/mobile phone to communicate with her.

• Like 1

Of course there is telepathy. Evertime I pass along a Porsche car dealer, all cars in the showroom do speak to me: "buy me,

buy me now, dont wait any longer!", especially the Carrera GT3 seems to speak in capital letters.

• Like 2

Telepathy is quite easy. Common meditation about a person is enough. You need mostly imagination. And the best for such an attempt is time is before falling asleep.Also is good training an imagery.

• Like 1

Were you around John from Lowell when we did that "experiment" here on UM with this? We had a long, long thread on it. It was awesome. No one really ever got anything right but it was a fun little game. :D Was it in the game section? I have to go look into that and take a look at that again if I can find it. Too funny.

No doubt. I am not inclined towards guessing games myself. The things that I some how know from another are not in that category.

• Like 1

I keep trying to send Telepathic messages to my boyfriend to buy me jewellry, still no luck, but I'll keep trying!

• Like 1

I keep trying to send Telepathic messages to my boyfriend to buy me jewellry, still no luck, but I'll keep trying!

I know right?!?!?! :D

Oh and John from Lowell - you have to admit the game we did here way back when on UM was fun!!!! I never found the link tho. I think I guessed like one out of 10 tries...but it was a good thread.

• 1 month later...

A strong bond or emotion between two individuals or relations may be come closest to this,

This is an experience I had when my son was about 9 or 10. I was sitting reading in the room next to my son's bedroom. I came to a part in the book where a farmer took a dog into a stable and shot it dead. I stopped reading because I was shocked, I really hadn't seen that coming. Just then my son came into the room crying. I asked him what was the matter and he said he had just had an awful dream: a man had taken his dog from him and shot it dead. So, there's the close bond and surely what happened was that my thoughts entered my son's brain? I know I can't prove this incident to UM members, all I can say is that I have experienced other 'sorts' of telepathy too ..... enough times to make me sure that it is a real event.