Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cowboy Grave Photo

MattM

Does anyone think the photo taken around 10 years ago that shows a figure that appears to be rising from a grave taken in a cemetery where outlaws were buried is creepy. Apparently, the person who took the photo recreated the scene with a friend standing in the mystery figure's postion and they couldn't copy the exact postion of the figure in cowboy clothes. I've read that the figure appears above the ground...Most ghost phots seem to show figures standing rather than floating.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NME_locus

• Shaftsbury

• coldethyl

• ~Onyx~

Without the original picture, this thread is sort of pointless

Edited by 420_toker

user posted image

What EXACTLY is "douche-a-long cassidy" supposed to be doing in this photo, anyway? I've seen this photo described in AT LEAST 5-6 different ways...and each one suggests that there is a ghost "rising-up" in the background....I see a pic in the background...but the "pic" looks like Clark freakin' Kent...which seems just a BIT outta place in Tombstone, or wherever the hell that pic was supposed to be taken in.

...That's an actual picture? That looks ridiculous.

It's obviously a person back there. Kinda funny how the man who's supposed to be the main subject of the shot is just enough off center to make the guy in back more noticable. Whomever snapped the shot included the person intentionally.

Edited by MakeshiftSage

"Clark Kent" .... HaHa .... that figure does look a bit out-of-place.

So is this the pic the OP is talking about or what?

this photo is so famous. why?

btw it just looks like someone sitting on the background, the bushes can cover his leg. or it could be a doll.

Edited by lufia

Exactly. We don't know.

So is this the pic the OP is talking about or what?

I believe so...it's been circulating on The Net for some time. You'll probably get the same pic if you google "paranormal pic of dumb-ass in cowboy hat".....or you may get George W....either one fits the bill.

Edited by Onyxdk

Exactly. We don't know.

Because there is a 99% chance that someone out there would believe it. They tell their friends about it (who are equally, well, ya know) and so on and so forth. Hence the infamous pic of a cowboy posing while his buddy gets up from a nap.

I've seen this 'cowboy' pic a bunch of times and I've always thought it was crap. But what I want to know is, is this the picture that the OP was referring to ?

btw it just looks like someone sitting on the background, the bushes can cover his leg. or it could be a doll.

It is supposed to be famous just because it has circulated so much on the internet. I believe it even made it into a book, I'm not really sure though.

I live a couple of hours away from that cemetery, in fact my husband and I went up there about a year ago. It is nothing more than an eye sore, garage sale-type tourist trap. The cemetery itself is very small, believe me, there is nothing paranormal about it. The town could have been something awesome, but it is just a dilapitated, falling apart tourist town. The only thing "authentic" left in the town is The Bird Cage. I won't even go there, except to say I felt I probably should have visited my pulmonologist afterwards. If I am correct, not sure I am, I think the town is actually in danger of losing its historical status.

user posted image

What EXACTLY is "douche-a-long cassidy" supposed to be doing in this photo, anyway? I've seen this photo described in AT LEAST 5-6 different ways...and each one suggests that there is a ghost "rising-up" in the background....I see a pic in the background...but the "pic" looks like Clark freakin' Kent...which seems just a BIT outta place in Tombstone, or wherever the hell that pic was supposed to be taken in.

Story of the actual photo at the bottom of post:

Hold on guys, hold on.. I've been there. This place is creepy and in the middle of no where.

user posted image

This is actually a very neat place to go. I know the original story. The movie Tombstone is based off of it.

Read through the list of names and how they died, some died from historic events, actually most died that way. http://www.interment.net/data/us/az/cochis...ll/boothill.htm

This is the resting place for many famous names:

Claibourne, William, d. 14 Nov 1882, "Shot by Frank Leslie", Row 2, Also known as Arizona's Billy the Kid

Clanton, Billy, d. 26 Oct 1881, Row 2, Killed in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral

by the Earps and Doc Holliday on October 26, 1881..... One of the leaders of the Clanton Gang...http://www.clantongang.com/oldwest/billy_history.html

This eerie photo was taken by the webmaster at Ghosts of Tombstone. Here's his story:

"I personally shot this photograph of my friend in Boothill Graveyard... We had it developed at Thrifty Drug Store and I know no one tampered with it! The picture was shot in black & white, because my friend wanted old west looking pictures of himself dressed up in my 1880 period clothes. I know there was no other person in this photograph when I shot it, especially some guy holding a knife! That's right folks, if you look carefully the person in the background appears to be holding a knife! Look just to the right of my friend and you'll see a person which appears to have no legs or is coming out of a grave!"

Edited by NME_locus

NME is right, there is a lot of historical value to Tombstone, but most of that has been destroyed. I am not sure how long it has been since he was there, but the streets are lined up with nothing more than garage-sell type stores.

