Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Werewolves real or fake?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostMattshark, on 05 May 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Indeed, actaul shape shifting is pretty much impossible due to numerous factors, not least the energy that it would require, you'd  probable kill you just by the intensity of the required exothermic reaction. This is before we even get onto the issue of the preservation of mass.
There are more ways to shape shift than you may think. There is an octupus in Indonesia called the mimic octopus, and its the closest thig to real shapeshifting you will see.

#47    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Given that I don't know what mechanism would allow for shapeshifting, I'm certainly leaning on the far negative side of this spectrum. But I'll admit that it's possible there's some mechanism or force that we don't know about that could allow for such a thing. The most plausible candidate might be some variant of Rupert Sheldrake's morphogenetic field theory. But to be scientific, I would have to say that I don't believe in werewolves until we verify their existence. But I do remain open to the possibility. It fascinates me either way.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#48    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostMattshark, on 05 May 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Indeed, actaul shape shifting is pretty much impossible due to numerous factors, not least the energy that it would require, you'd  probable kill you just by the intensity of the required exothermic reaction. This is before we even get onto the issue of the preservation of mass.

Well, given we've never actually documented a case of shapeshifting, there's really no way to honestly say whether or not some mechanism could allow it to happen without the numerous factors mentioned here interfering (energy, death, preservation of mass, etc.). Not saying I believe in it, just that I reserve the possibility that there might be things that we don't understand. But yeah, I don't think that nature as we know it would really allow for shapeshifting. We would have to discover some really earth-shatteringly bizarre things for that to happen. And we could, I don't know. Either way I certainly place myself fairly far on the negative side of this argument.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#49    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 06 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

There are more ways to shape shift than you may think. There is an octupus in Indonesia called the mimic octopus, and its the closest thig to real shapeshifting you will see.
Indeed there is, however saying "because a boneless aquatic creature that can exert extreme control over the colouration and texture of it's skin can change it's shape, then a man can turn into a wolf" is like saying "because the colour blue exists, and the TARDIS is blue, the TARDIS exists".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#50    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 05 September 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

They don't exist. However it is possible that a demon could assume a wolf like shape in order to scare people or a  possessed person could start acting like a wild animal
well yes that is possible is'nt it,
NURSE, NURSE the pills for Mr Ogre

Edited by cenobite, 07 September 2012 - 08:57 PM.

TCB

#51    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostArbitran, on 06 September 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Well, given we've never actually documented a case of shapeshifting, there's really no way to honestly say whether or not some mechanism could allow it to happen without the numerous factors mentioned here interfering (energy, death, preservation of mass, etc.). Not saying I believe in it, just that I reserve the possibility that there might be things that we don't understand. But yeah, I don't think that nature as we know it would really allow for shapeshifting. We would have to discover some really earth-shatteringly bizarre things for that to happen. And we could, I don't know. Either way I certainly place myself fairly far on the negative side of this argument.
blimey we agree!

TCB

#52    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hmmmm shape shifting werewolves in one hand and reality in the other hmmmm puzzling what to do.? :unsure2:

#53    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

I just dont think a werewolf, the type right out of fiction and movie is physically possible.

I believe people that are overly obsessed with werewolves are pursuing fancies from their adolescence and childhoods.

I'll admit, when I was kid I thought Lon Chaney was cool beans and later in life I finally grasped the fact, the Wolfman is one of Universal Studio's most sympathetic and tragic cinema monsters that Larry Talbot suffered a curse doomed to be killed by the one he loves.

And if these reports have any authenticity, maybe the sighting was demonic and spiritual not truly a physical being.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#54    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 08 September 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

I just dont think a werewolf, the type right out of fiction and movie is physically possible.

I believe people that are overly obsessed with werewolves are pursuing fancies from their adolescence and childhoods.

I'll admit, when I was kid I thought Lon Chaney was cool beans and later in life I finally grasped the fact, the Wolfman is one of Universal Studio's most sympathetic and tragic cinema monsters that Larry Talbot suffered a curse doomed to be killed by the one he loves.

And if these reports have any authenticity, maybe the sighting was demonic and spiritual not truly a physical being.

Define "spiritual" or "demonic" in this instance? And why they should be considered viable candidates?

#55    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostArbitran, on 08 September 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Define "spiritual" or "demonic" in this instance? And why they should be considered viable candidates?

Well, I havent really followed the reports on werewolves but am aware that the belief in them has enjoyed a rather recent resurgance.

They are reportedly humanoid with animal characteristics with a coat of fur.

And they move like greased lightning, impossibly fast to be human.

Correct me if I am wrong?

If not a hoax then I vouch demon or a demonic spirit rather than a mystical shapeshifting race or cursed human being suffering lycanthrope.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#56    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,496 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 08 September 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Well, I havent really followed the reports on werewolves but am aware that the belief in them has enjoyed a rather recent resurgance.

If not a hoax then I vouch demon or a demonic spirit rather than a mystical shapeshifting race or cursed human being suffering lycanthrope.

The ancients had to ingest hallucinogens to see their "demons" and "spirits", I believe.  (I could be wrong though.. in fact, knowing UM I'll probably be corrected before I finish this pork chop).  The same was true of for 20th century mankind.
Sadly, 21st century man only has to see an episode of Scooby Doo and he's seeing shapeshifting demons in every corner.  Give him a drink of anything stronger than Red Bull and he'll post the photoshopped "evidence" on UM. lol  It has a much wider audience than a cave wall.

Edit to ramble on for another five mins.
I can remember one night I had the heeby-jeebies from alcohol wthdrawals.  Was about 3am and I swear I saw a rat with big teeth sitting on my floor.  I put the light on.. and saw that my rat was in fact, a sock.  I was scared witless for a very, very long 20 seconds.  For real.  By a sock.

:)

Edited by Eldorado, 08 September 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#57    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,496 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 06 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

I saw it turn into Justin Beiber!  My therapy starts next tuesday.

#58    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 08 September 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

You didn't give me any definition of "demonic spirit". Or why I should think it's more viable than a "mystical shapeshifting race".

#59    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostArbitran, on 08 September 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

You didn't give me any definition of "demonic spirit". Or why I should think it's more viable than a "mystical shapeshifting race".

Well, what I should have said was a demonic entity. That the sightings if they are genuine are actually elemental spirits.

I just find it quite stretch of the imagination to conclude they are a "mystical shapeshifting race" that these are actual flesh and blood mortal beings.

Addressed to the whole forum, any body have more input on werewolves or any good online readings about the The Beast Of Bay Road? Sorry, I havent followed any of the recent werewolf stories just heard some stuff second hand from others. Thanks in advance!

#60    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 08 September 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

Well, what I should have said was a demonic entity. That the sightings if they are genuine are actually elemental spirits.

I just find it quite stretch of the imagination to conclude they are a "mystical shapeshifting race" that these are actual flesh and blood mortal beings.

Addressed to the whole forum, any body have more input on werewolves or any good online readings about the The Beast Of Bay Road? Sorry, I havent followed any of the recent werewolf stories just heard some stuff second hand from others. Thanks in advance!

I'm still not understanding what you mean by "elemental spirits" or "demonic entities". Definition, if you please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users