Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey shoots down Russian warplane

Timothy

So Turkey has shot down a Russian fighter jet, which Turkey claim had violated their airspace.

Both pilots ejected, one is claimed to have been captured, Russia advises they haven't had contact with the pilots.

'Russia’s defence ministry has confirmed the warplane downed in Syria by Turkey was a Russian Su-24, however it denies the jet crossed into Turkish skies.'

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/military-plane-shot-down-crashes-near-syrianturkish-border/news-story/02905f7e0d3270c4410d5de31722b785

Turkey, like Russia, apparently also do not mince their words.

Related Twitter account with higher-res photos and the video from the article: https://twitter.com/anadoluajansi

Is there anyone on here who can translate what the people are saying in the video? Or can relate the video and images to work out if the jet was in/outside of Turkish airspace? (It came down 'a few kilometres from the Turkish border' in 'the Turkomen Mountains region in the coastal province of Latakia.'

• Like 2

The fact that Turkey is part of NATO is the most concerning in my opinion. Stating the obvious, this could lead to war with Russia. SMH. DID WE NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM ENTANGLING ALLIANCES AFTER WWI!?!?

Edited by Thelaw1
  • Like 4

This answers a lot of wrong questions but unfortunately asks a lot more uncomfortable questions of NATO .. those Cold War Relics still holding posts needs to be purged from official duties ~

~

• Like 1

The fact that Turkey is part of NATO is the most concerning in my opinion.

I have heard some convincing arguments as to why it is good to have unsavoury members in these entities. Same goes for UNSC.

However I cannot recall those arguments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_United_Nations does give context.

I'm no fan of Erdogan but you can't keep violating someones airspace like that when they have warned you to stop. I have a feeling if it were the other way around Russia would have done the same thing.

• Like 5

I get a bad feeling about this one.

With all the prodding and poking at various regions airspace Russia has been doing recently, I cant help wondering if this wasn't an intended consequence, a means of justifying escalations in the various theatres of War Russia is directly or indirectly involved in.

Maybe I am way off base, I hope I am.

• Like 3

I think and I do believe this is more in regards to contentious Turkish 'Borders' and Airspace Post and Pre NATO ~

~

I have heard some convincing arguments as to why it is good to have unsavoury members in these entities. Same goes for UNSC.

However I cannot recall those arguments.

https://en.wikipedia..._United_Nations does give context.

One of the reasons is it checks other states' power in that region. Putting Ukraine in NATO for instance, halts Russia's advances in Eastern Europe almost immediately because no rational human being wants to test the strength and resolve of NATO as a whole. By law, if one member is attacked, all are attacked. However, I believe that putting these unsavory countries in responsible organizations such as NATO destabilizes the entire organization.

I get a bad feeling about this one.

With all the prodding and poking at various regions airspace Russia has been doing recently, I cant help wondering if this wasn't an intended consequence, a means of justifying escalations in the various theatres of War Russia is directly or indirectly involved in.

Maybe I am way off base, I hope I am.

This could have been what they wanted but lets hope not because if it was we will see more of this until there is all out war. Which will turn out bad for everyone because Russia has already said they would nuke a country if they were losing a war which would mean they would also get nuked.
  • Like 1

**** is about to go down. Russia doesn't seem the type to sit idly by.

I just woke up and was in the mood to be in a good mood.

But then read this and knew the day was going to shape up poorly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Russo-Turkish_wars

with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus_Campaign#1914

being foremost in my sleep addled mind.

• Like 2

If Turkey is found to have shot down a Russian jet in Syrian air space then they may find they dont have NATO backing much longer, if it was over Turkish airspace (which is most likely) then NATO is obligated to back Turkey fully should any repercussions arise,

Lets be honest, none of this is going to fizzle out and go away, NATO will never strike first though! Their policies are to avoid all out war as much as possible, but should Russia overstep any more than it already has that spark may well ignite the engines of the B2's,

In my own personal opinion we are most definitely heading to WW3 there is too much to sweep under the carpet now! Too much conflict of interest. The tension is at breaking point.

The cold war never really ended but its about to go into overdrive!

• Like 1

I just woke up and was in the mood to be in a good mood.

