Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A theory on Ghosts

Guest Guest

Man has always seen the body as a vehicle in which something else are essence are spirit is carried. Native American Indians believed that their spirits could be placed in side other animals, which they could not control but will to do what they wanted.

So what I want to know is why Ghosts if they are the spirits of the dead do they have bodies? Surley a body is a worldy thing something that isn't needed in a world with natural laws.

Only the body dies the spirit (according to some) lives on and some of these become ghosts. So why do they have bodies?

Maybe are brains are able to cope with seeing something in a non form, i don't mean invisible I mean that it is their but in a form that human language is hard to describe.

Or maybe Ghosts are something else completly, your view please.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• ChrisStrickler

• Saru

• tsky63

Perhaps the reason we percieve entities in human form is due to the entity itself revealing themselves to us in the last form it remembers inhabiting. This may not always be the case, but it is one theory to consider.

I think that when a ghostly entity is seen by someone, it is more to do with the mind than physical reality. I'm not saying that it's made up, but perhaps as you say, the brain cannot perceive a ghost unless it has an apparent physical form.

Those who see some ghosts may have telepathic abilities, whereas other would not be able to see the same ghost. This doesn't really explain ghost photographs and poltergeist activity, but it may explain some aspects of ghost sightings.

• 1 month later...

I think this is a good place to put this question, that has been bothering me, and I would love to hear everyone's opinion.  

I have read some of psychic Sylvia Browne's ideas about ghosts, spirits, and guides we have around us.  She says things like, the sounds and events going on around your house are past relatives and spirit guides letting you know they are around you(not a direct quote,this is my perception).  My question is, after reading this idea, do you become more sensitive to the sounds,etc., or, are you just becoming more aware that that could explain the sounds, etc.? (sorta like which came first, the chicken or the egg?). ???

Guest Guest

I think that each of us on one scale or another are able to "sense" the presence of former individuals or sounds throughout our lives..... What makes each individual unique is the amount of time spent in the

surroundings where the events occur.  I guess you could compare it to a stereo reciever, sometimes the signal is very faint at other times very strong.

The deciding difference is the human mind being conditioned to recieve these signals without questioning the source.  Perhaps that is why we do not have millions of people with the ability to actually see/or hear ghosts-spirits. Our conscious mind may simple choose to ignore what is being sent....due to not

being able to comprehend the original source.  Those that have seen/heard ghosts -spirits, may be able to bypass the rational thinking of the conscious mind and the subconcious provides a sufficient receptor for what is taking place.  I know it sounds strange....but just a thought.  

Tracy, thanks for replying!  I have also read something else about sensing/relating to spirits:I had read that someone kept losing things around their house, so one day they decided to tell the resident 'spirit' to give back the item.  When they walked into another room, the item was right there!  So I was looking for a certain book, I paused in the middle of the room, said, "Where the heck is that book that was just right here?" And something made me look under a  table(I swear I had placed it ON another table the day before)and there it was(you gotta admit, it worked!) :D

• 3 months later...

What if the physical manifestations (ie orbs, etc) are something we make ourselves see in order to alleviate our minds in regards to the feelings we get? IE, we sense a presence, and then our minds visualize this? as far as ghost photos, what of the telepathic photography experiments done in the fifies-sixties? could it all be linked? something to think about.

Chris

Chris,

That is a good point to ponder. Which is stronger:your telepathic abilities or your imagination?

You mentioned telepathic photography experiments, could you elaborate on that? Thanks.

NORA

I remember reading an article about a man who claimed to be psychic, who would stare at a regular 35mm Camera, and place images on the film just by thinking at it. As to whether or not this is truthful, is another thing. Ill try and dig the story back up.

Chris

I think there might be a difference between spirits and ghosts. When someone perceives a ghost it usually resembles the body it left with. Most ghost cases I've heard of are due to traumatic stress before death...sometimes the "spirit" doesn't want or believe it's body has perished, thus lingering in limbo as a ghost. So  a good question is... does your spirit have a physical appearance it carries through every life...maybe looking slightly different than the last, or is it an clear entity taking on new shapely bodies every time?