Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Haven't Ghosts Been Photographed Twice?

MattM

I've often wondered, when looking at famous ghost photographs, why the apparitions have never been recorded on camera again. I know, with the exception of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall, that the ghosts have not been visible to the photographers when the pictures were taken, but I wonder if anyone has tried photographing the location of a famous ghost photo, with the chance something might appear. I visited Newby Church five weeks ago and took around twenty black and white pictures with my Minolta XG-M. I used a faster film than normal, although I couldn't use a fast shutter speed cos the church was quite dark inside and the day was very overcast.

I photographed the famous altar, and to my disappointment nothing appeared where the ghost stood on the famous 1960s photo. I know there has been loads of debate about whether the picture is genuine, and I'm uncertain myself. I've researched the history of the area where Newby Church is located and, if the figure is a monk, I've found nothing to suggest that a monastery or abbey was located near where the church now stands. The nearest monasteries were three miles away in and around Ripon.

The ghost's size had always been a mystery to me, as it appears nine feet tall. This is really strange, as aren't ghosts meant to appear a more "normal" size? All other photos show figures that aren't so strangely tall.

Edited by MattM

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cazee

• Aztec Warrior

• dani10

• RollingThunder06

Maybe with digital cameras a couple of pictures will be taken of a ghost. We have to remember that these are luck pictures and once an apparition senses a person it may not want to be interacted with.

The picture you are referring to was on another posting. The theory is that some people say the apparition is on the top step of the alter and there is another bending down in front it. This gives the illusion that it is so tall.

Hope you enjoyed your trip and sorry you didn't catch anything on film.

Oh, and welcome to UM! :tu:

Edited by RollingThunder06

Well if you look at the webpages of the ghost webcams, they all have lots of pics of what seem to be the same ghosts :geek:

Maybe because there are no such things as ghosts.

In the case of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall: if u were to stand where the photographer was on a bright sunny day. Swing the door back n forth and u will able to take pictures of the same phenomenon of sunlight. Thus you can take pictures of the same ghost.

The Brown Lady at Raynham Hall was dubbed a fake by double exposure or two images put together to form the illusion.

Many famous photographs from the past, especially from the Victorian times, for example, when seances and ghosts were a huge trend, were often faked for 'party pieces' and for social acclaim.

The camera's used in the past were also not as technologically advanced as today so the double exposures etc were more common place.

This is probably one of the reasons why these images haven't been captured on camera since.

Edited by Lottie

Yesterday i took bout 5 Pics of the same"Ghost" i think is was! some idiot

Deletet them :(

Yesterday i took bout 5 Pics of the same"Ghost" i think is was! some idiot

Deletet them :(

What do you mean Cazee?

me and a Friend am makin a Multi lang website/forum bout Ghost and the Paranormal stuff ;) i was takin some pics at home.! and when i looked at the Pisc there was something strang in my room on the pisc!.... and it wasent there when i was takin pisc...and it was on 5 of the pics !...if my sis could englisg good she could verfyie it!

and then a mate deletet all the pics on the camara!

Edited by Cazee

me and a Friend am makin a Multi lang website/forum bout Ghost and the Paranormal stuff ;) i was takin some pics at home.! and when i looked at the Pisc there was something strang in my room on the pisc!.... and it wasent there when i was takin pisc...and it was on 5 of the pics !...if my sis could englisg good she could verfyie it!

and then a mate deletet all the pics on the camara!

you can still recover deleted pictures..

lets say you did catch somthing on your camera, most people will either check their lcd screen and maybe run away haha or try to take another picture but the cooldown time for the flash is too slow to be able to do that, and perhaps the phenomena had moved by then..

well i made 5 pics!... ;)

I don't know if this is true or not, but here in Alabama there is a lady named Katherine Tucker Windham who wrote a series of books of ghost stories from the southern states. In "Thirteen Alabama Ghosts," Mrs. Tucker talks about the ghost in her house in Selma named Jeffery. Jeffery was suposedly photographed twice.

Having said that, I've only seen the one picture in the book. He looks like what they call a shadow person. Supposedly, the photos and negatives were sent to Kodak and were said not to have been altered.

The lady who owns the local book store in town says Mrs. Windham's house really is haunted. :w00t: Take Care...