But then read this and knew the day was going to shape up poorly.

https://en.wikipedia...so-Turkish_wars

with

https://en.wikipedia...s_Campaign#1914

being foremost in my sleep addled mind.

A lot of bad blood there, lets hope we are not seeing history repeating itself.
  • Like 1

If Turkey is found to have shot down a Russian jet in Syrian air space then they may find they dont have NATO backing much longer, if it was over Turkish airspace (which is most likely) then NATO is obligated to back Turkey fully should any repercussions arise,

Lets be honest, none of this is going to fizzle out and go away, NATO will never strike first though! Their policies are to avoid all out war as much as possible, but should Russia overstep any more than it already has that spark may well ignite the engines of the B2's,

In my own personal opinion we are most definitely heading to WW3 there is too much to sweep under the carpet now! Too much conflict of interest. The tension is at breaking point.

The cold war never really ended but its about to go into overdrive!

Sometimes I think we are already in WWIII with the worst yet to come and just don't realize it yet.
  • Like 4

Sometimes I think we are already in WWIII with the worst yet to come and just don't realize it yet.

Your not alone with that train of thought! Many think we are in the slow simmering early stages of all out war,

My main fear (and it will happen) is when Russian aircraft eventually cross sovereign air space of the United Kingdom, that will be a huge turning point for the UK/USA action plan!

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin
  • Like 3

Seriously, ......... they did what everyone expected they would :o

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 1

Russia has done in the past with crossing uk airspace and turning back

crossing airspace is not uncommon, but shooting down a plane while saying before that Russia should get away from Syria only makes it look like it was intentionally. And we all know Putin, now he is in a situation where he must react in some way,.....

• Like 2

Russia has done in the past with crossing uk airspace and turning back

they have never crossed UK sovereign air space
  • Like 1

they have never crossed UK sovereign air space

it depends on how you define airspace, most of the time the boundaries aren`t so clear, but of course it depends on the region.

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 1

Sovereign air space is everything from around 20km from the shoreline and Russia has never crossed this

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin

Sovereign air space is everything from around 20km from the shoreline

as far as I know there are a lot of disputed areas like in south east Asia.... .but you are right as Europe is concerned.

How does Washington (current administration) and UK see Turkey? Isnt Turkey seen as a march against Russia?

Edit: I can`t believe that UK USA didn't know of the plan of shooting down an airplane. Also on alternative media and conspiracy sites there are articles which claim hat France and US actually don`t fight ISIS

edit: time to move to the province (backwater) ;)

Edited by hellwyr

No doubt that there is no love lost between the two but this is what happens when you do policing by committee. Everyone doing their own thing. There is a reason to only have one entity as the world's policeman. We're repeating the period between 1870 and 1914 all over again and like before, the $-hit is going to hit the fan and only Islam will benefit. I'm the one critical of Islam, but right now, ISIS is the odds on favorite. How sustainable is the Russian campaign?

The fact that Turkey is part of NATO is the most concerning in my opinion. Stating the obvious, this could lead to war with Russia. SMH. DID WE NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM ENTANGLING ALLIANCES AFTER WWI!?!?

Since Turkey is the aggressor, the rest of NATO do not need to lift a single finger to help them out.

• Like 2

No doubt that there is no love lost between the two but this is what happens when you do policing by committee. Everyone doing their own thing. There is a reason to only have one entity as the world's policeman. We're repeating the period between 1870 and 1914 all over again and like before, the $-hit is going to hit the fan and only Islam will benefit. I'm the one critical of Islam, but right now, ISIS is the odds on favorite. How sustainable is the Russian campaign?

nope if **** hits the fan Islam won`t benefit from it will be doomed like all other ^^ USA as police officer of the world had her chance (so did France, Italy, UK..etc in the past) and if we consider her politics the past 50 years it might be that today's situation was intentionally created.

@turkey agressor

Well there were a lot of articles in the mainstream media which suggested that Russia was hurting Turkey`s airspace and from the point of view of NATO, Russia is the aggressor, also Turkey said beforehand they would shoot the plane down, and don`t think a minute that the other NATO members weren`t aware of that.

Edited by hellwyr