Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost picture-opinions?

RollingThunder06

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• Episteme

• LadyHay

• RollingThunder06

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome photo! I love it! but gosh who knows if it's real or not :hmm:

I'm going to have a closer look at it now in my paint prog.

My thoughts are that this cloaked outline does infact belong to the pic because in the first edited pic where equalization has been laid on, you can see that the cloak exists behind the leafs and bushes. So if that was to be photoshopped, then it suggests the greenary is photoshopped as well. Which I find unlikely.

The only thing left to debate IMO is whether that was a real person in a long coat and the persons face has been photoshopped out of the pic for effect. Otherwise It's a really good pic. I really like this one!

user posted image

user posted image

The original pic

user posted image

Edited by Anvil

Thanks Anvil for going through the trouble of taking a good look at this and then posting the pictures. I look at a lot of pictures and very few impress me. This one did.

Very cool photo. I'm wondering what the red thing to the right of the figure is in the uncropped original - circled below.

user posted image

I enjoy doing it :tu:

I forgot to add that the other 'splodges' around the pic is most likely rain drops.

Very cool photo. I'm wondering what the red thing to the right of the figure is in the uncropped original - circled below.

Yeah that's well noticed, I have no idea.

Is the photograph taken through glass? Like through a car window maybe? Coz to me the white figure and especially the red stuff could be reflections of whatever is in the car. The other white splotches seem to me like rain drops dripping down a car window.

Edited by Katryona

I really know nothing about this pic, so I can't be certain about it one way or another, but.....

When I look at it, it looks to me like a jacket hanging by its hood on a short tree branch. The kind of jacket that has one of those small cape-like things at the shoulders (what are they called? LOL). See attached alterations:

Edit: There is even a shadow under the cape-like thingy, and you can see the seam where the hood is sewn on.

post-16938-1161068246.jpg

post-16938-1161068281.jpg

Edited by earthchick

Very good, Katryona, I think you may be on to something. The rain does not quite look right either. Dang, this was a good one too. Now it looks like a reflection of a shirt to me... :(

You know what they say...If it's to good to be true it probably is...

My first impression was this was "created" not captured. There are aspects of the photo that suggest layering was done IMO. The white object/coat is behind a bit of greenary but that can be done in PS. That bit of greenary doesn't look natural to me actually, well neither does other greenary seen. The anomaly itself looks added in, rather than apart of the image. And just the overall look of the photo, the tones, the white anomalies that are seen, look odd/off. :hmm:

I noticed some interesting things while looking at the photo data. The creator tool is: Adobe Photoshop Elements, and software listed is Adobe Photoshop 7. Now one can just use the program to resize, however some of the additional PS tags suggest more than a resize may have been done (eg:layers state info, layers group info, slices, grid guides info). :unsure:

The last modified date/time is not consistent with the date/time original and digitized as it usually is, even if a downsize is done. Flash was off, so I don't think all the smaller white anomalies and even the ones between the trees next to the white coat/form are rain or other air particulates. With no flash fired the exposure of the image also looks off, even with 1/8 at f/2.8, given the heavy trees/foliage, and lack of day/sun light seen coming through, in particular in the background of the image.

It's possible this was shot through a window (as suggested) which was smudged and that created the smaller white anomalies, and the red thing, the white coat anomaly, and the slight lines seen going across part of the image are reflections of things in the car? If they didn't have the lens butt up to the window that is. But even if it were evidence seems to point to the image having still been altered in some way, I could be wrong. ;)

good pic but to me it kinda looks like a reflection of a jacket hanging on a hook. :hmm:

It looks like a reflection or a double exposure to me.

You all have good points. I'm impressed with the detective work and knowledge of PS.

These are my findings:

The statement, "...we heard a scream come from our co-worker's office as she came across this photo featuring a ghostly hooded apparition." seems a bit over the top and overly dramatic.

That statement alone leads me to believe there is embellishment. Who screams while looking at photos? Wouldn't the more likely reaction be one of discovery, confusion, wonder, consternation?

If I had been looking through some random photos, came across this, I would be trying to determine what it was. Right now, I'm thinking, if it has not been photoshopped, someone hung their jacket up on a tree branch, and either intentionally took a photo for kicks, or accidently took a photo of it, and decided it was just to eerie to pass up.

I believe this was posted a while ago, I dont remember. But I do remember doing some editing on this picture, ill see if I can dig it up.

You all have good points. I'm impressed with the detective work and knowledge of PS.

These are my findings:

The statement, "...we heard a scream come from our co-worker's office as she came across this photo featuring a ghostly hooded apparition." seems a bit over the top and overly dramatic.

That statement alone leads me to believe there is embellishment. Who screams while looking at photos? Wouldn't the more likely reaction be one of discovery, confusion, wonder, consternation?

If I had been looking through some random photos, came across this, I would be trying to determine what it was. Right now, I'm thinking, if it has not been photoshopped, someone hung their jacket up on a tree branch, and either intentionally took a photo for kicks, or accidently took a photo of it, and decided it was just to eerie to pass up.

Not everyone is going to have the same reaction.

Hmm a long rain coat hanging on a branch or someone who really is standing there is what I'm leaning towards. I don't think it's photoshopped...

It's a cool-looking pic, I readily admit that, but wether it's authentic or not....I leave to those better equiped to tell.

What i see is a picture taken from inside a car, out the window during rain. I can see the reflection of the depth of the passenger's seat, and two people. The person farthest looks like theyre wearing their seatbelt. The apparition looks like a reflection of some white jacket or shirt maybe in the persons lap or tucked under something. The red thing is some other reflection or negative space in the reflection. Can you see how it looks like the camera wasn't directly lined up with the window, its looking out at an angle. You see at the bottom how there are 3 dark spikes? It is probably condensation on that window. This means the story is fake, and the picture is not photoshopped but still fake. :no:

If it was taken from a car window, I hope they crashed on their way to wherever they were driving.

Not everyone is going to have the same reaction.

Yes, that is true, however, to scream is a bit overmuch, IMO.

It wasn't a situation where one would be startled, which I admit could cause screaming.

It just doesn't fit within the perameters of "normal" reactions. It is not THAT unusual or horrific, or even scary of a photograph.

Yes, that is true, however, to scream is a bit overmuch, IMO.

It wasn't a situation where one would be startled, which I admit could cause screaming.

It just doesn't fit within the perameters of "normal" reactions. It is not THAT unusual or horrific, or even scary of a photograph.

That's a good point.

I was about to comment but reading the above I see that passtheflask has pretty much said what i was about to say.

yeh some good points made here, id agree with passtheflask and others who say its probably a reflection of some clothing from wherever it was taken from.. its definately take through glass which is never good for photo credibility.

it actually looks like it could be the shirt of the person taking the photo.. the red part pointed out has the same pattern to it, and also near the bottom of the photo there are more anomolys that could also be reflections of the same thing. also the spattery type of pattern to the right looks like it has a checkered pattern to it.

the lesson to be learned is dont take pictures through glass, unless you have to and if you do put the lens right up against it so the reflections are minimised

Is the photograph taken through glass? Like through a car window maybe? Coz to me the white figure and especially the red stuff could be reflections of whatever is in the car. The other white splotches seem to me like rain drops dripping down a car window.

that's what l'm thinking too .