There are a few good spots left. The Rose Tree Museum is pretty cool, it has the world's largest and oldest rose tree. I can't remember the story in its entirety, but I believe it was brought from Spain by some monks, not sure. It's awesome, you can climb up on a platform to look at it. It shades the entire back yard area with a blanket of limbs and when in bloom is absolutely beautiful. You can buy a clipping. The museum is attatched to one of the first homes build with a lot of the original furniture, etc. Pictures of the mine and the workers. The history is interesting. The kiddies will enjoy it, but be prepared to open your wallet for most every little five minute tour, demo, etc. It has really just turned into a money-making tourist spot.

One more thing I forgot to mention if it helps any.... the person who took this picture is named Terry Ike Clanton.......

Sounds familar? Well he is a relative of the person below: Maybe, the ghost is trying to make contact with a living relative.

Clanton, Billy, d. 26 Oct 1881, Row 2, Killed in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral

by the Earps and Doc Holliday on October 26, 1881..... One of the leaders of the Clanton Gang...http://www.clantongang.com/oldwest/billy_history.html

This is the only photo of Billy Clanton at age 19, dead... could it have been possibly used to produce a hoax? Also, does this photo look like the ghost in the background?

user posted image

Here's some more details of the story:

The Ghost of Boothill Cemetery

"This is the photo that changed my opinion about ghost photos," says Terry Ike Clanton, who runs the TombstoneArizona.com website. Clanton is an actor, recording artist and cowboy poet, and is also a cousin of the legendary Clanton Gang who clashed with the Earps and Doc Holliday at the famous gunfight at OK Corral. Clanton took this photo of his friend (click the picture to see the complete photo) at Boothill Graveyard. The photo was taken in black and white because he wanted Old West-looking pictures of himself dressed in Clanton's 1880-period clothes. Clanton took the film for developing to the local Thrifty Drug Store, and when he got it back was startled at what he saw. Among the gravestones, just to the right of his friend, is the image of what appears to be a thin man in a dark hat. By height, the man appears to be either legless, kneeling... or rising up out of the ground.

"I know there was no other person in this photograph when I shot it," Clanton insists. And he believes the small figure in the background is holding a knife. "We thought this was a tie at first, but after further review, it appears to be a knife," Clanton says. "The knife is in a vertical position; the tip is located just below the figure's right collar. If you're not convinced that something is weird here, look at my friend's shadow in the photo. It appears to be going back slightly to the right of him. The figure in the back should have the same shadow, but it doesn't!"

Edited by NME_locus

OK you guys are creeping me out, I've been through all the posts and don't see a Cowboy, a Grave, or even a Photo for that matter.

:o creeeepy !

OK you guys are creeping me out, I've been through all the posts and don't see a Cowboy, a Grave, or even a Photo for that matter.

:o creeeepy !

Here you go, I have my own picture of this story.... http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphi...ll_ghost_lg.jpg

Here's the picture of the topic: Click for larger views :)

Photo taken by Terry Ike Clanton, relative of Billy Clanton of the Clanton Gang...

user posted image

Only picture of Billy Clanton, dead at age 19

user posted image

Edited by NME_locus

it's an interesting photo but it doesn't look remotely paranormal to me.

The image in the background looks like a man kneeling in the bushes.

His hat and clothes appear contemporary and not the style of 1880's

Arizona.

I agree, I've been browsing through some images of "stetsons" from the late 1800's. That hat looks more like a Fedora to me, also I'm wondering why the photograph is not centered on the subject? Was the photographer expexcting to see something on the right side of the subject?

I agree, I've been browsing through some images of "stetsons" from the late 1800's. That hat looks more like a Fedora to me, also I'm wondering why the photograph is not centered on the subject? Was the photographer expexcting to see something on the right side of the subject?

I'm sure the original photo was centered on the guy. I'm sure they cropped it to focus in on what they want you to see. The so-called ghost is holding a knife, and that's not a tie.

I'm sure some wore stetsons, but I'm sure that many wore all different types of hats.

If you read through the list of all the people buried here, there were many ethinic group:

The chinese, the black slaves, the germans, the indians.

Plus, it really depends on the area of the US.

http://www.interment.net/data/us/az/cochis...ll/boothill.htm

No offense, but I don't believe that it justifies what people were wearing. Most were outlaws, and don't think they were up to date on the latest fashion. I wish it would narrow things down like that. Some people to this day wear stetsons like that still. Also, stetsons were bent to all different ways of wearing them, depending on the individual personality.

Edited by NME_locus

Yep I agree with you on most of those points, Billy Clanton was gunned down in 1861? If I remember right, Steston was the first to come out with the tratitional "cowboy" hat in the mid 1800's so they were a fairly new at that time, and people wore all kinds of things.

The black hat the proposed ghost is wearing, didn't really look like a stetson to me after browsing through the various images online. And if it is a Fedora, I don't believe they came out until the 1900's.

It's a pretty interesting picture, but I don't think the clothing style of the highlighted image matches the period. But I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert. :tu: